SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2010, 11:26 AM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken hawk View Post
I was going to weight it last night but forgot. I did however get the video to upload. Pictures of the setup will be coming soon.
http://www.vimeo.com/11483673

Wow Chicken.. the more vids I see from GoPro the more I need one.
Please do post mounting pics and details when you can.

Peace,
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2010, 07:07 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Finally got around to doing some pictures. It weights in at just under 3 lbs but will likely be more after I add the OSD. I FPVed it yesterday and the video range wasn't very good so I will likely add another battery for the FPV gear.

The camera is mounted low in the plane. I still want to use it for combat with the Gopro attached.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old May 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Here is another video I shot during a small combat swarm a couple of weeks ago. You will see a few Titans and I think a couple Assasins in the vid.
Sod Farm 5-8-10 (4 min 32 sec)
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old May 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
The plane can carry the weight and is still stable. I like the video.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 20, 2010, 05:02 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I'm planning a night flyer and having a heck of a time choosing a platform. So many good options out there. The Grim Reaper is one such option. I want my night flyer to fly as slow as possible, durability is important but it doesn't necessarily have to be fully combat tough. I already have a TR 35-30C 1100kv motor, 40A Sentry and a few 3S 2200mah packs. Would that provide adequate power for a slow flying Grim Reaper? If so what prop would you recommend? I'd order another motor but I don't think it would get here in time for an event I'm planning on using the plane at. Already cutting it close having not even ordered a kit yet or started the build.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old May 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
I'm planning a night flyer and having a heck of a time choosing a platform. So many good options out there. The Grim Reaper is one such option. I want my night flyer to fly as slow as possible, durability is important but it doesn't necessarily have to be fully combat tough. I already have a TR 35-30C 1100kv motor, 40A Sentry and a few 3S 2200mah packs. Would that provide adequate power for a slow flying Grim Reaper? If so what prop would you recommend? I'd order another motor but I don't think it would get here in time for an event I'm planning on using the plane at. Already cutting it close having not even ordered a kit yet or started the build.
Good combination, just keep it light for the slowest flight.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:43 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Thanks Lee.

What prop would you recommend using with the 35-30C 1100kv motor?

What's your current estimated turnaround time on a Grim Reaper order?
Old May 21, 2010, 08:00 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Lee.

What prop would you recommend using with the 35-30C 1100kv motor?

What's your current estimated turnaround time on a Grim Reaper order?
We keep all of our planes in stock. Planes ship out in 0-3 working days.

I'm guessing that a 10x6 or 11x6 prop would be a good guess as a place to start but it is only a guess I have not flown that motor.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:01 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Cool, thanks.

Done deal, just placed my order. I'm very much looking forward to building/flying my "Night Reaper". Woo hoo.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:52 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Do you think 10mil laminate would be as strong or stronger than extreme tape? I have 150 feet of the stuff collecting dust.
Last edited by trees; May 25, 2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 25, 2010, 07:36 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
The extreme tape is for tensile strength in various places the 10 mil wont necessarily add. I have used 10 mil on a assassin and titan. They extra weight should not be a worry although Lee might advise against it.
Use both extreme tape and 10 mil laminate.
C
cliffo is online now Find More Posts by cliffo
Old May 25, 2010, 08:13 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I understand what the extreme tape is for (not being a wise ), just didn't know if specific tensile strength comparisons had been made between the products. I can't imagine they haven't. As you know 10mil is tough stuff but I haven't covered something with it merely to tear it apart as a test. Maybe I should do that. The only reason I ask is because I have so much 10mil and no extreme tape, plus if the lam was similar in strength it would provide a cleaner finish. I was thinking of using the 10mil just where the packing tape would normally be and on the LE, then cover the whole plane with 3mil like normal. I was intending to spray this wing so the look of the strapping tape will cramp my style. If 10mil is highly discouraged as a substitute for extreme tape I may do one of two things: 1. Tape as instructed, scuff the tape with sandpaper, prime, paint, laminate or 2. Consider an iron on color scheme (which I really don't want to do)

I just thought of a fun, non-scientific test.

Take two 1x1' sheets of cardboard, cover one with 10 mil laminate and the other with extreme tape (both sides of the cardboard). Clamp them each in a vise (separately) and see which one is harder to tear out of the vice jaws.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
Quote:
Do you think 10mil laminate would be as strong or stronger than extreme tape? I have 150 feel of the stuff collecting dust.
The 10 mil is heavy and hard to wrap the corners. It is very strong.

Lee
Old May 25, 2010, 08:48 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
The extreme tape is for tensile strength in various places the 10 mil wont necessarily add. I have used 10 mil on a assassin and titan. They extra weight should not be a worry although Lee might advise against it.
Use both extreme tape and 10 mil laminate.
C
The Reaper is a big plane and needs to be strong but it takes a lot of covering and would be tail heavy with the 10 mil laminate. You might want to just put a strip around the leading edge and use the regular 3 mil for the rest of the plane.