HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:04 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
Cool
New Extra from Fliton

Hi all,

I was wanted to give you guys a heads up of a new plane that myself and Fliton have been working on over the past few months. This airplane is based off the popular Mini extra with a few minor mods that I suggested and we have put this plane in my scheme. This is the second prototype and the flying is going great. The main thing I have noticed with many wooden park flyers are there lack of side area which hinders the knife edge performance greatly.

Here are some pics:
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:12 AM
JAS
United States
Joined Sep 2003
221 Posts
Teaser

Don't be shy about it, tell us a bit more. Where's the specs, equipment used, availability date... dude, give us more info. And please get a taller tail wheel...lol. Lemme help ya out. I've even got a pic or 2 of the first prototype...

Wingspan:
Weight:
Radio:
Servos:
RX:
Motor:
Controller:
Battery:
Projected Date Available:

An Andrew Fan... hahaha
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:49 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
Shulman thanks a bunch I didnt post to much cuz of the prototype but here it goes

Wingspan: 51"
Weight: 48oz
Radio:Spectrum
Servos:Hitec 65's/ JR 341's
RX:Spectrum
Motor:A30-10xl
Controller:X-40
Battery:Extreme series 3s1p 2070 thunder power
Projected Date Available:1 month

There you go Jason, if you could please post the pics of the plane with the models.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:44 AM
JAS
United States
Joined Sep 2003
221 Posts
Sure bud... here they are. Be prepared, the following pictures do have Andrew's Extra in them. You just have to find it.
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:27 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
The models look great...

As far as the airplane, well, I'm still trying to find it

Looks great Andrew. See you guys at the Masters!

Take Care,
JPG
John Glezellis is offline Find More Posts by John Glezellis
Old Aug 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
John,

Thanks a bunch, I will see about getting you one of these if you want. I have been flying mine more and more and love it. Flys like a really big plane in both 3d and Imac style maneuvers.

Andrew
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:26 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Andrew,

The extra looks great, I love this size of airplane. I was wondering about the battery pack you are using on your extra. Even with this pack being the new TP extreme, wouldn't you be pushing it quite a bit with a AUW of 48oz.? Seems like something on 3s2p or a 4s pack might be a better solution. Your thoughts? Thanks, hey when are we going to see you at the Flying Tigers club again? Are you headed to Thistledowns in a couple of weeks? Thanks

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
Tim,

With the new extreme thunderpowers I get about 8 minutes of 3d/imac flying. I think this is pretty good time. Maybe a better power solution would be the evo2500 packs or even like you said the 4s setup. I will be at thustledowns and will have the airplane there. I will have it for all to fly.

Andrew
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:17 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy91
Tim,

With the new extreme thunderpowers I get about 8 minutes of 3d/imac flying. I think this is pretty good time. Maybe a better power solution would be the evo2500 packs or even like you said the 4s setup. I will be at thustledowns and will have the airplane there. I will have it for all to fly.

Andrew
Excellent, thanks Andrew!! If I am not mistaken I believe there is open flying after 6:00p.m. which I would assume means all types of planes. If so I would like to bring my EF Extra 300 and SA Edge 540 for show-and-tell. Might send Corky a message on that. See you in a few weeks.

Tim
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
Sounds good. I would like to see what everyone thinks about this plane. Hope to see you next weekend.

Andrew
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:53 PM
ohio
Joined Jun 2003
130 Posts
Andrew says...........therrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee ggrrreeeaaaaaaaaaaatt
spruce232 is offline Find More Posts by spruce232
Old Aug 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
They don't call him the "Animal" for nothing.

Tim
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:06 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,638 Posts
Nice spruce you and BPWG hanging out? Just kidding. There is another thread started in the 3d section that had someone else in Cali fly the plane they really liked it as well.

Andrew
Old Sep 05, 2006, 03:03 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
It is great to see that Fliton had added a decorator to their payroll to go along with their great plane designers. The covering scheme is missing the usual party favor look. Thank goodness.

A great flying, good size model that can fly on 3s - awesome. Looks like my E3D may be gearless in a few months.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Last edited by mexico; Sep 05, 2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2006, 03:29 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
I guess you'll find people arguing the opposite regarding the trim scheme. I for one really like Fliton's traditional "party favor look." The design and color scheme are very nicely done, typical of the F3A contest ships. I like them probably because I could never do them as pretty back before ARFs were the norm.

with that said, this particular Extra is not bad looking at all. The "checker" bottom makes it very visible. And there's just something about Red/White/Blue that makes the plane stand out.

The good thing about this plane is the flexbility of power plants. It can be equipped as a light 3D flyer like how Andrew has it setup. But the airframe is so strong that it can take higher power motors. Not that it needs any since the airframe is so light. But overpowering is just fun!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280