Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products

Quanum Cyclops FPV Goggles - First Look

Quanum has just released a new entry level pair of video goggles that make FPV easy and affordable...

Splash

New Entry Level Video Goggles

Quanum has just released a new entry level pair of video goggles that make FPV easy and affordable. Their popular DIY goggles have been the go to set for those on a budget, but you do need to build the goggles and add on your receiver. The wiring hangs out and looks like a do-it-yourself unit, but that is not the case with the Cyclops.

The Cyclops comes ready to go out of the box, you'll just need to add your own battery to power them. The goggles are $58 and feature a hard shell plastic case, a built in 5" TFT 800x480 monitor, a 40 channel 5.8Ghz receiver with auto scan, menu buttons, a three-way adjustable head strap, comfort foam and an adjustable focal length 3X magnification lens. That's a lot of bang for your buck! I really like the easy access autoscan button for quickly finding the channel you are on or scanning through to watch others flying. The box it arrives in doubles as a nifty carry case with a handle, bonus! They feel good on your face with the pre-installed foam padding, but it weighs on your nose a bit since it's relatively long and slightly heavier with the hard plastic shell, but after some FPV sessions with it, they feel and work great.

The Cyclops doesn't have the best display, the most features, or the hottest look, but they weren't designed for that. The Cyclops is designed to get people started in FPV for a low entry cost. They are also perfect to have as a backup set or as an extra pair to share with your buddies or spectators. Check out the new Quanum Cyclops FPV Goggles at HobbyKing.

Old Jun 01, 2016, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by rclab1
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
6,161 Posts
There's literally 4 threads on this cheap HMD already, why add a new one?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jun 01, 2016, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by Jason Cole
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
9,098 Posts
This is the official RCGroups news story that gets showcased on the channel page, home page and linked in the RCGroups email. That's why.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Jun 01, 2016, 11:28 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
6,161 Posts
Oooooops...lol
I also forgot your a mod:-/
Old Jun 01, 2016, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Spartacus Rex
Leaf on the wind
Joined Apr 2016
131 Posts
$58 w/ a case? Wow... now I have a little buyers remorse for the Eachine EV800's I'm waiting on.
Spartacus Rex is offline Find More Posts by Spartacus Rex
Old Jun 01, 2016, 02:06 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
6,161 Posts
Is there a way to use external VidRX? (ie...1.3)
Disable included 5.8ghzVideoRX.
Old Jun 01, 2016, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
8,473 Posts
I have to applaud HK for this whole range of low cost integrated goggles. Well done, this one looks great
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 01, 2016, 06:22 PM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
9,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Is there a way to use external VidRX? (ie...1.3)
Disable included 5.8ghzVideoRX.
It's 5.8ghz only. There is no AV in on these.
Administrator
Old Jun 01, 2016, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by jishi
Joined Oct 2015
198 Posts
Are you paid to advertise it like this? Or you just have fun making topics like this
jishi is offline Find More Posts by jishi
Old Jun 01, 2016, 06:53 PM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
9,098 Posts
Part of my job here at RCGroups is to create news stories daily. You can check them all out on the channel pages at the top of the site.
Administrator
Old Jun 01, 2016, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by jishi
Joined Oct 2015
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
Part of my job here at RCGroups is to create news stories daily. You can check them all out on the channel pages at the top of the site.
But do the companies pay RCgroups for their product to be posted here? It really seems like so because you have a history of reviewing mediocre products and never being negative
Old Jun 01, 2016, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by inteleric1983
Kiowa Driver
United States, SD, Vermillion
Joined Nov 2005
234 Posts
Seems like an excellent option for beginners or that second set for spectators. Can't beat that price.
inteleric1983 is offline Find More Posts by inteleric1983
Old Jun 01, 2016, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by inteleric1983
Kiowa Driver
United States, SD, Vermillion
Joined Nov 2005
234 Posts
I'm not sure they are mediocre. I have the 2 sets of the Quanum V2's and I think they have a good clarity, especially for the price. For being 1/10th of the cost of Fatsharks I think this is a good entry level option. The goggle investment can be prohibitively expensive for those looking to try FPV. This lets them get their foot in the door and can even be a stepping stone to pursuing higher end models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishi View Post
But do the companies pay RCgroups for their product to be posted here? It really seems like so because you have a history of reviewing mediocre products and never being negative
inteleric1983 is offline Find More Posts by inteleric1983
Old Jun 01, 2016, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by jishi
Joined Oct 2015
198 Posts
Goggles are the one thing you shouldn't cheap out on. You can use a fat shark dominator for 3 years. You will never use this for more than a few months, and the subpar experience you get from it may actually discourage you from getting into the hobby more
Old Jun 01, 2016, 08:50 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
6,161 Posts
Making these should be easy as 1...2....and 3.....
All you really need is a proven monitor for FPV, a very sensitve VideoRX,
and a High Quality Fresnel LENS.

Heres mine from 3 years ago....still works and comfy