Old May 10, 2016, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
Joined Jun 2011
314 Posts
Discussion
Next step up from KK2.1.5

Hi All,
I'm an old boater who dabbled with basic quadrotors and had a bit of fun but found the altitude and bearing hard to control. I don't do acro or racing and just what a more stable flight and wondered what might be a step up from the KK2.1.5.
I thought baro and mag sensors would be required along with a pluggable GPS option. I don't need telemetry (do I?)

Options I've looked at include
CC3D Nano/Atom. Are they much the same and do they have baro and mag sensors (they never seem to get mentioned). Still well supported?

Kiss Don't know much about it - strange shaped pcb.

Any others I should consider?

Cheers,
David
KiwiDavid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2016, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Oldgazer
FA3PR9WM79
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
6,247 Posts
With the exception of Self Level, the KK is a manual flight controller, so YOU have to fly the aircraft, and that takes practice, practice and more practice.

By practice I mean you have to go out with a goal in mind. I recommend starting off by working on establishing and maintaining a stable hover at about 10 to 15 feet away and between shoulder and eye level.

Choose times when there is little to no wind. If the aircraft "gets away" from you, land, disarm, and put the aircraft back where you started, take a deep breath and start again. Before you know it your hands will automatically make corrections and you can pretty much "park" the aircraft anywhere you want to.

When you get that down you can start doing side slips. Feed in just a touch of Aileron (roll) and a touch of throttle to maintain altitude. Feed in opposite Aileron to stop, hover for a few seconds, and then move the aircraft in the opposite direction. Rinse and repeat. If the aircraft "gets away", land, disarm, put it back at your starting point, take that deep breath and start again.

When you get that down you can start doing the same thing moving the aircraft forwards and backwards.

The real key to getting these maneuvers down is using small easy stick inputs.

One last thing for now: When you arm the motors, get the aircraft off of the ground "smartly." You don't need to send it into orbit, but you do need to get the aircraft up. The reason is if the flight controller is in Self Level mode and you sit on the ground and gingerly add throttle, the flight controller is trying to get the aircraft level. Because the aircraft is not moving, the FC tries harder to find level, and when you do break ground the aircraft may flip or crash.
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old May 11, 2016, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
Joined Jun 2011
314 Posts
Hi Oldgazer,
Many thanks for the valuable information.
I can do a (nearly) reasonable job of this already but as you mention - wind throws another offset in to the picture and the gyro seems to constantly drift even when acclimatized. I have a very basic HK Tx so this might be replaced soon so the throttle is not as touchy.
You describe beautifully the take off situation and I have developed a "hop" start to overcome this.
Thanks again.

Cheers,
David
KiwiDavid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiDavid