Old Jan 30, 2016, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by PabloM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
154 Posts
Discussion
EPP construction methods - "Japanese Style"

So I'm currently infatuated with the Hokusei Wingray, but I'd like to build something similar on my own. It looks like it's 100% EPP skinned, and it looks pretty slick:

http://www.hokusei-japan.com/product...ro-epp-38.html

I particularly like the EPP canopy and it's smooth transition to the turtle deck, and the EPP cowl. From what I've read, the trick there is to build a plug, less the thickness of the EPP, and use that to form, trim, pull, and fit the EPP to it. Does a little bit of heat help? And then maybe coat the inside with something to help it keep it's shape? The material looks pretty thin, maybe 3 or 4mm?

Second, the wing looks built-up and probably formed with some ribs and spars. That looks simple enough, but what makes a durable, but still thin enough EPP skin? Would 6mm be too thick?

Then the fuselage looks like it has a balsa / carbon sub-structure, so nothing too crazy there.

I looked at RC Foam, but they're all out of EPP... any alternate sources? Maybe Flying Foam can cut thinner material? I could also get them to just cut a solid wing...

If anyone has photos, or advice, in building a similar EPP plane, I would appreciate it. I've searched through this forum and I did find one post along the lines of what I'm looking for:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...p#post31127251

But more info would be appreciated, along with any tips or ideas to try. I'm also looking for a source for some of this material.
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by photohap
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Nov 2014
169 Posts
try graysonhobbies.com

they have epp foam
photohap is offline Find More Posts by photohap
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by leadfeather
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
10,407 Posts
Two that come to mind here in this forum are the Mini Cassut and the Silent Mite.

Added: Aero Andy Spitfire
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 31, 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by PabloM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
154 Posts
photohap - Thanks for the tip on Grayson Hobbies. Looks like they have the thinner EPP sheets in 1.3#

leadfeather - I actually have seen those posts, but I guess it was a while back and I forgot... Seeing pictures of the Mini Cassut build gave me some ideas.

Now I guess I just need to order some EPP and get started. It may take a few versions before it's something I like, but that's part of the fun.

And it's also why I'll probably build a simple profile to replace my old worn out RC Factory Flash so I'll actually have something to fly...

Thanks.
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
Last edited by PabloM; Jan 31, 2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added PDF...