HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I have this idea planted in my mind.

How the Supercub, and flylite I own attach the wings on the plane via rubberband.I think I may go that route, for certain reasons.

A) no more loss of paint when opening/closing.

B) transportation via travel, and compact box.

This also leads to the attachment of the 808 keycam?

If the tape is all off, and wing rests on the upper fuse, the band has to attach/wrap on to the lower fuse? I do not see the back needing any support, just in case. a band already on and can be slid up that does not interfere with the rods?

For the 808 would be maybe a pouch or sling with bands on each side, and placing to the same area where the wing bands hold. Not all teh time the cam goes on, so they should be seperate.

Early on Astronaunt did a magnet set up. I think a band is better. But not for the wing he did for opening/closing the whole plane.

Again ifeel this is a great idea and solution for me, if all fails, back to the tapeing. Just a idea. when observing.

added note

Justsome out loud thoughts seeing the champ and maybe how to hold the wing, fuseetc...

1 rubber band braces they are small,
2 plastic tabs pressed in
3 metal clips pressed in
3 plastic screw on top wing (not good)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
201 Posts
DX6i binding issue update: I posted a few days ago about problems with my DX6i having to rebind when I change flight batteries. But I figured it out yesterday when I flew again with my son doing the buddy box thing with my DX5. I disconnect the trainer cord, and then pull the flight battery and then if I don't cycle the TX on-off switch before putting in a fresh flight battery the airplane goes into bind mode, but when I do cycle the TX power off and then on before connecting the lipo it works as it should. So there must be something going on with the buddy box mode that causes this if the master TX isn't cycled when changing lipos in the airplane?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Hey, what's the best way to add lights to my Champ now? (All those kits from Tiny Brite Lights and SFDesignSolutions are no longer available.)

Is it best to buy some other kit and modify it, or should I build from scratch?

I've gotten all the new parts for my rebuild of the champ and I've done three coats of SkyCadet's glue mod. I'm waiting for my 808 camera in the mail. But I ain't done modding this plane. I need lights, dangit!
I'd like to know this as well. It's that time of year where it's getting dark shortly after getting home from work and I'd like to be able to get a flight or two in at night.

I've tried finding those kits but he doesn't make them anymore. Anyone know of a vendor? If not...anyone interested in starting a small business? I'll be your first customer
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
DX6i binding issue update: I posted a few days ago about problems with my DX6i having to rebind when I change flight batteries. But I figured it out yesterday when I flew again with my son doing the buddy box thing with my DX5. I disconnect the trainer cord, and then pull the flight battery and then if I don't cycle the TX on-off switch before putting in a fresh flight battery the airplane goes into bind mode, but when I do cycle the TX power off and then on before connecting the lipo it works as it should. So there must be something going on with the buddy box mode that causes this if the master TX isn't cycled when changing lipos in the airplane?

I am really happy you have managed to sort this out

Hope you and your son have many happy flying hours ahead of you

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
I'd like to know this as well. It's that time of year where it's getting dark shortly after getting home from work and I'd like to be able to get a flight or two in at night.

I've tried finding those kits but he doesn't make them anymore. Anyone know of a vendor? If not...anyone interested in starting a small business? I'll be your first customer
If you can find a supplier that sells the Blade Tandem Navigation Lights replacement part you could use that, it is usually around $5.99
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
If you can find a supplier that sells the Blade Tandem Navigation Lights replacement part you could use that, it is usually around $5.99
Like this:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/replaceme...29455_prd1.htm

Any tutorials on how to install?
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:06 AM
Not dumb, just un-enlightened.
United States, NC, Merritt
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Probably a dumb idea....but no one ever accused me....well, anyway, has anyone tried to turn Champ into bi-plane? fasten old broken wing halves to fuselage under main wing?
I just bought my Champ and was reading all the great mods. Tundra tires is gonna be first.
CaptJ42 is offline Find More Posts by CaptJ42
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJ42 View Post
Probably a dumb idea....but no one ever accused me....well, anyway, has anyone tried to turn Champ into bi-plane? fasten old broken wing halves to fuselage under main wing?
I just bought my Champ and was reading all the great mods. Tundra tires is gonna be first.
Yes, this was done by a Few members. Even extending the wing
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJ42 View Post
I have the Tundra tires on my Champ. I love the look and the way she flys. Very scale like and the tires make for great takeoff's, landings and touch 'n goes. My partner and I found a baseball field...Astro Turf! Awesome! IMHO, if you like the bi-plane look,,, you should consider a UM Beast. They seem to get snapped up pretty quick in the "For Sale" section of RCG. Why change the Champ flight characteristics Because it's there

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post

This guy makes the best light kits I have seen.
http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/

He is not always open but if you can catch him when he is you get fast, personal service. The Champ kits have to be soldered to the battery wires. Actually he doesn't list the Champ but just tell him what you want.

There is a thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1481704
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,241 Posts
I hear "North_of_49" has a nice set of lights he makes. They look nice I'm lucky I can see the Champ during daylight hours. Never mind dusk or night flying

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:10 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I hear "North_of_49" has a nice set of lights he makes. They look nice I'm lucky I can see the Champ during daylight hours. Never mind dusk or night flying

Mike.
And I might have to transfer them over to the new fuse soon after cracking the original in half... not looking forward to it which is why I haven't done it yet... and still need to maiden the Super Cub (have one more bushwheel to make for it and proper scale wing struts) which is actually higher on my list of things to do ... want to get both of these birds in the air and with floats before water freezes over

But, like I mentioned last week, I have one more week of work at my seasonal job then I'll have all winter to "play" ... I will post here soon or maybe on my blog an in depth description of my LED light mod (but probably minus the DIY strobe circuit).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Hey north where is your blog?? I definitely want 1 set if not 2 sets
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
Hey north where is your blog?? I definitely want 1 set if not 2 sets
Ha ha

When you click my name my blog is what you see at my profile...

I'm not makin' and sellin' 'em though... I'll just do a write-up there what I did to put mine together... when I have some time (soon, but at least another week).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
That's cool brother I'm in no hurry. Just wanted to make sure I know when your doing them lol
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45