HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2014, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Build Log
V922 2S brushless conversion and various brushless mods

This is a simple build log of my 2s brushless conversion using a mix and match combo of the V922 electrics comprising of the 3in1 board and servos, the H377 frame and swash and the Trex 150 skids. This is not meant to be a tutorial coz I won't be able to spend the time to explain every step involved to make this go together but I'll try to answer any questions if they come up.

I've decided to post my version of the 2s conversion that don't use an external converter or an extra BEC to power the 3in1 board and servos. This version I'm showing here is with the 2s tail motor.

Parts I used are mainly from Hobbyking and Banggood
Ch05XL main motor
Turnigy Plush 12A main esc
AP03 tail motor
HK10A tail esc
8T pinion gear
H377 frame
H377 swash

Here's a link to a more detailed explaination on making the V922 frame work with a H377 swash. This mod corrects the anti rotation guide and swash of the V922 to eliminate swash interaction with cyclic input and makes flying the heli more predictable and much smoother.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=140
joeclone is online now Find More Posts by joeclone
Last edited by joeclone; Mar 04, 2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: add link
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2014, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Part 2
Here's a look of the basic layout of the wiring

This is the esc I'm using for the main motor, Turnigy Plush 12A. It comes with a bec build in to the board rated at 2A but further checking of the components I'd say it's a 1A rated. But since the V922 board + servos take in something like 800mA I'm sure it's enough.

A closer look at the esc board with the shrink wrap removed

The toughest part of this conversion is to solder on the flash plug for BLheli, really need steady hands to get at those tiny pads.

I soldered on a micro plug for the main motor connection to make it easier to do any work on the heli.

The bec output from the esc goes directly to the 3in1 board supplying about 4.9 volts. I decided not to use any diodes or step downs coz I wanted to have a simple conversion here. Also I know that the 3in1 has got 3 regulators stepping down voltages to 3 volts and 2.8 volts supplying power to the MCU, gyro chip, RF chip and the EEPROM and they can take 6 volts input. There's also a regulator on each of the servos stepping down voltage from the input to 3 volts going to the onboard MCU, so thats covered too. But for those thinking about doing this mod and wanna go the save route you can put a 1N4001 diode in series with the bec power to the 3in1 board and that should bring your down to about 4.7 volts.

Last edited by joeclone; Feb 10, 2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Part 3
On to the tail;
Well nothing special done to the tail esc to get it working with the 2s tail, the HK 10A is capable to run 1-2s so it's just a matter of soldering on some wires for the batt input and signal and it's good to go. It's already got the flash plug build into the board itself so thats one less hassle to content with.

I decided to go with the AP03 motor just for the fun of doing something different and besides it's cheaper than the other 2s tail motors. I did a thrust test on this motor against the 1s HK 12000kv using 2 different tail blades, one from a MJX F47 and another from a MCPX.
With the F47 prop the 12000kv 1s came out with 27.6 grams and the AP03 tops that with a massive 40.6 grams. Testing using the smaller MCPX prop the 12000kv 1s produces about 18 grams and the AP03 still ahead with 35.2 grams.
Even though the F47 prop produces more thrust than the mcpx but I find the smaller blade flies better and has less of the notorious tail wag of the V922 brushless tail.

Actually this is my second attempt at doing the 2s conversion, my first was using the step down converter and powering the 3in1 and 1s tail. To be totally honest I still prefer the first setup with a slightly longer flight time, most probably coz of the 2s tail which is quite a power zapper. I might try a different 2s tail motor sometime soon just to see how it works out.
Last edited by joeclone; Feb 10, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2014, 10:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2013
309 Posts
How big is the 12a plush esc? Can you please take a screenshot

Can the 3in1 take 5v or you modifed the esc to lower down the bec output?

Does the plush require a converter for it to work?

Your tail motor is also rated for 1s only based on the description at HK. Can it really take 2s?

I also have an incoming frame and swash of H377 good thing that you posted that here since I am not sure if it is compatible with v922. Now I am sure it will.
aED__ is offline Find More Posts by aED__
Old Feb 09, 2014, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
how much did all this cost?
helikido is offline Find More Posts by helikido
Old Feb 09, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Definitely cost more than what's it worth in plastics and metal
And I'll put more pics up in the second part, can't seem to find enough hours in a day.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aED__ View Post
How big is the 12a plush esc? Can you please take a screenshot

Can the 3in1 take 5v or you modifed the esc to lower down the bec output?

Does the plush require a converter for it to work?

Your tail motor is also rated for 1s only based on the description at HK. Can it really take 2s?

I also have an incoming frame and swash of H377 good thing that you posted that here since I am not sure if it is compatible with v922. Now I am sure it will.
The motor dun really care what voltage you're putting in, it's just the bearings that matter here. The motor is rated at 7000kv and the bearings are the same as the HK 12000kv motor so I'd say it's ok to do 2s on this motor.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:50 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,912 Posts
yes but at twice the voltage on the same prop it will try to pull ~4 times the amps ;)

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Feb 10, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
depends all things beging equal the board will only give it 1/2, the Trottel in 2s (and 100% only in short bursts)
IM back! is online now Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry View Post
yes but at twice the voltage on the same prop it will try to pull ~4 times the amps

phil
I've put in 15 flight packs on this motor and it comes down cool to lip touch, but the esc does feel warm to touch.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2013
309 Posts
How about the 3in1 is it safe to use 5v?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
I've updated more info in the later parts. Maybe some of the other V922 brushless modders could chime in and post some of their setups here.
Last edited by joeclone; Feb 10, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:00 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone View Post
I've put in 15 flight packs on this motor and it comes down cool to lip touch, but the esc does feel warm to touch.
yes because a brushless esc always pulls full amps, it just changes how long the on state is to change the output power

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2013
309 Posts
Thanks that covered all of my questions. I might probably finish my own 2s setup today
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,288 Posts
Good on that, maybe you could post your setup here when you're done. And some words of advice if you're thinking about using the H377 frame and swash setup with V922 parts. It dun fit without mods done and you need to use the H377 servo for the elevator coz the holes dun line up with the V922 servo.