Old Jul 07, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by RedDwarfIV
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Discussion
Retracts for Northstar

I'm building a heavily modified EDF Northstar seaplane, and I'm planning to fit retractable gear to it. I have some ideas on how to fit the gears and how to set up the doors to keep water out, along with waterproofing the gear bays.

If you want to know my plan for doing it, you can ask, but I'm keeping it to myself because I'd prefer to know how you guys would do it if you were making it first.
RedDwarfIV is offline Find More Posts by RedDwarfIV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by pmisuinas
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Feb 2000
1,607 Posts
I would use electric retracts suitably protected by Corrosion X. Doors would be pretty much a standard installation, but with a bit of a slanted "splash rail" on the leading edge of the retract opening.
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
I would use electric retracts suitably protected by Corrosion X. Doors would be pretty much a standard installation, but with a bit of a slanted "splash rail" on the leading edge of the retract opening.
Okay. I have electric servoless gear. I can't find much about what a splash rail is or how it would protect a landing gear bay. Mind expanding on that?
Old Jul 09, 2015, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,607 Posts
See drawing....
Old Jul 11, 2015, 09:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
See drawing....
Ah.

Something about the Northstar is, it's a delta-wing, so the space between the wing section's central box and innermost wing rib is perfect for housing gear without having to weaken the ribs with cutouts.

(Image from ElectricDan)

I could probably put a splash rail in front of the gear opening.

The image you put up showed the gearwell cover being flush with the wing. Would it be problematic if I had my gear outside the wing, so that it would completely cover the gearwell? I imagine a splashrail would help the air go over the cover.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,765 Posts
If you are doing trike gear, how about the Cessna style retracts that swing back --

Cessna 210M landing gear extension and retraction (0 min 29 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 11, 2015, 01:29 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,607 Posts
Yes, I know the NS is a delta wing, I have built 2 of them (still have one). You can do gear cover any way you like, my preference is to have it flush with the wing (I have lips on the inside of the well for the gear door to lay on--a front rail helps keep water out of the front, and the overlap helps keep it out of the back).

I didn't install gear on my current NS, just flying it on the fuse bottom, but wish I had installed it now. Something about a plane that big not being on wheels when on land...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
If you are doing trike gear, how about the Cessna style retracts that swing back --

-snip-
I couldn't make much sense out of that video. Do you mind re-phrasing it?

Quote:
Yes, I know the NS is a delta wing, I have built 2 of them (still have one). You can do gear cover any way you like, my preference is to have it flush with the wing (I have lips on the inside of the well for the gear door to lay on--a front rail helps keep water out of the front, and the overlap helps keep it out of the back).

I didn't install gear on my current NS, just flying it on the fuse bottom, but wish I had installed it now. Something about a plane that big not being on wheels when on land...
Oh, cool. I imagine a flush cover looks better, but I'm concerned about keeping water out of the well as much as possible.

Or should I assume water will always get into the gear well, go with the better-looking solution, and just see if I can find a way to let any water that gets in drop back out after take-off?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2000
1,607 Posts
Good question. I would think the wing gear won't be an issue, and using your gear door idea would likely do better keeping water out. Putting on a spray well would make that even more so, I think. But for the nose gear, I think you have to assume you can't keep all the water out and will need to install a drain plug at the back of the well to let it out after takeoff...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Good question. I would think the wing gear won't be an issue, and using your gear door idea would likely do better keeping water out. Putting on a spray well would make that even more so, I think. But for the nose gear, I think you have to assume you can't keep all the water out and will need to install a drain plug at the back of the well to let it out after takeoff...
Thanks.

I have a fanboat I built a few years ago. I keep the electronics safe in a waterproof Tupperware box. I imagine one would make a good sealed gearwell, if I used fibreglass between the edges of the opening and the bottom of the box. Assuming I can get one long enough for gear to fit in, and thin enough for it to fit in a Northstar fuselage, anyway.

r/c learjet landing gear doors (5 min 9 sec)

This guy built landing gear doors which use rubber bands to hold them open. I reckon I could design landing gear doors which use rubber bands to hold them closed. I was planning to do this with all three gear doors, but if we assume the forward gearwell will always get water in it, then I can use the guy's automatically-open design which simplifies the closing.