HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:16 AM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
Discussion
$$$ How Much Have You Spent On Rc?? $$$

I know a lot of people would rather not calculate, but I'm wondering how much people have spent, who has spent the most, and just how much are we talking about? I've been in the game for a short time (since XMas this year) and have already dropped a good chunk of change. I'm at about $1200 or so. You?
Spark
Sparkorama is offline Find More Posts by Sparkorama
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:30 AM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
hey the funny thing is. that i am only 13 i live with my bro and my sis and mom and dad and me and my dad probobly have about 6 grand in the hobby not including all of the part swe have laying around.. here is what we have...
7 gas a 4 electrics.....gas. corsair, gas. ugly stick, gas. hobbico, gas. cap 232,gas super sporster, gas. right flyer trainer, gas. spitfire...........
electric . mini super sportster, electric slow stick, electric. spitfire, electric. cessna 182, electric corsair..... oh yah forgot to mention the 2 helecopters.... i have only been flying for 4 years...... 6,000 $$$$$$$$
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:14 AM
"Each Day Is A Lesson"
Goldsboro, NC
Joined May 2004
2,442 Posts
They foreclosed on my house, reposed my car, my wife left me, and I haven't eaten in a week, BUT as soon as I get two new LiPo's and a new brushless motor everything will be great.

DD
diver don is offline Find More Posts by diver don
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:28 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkorama
I know a lot of people would rather not calculate, but I'm wondering how much people have spent, who has spent the most, and just how much are we talking about? I've been in the game for a short time (since XMas this year) and have already dropped a good chunk of change. I'm at about $1200 or so. You?
Spark
Just spent $700 on a Evo12... and a whole new learning curve on the TX.
the customisability of the EVo is fantastic.
yesterday another $100 on a simulator.
my old Hitec eclipse 7. $400
then i cant bear think about the electronics.
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:47 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,113 Posts
hmm "playing" for a few years 3 years of onroad racing 1 year of vigourous offroad nitro bashing misc. other "toys" a couple fo helis and now 2 planes. i recon i would break close to 10K and im 19 years old been doing this for 6ish years,
i have had one of everything except glow planes and glow helis, have had all scales (1:32-1:8) of cars EP and GP on and off road, EP and GP boats ,you name it.
and i know lots more than i would think worthy of my brainspace. oh well
i find RC very addictive
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:08 AM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
905 Posts
i would guess i spend $500-$1000/year
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:45 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,828 Posts
I have spent about 2...

2 DANG MUCH!!!
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:02 AM
fff> Fly Foam for Fun
Roanoke VA
Joined Sep 2003
372 Posts
I have come to realise that some people have Alcohol and some have drugs and I have ....... RC .

With almost 100 models of every thing that moves to chose from sometimes I just sit there and stare jiggling like a broke sack of jello.

NFH
nofuelheli is offline Find More Posts by nofuelheli
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:56 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,348 Posts
All of it

I spend all of it.

Paul Siegle once was asked that question (how much he spends a year) by a non RCer. He simply answered "all of it".

You spend all that you have to spend. If you have $100 to spend on RC, that is what you will spend. If you have 10,000 to spend, that is what you will spend.

So I spend all of it. All of it is usually at least $500 a year, but sometimes pushes $1000. In 1999 I flew a contest in San Diego and one on Long Island, so travel just to that alone exceeded the $1000. In 2001, I flew a contest in San Diego and one in Seattle. But since then, no "fly away" contests.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,313 Posts
There was a conversation at my lhs with the owner a couple of months ago , I have ben spending a fair amount and wanted to know how much was the most in a year . He replied one guy spent $30,000 ( all time record) one year and some guys go to $10,000 here and there . He keeps very good records so I dont doubt him .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:23 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
I dont want to know. Been in it for 10 years and know enough not to add it up...id like to hold my lunch down, thank you.

You know for 6 grand you could have your real pilots license, just throwing that out there.
gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:39 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Well, my "Toys-R-Us" foamie experiment has set me back about $300-$350 - and that includes the purchase of a new charger, battery packs, radio system, motors, etc. Of course, now my 11 year old daughter is hooked, so dad (me) likely won't make her spend her allowance on a plane - I'll probably give her the foamie and buy a new one for me (plane, radio, batteries, etc.).

Ah yes, so it begins, eh?
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far less than some of my buddies have spent on golf...
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:55 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime242

You know for 6 grand you could have your real pilots license, just throwing that out there.
Sure, but you couldn't just "pop up a flight after work". Or "go for a walk with the family and after the walk while the wife and the kids play on the slides get a bit of flying in".

Everything is a trade off. I too have thought "man, I could be flying for real for this $" but then I realize with my life and schedule that might transition into flying once or twice a month, rather than the 10 times a month I fly now.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:15 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkorama
$$$ How Much Have You Spent On Rc?? $$$
Way too much but not nearly enough.