Aviation Maintenance Manager
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Build Log
MITSUBISHI ZERO by ESM, Build.

ESM Zero. 88.7" Wing Span.
Finally got her today from TBM of FL.
This will be my very first warbird build, so suggestions are very much welcomed.
Ordered the factory electric retracts. TBM recommends DA-50 or DLE-50 for engine. Leaning on DA-50

Need suggestion on kind/brand of servos to use for the primary flight controls. Would like to install RELIABLE and BEST Quality servos.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
carrera mike is offline Find More Posts by carrera mike
Last edited by carrera mike; Dec 30, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:24 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
606 Posts
Zero's are terrific flyers! You will enjoy it. Go for the heavier of your engine choices. You will need nose weight. As for servos, I have been using the ones sold by Value Hobby, on page 3 of that category; TowerPro MG946R. I have had no problems with these for several years.

Enjoy your Zero!
Lifer is online now Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Zero's are terrific flyers! You will enjoy it. Go for the heavier of your engine choices. You will need nose weight. As for servos, I have been using the ones sold by Value Hobby, on page 3 of that category; TowerPro MG946R. I have had no problems with these for several years.

Enjoy your Zero!

Thanks! Great point on the engine weight. Much better to have the weight on the engine than adding lead.
Really looking forward to this build but will not rush it. I want it done right.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
flying weight would be around 18~20lbs, what minimum torque of the servos I should get?

TIA
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Nice looking kit. I've been looking at that one myself. I wonder if the XZY 53cc twin would fit? What's the width of the cowl where it joins with the fuselage?

I think any metal gear servo around 100 oz/in or more of torque would work OK. I've had good luck with Hitec servos. I have HS-985MG servos in my 83" FW-190 D9 on the elevator and ailerons and they are great. For the flaps, I went with HS-645MGs as they don't need much speed. I'm using LiFePo4 batts from Hobby King with no regulator, and the servos like the 6.6 volts the deliver. I'd recommend servos with less than .20 sec/60 degrees for the ailerons and elevator.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
Nice looking kit. I've been looking at that one myself. I wonder if the XZY 53cc twin would fit? What's the width of the cowl where it joins with the fuselage?

I think any metal gear servo around 100 oz/in or more of torque would work OK. I've had good luck with Hitec servos. I have HS-985MG servos in my 83" FW-190 D9 on the elevator and ailerons and they are great. For the flaps, I went with HS-645MGs as they don't need much speed. I'm using LiFePo4 batts from Hobby King with no regulator, and the servos like the 6.6 volts the deliver. I'd recommend servos with less than .20 sec/60 degrees for the ailerons and elevator.
Thanks! I'll measure the cowling.
Had a lot of research done today on servos plus help from some vets here.
I really like Futabas but looks like I'm going with the Savox digitals + Titanium Gears. They have tremendous torques too.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Tonight I was able to fuel proof the firewall and front formers with 20min epoxy.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
TGIF! Able to work on the wings and installed the aileron and flaps, plus getting them set up for the servo and horn.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Found a test pilot who's brave enough to do the functional check flights in a couple of months.
Last edited by carrera mike; Dec 30, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Looking good so far. That pilot looks like he means business!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:01 AM
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera mike View Post
TGIF! Able to work on the wings and installed the aileron and flaps, plus getting them set up for the servo and horn.
Mike, nice looking Zero, subscribed to your build log.

One safety tip: the wood blocks that act as servo mounts for ailerons and flaps may get torn off with vibration and flight forces. I use screws to secure them to the ply hatch.
w1nd6urfa is offline Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
Looking good so far. That pilot looks like he means business!
He sure does . and he looks like th efamous ace Saburo Sakai.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1nd6urfa View Post
Mike, nice looking Zero, subscribed to your build log.

One safety tip: the wood blocks that act as servo mounts for ailerons and flaps may get torn off with vibration and flight forces. I use screws to secure them to the ply hatch.

Thanks, I do need those tips. This is my first build. Appreciate all the info.

I'll do that and also thinking of screwing and strip of popsicle stick on the backside to tie both of thos blocks over the servo.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Blue Loctite is your friend on metal on metal screws! Instead of gaskets on the mufflers, use Ultra Copper RTV.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:13 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera mike View Post
Thanks! I'll measure the cowling.
Had a lot of research done today on servos plus help from some vets here.
I really like Futabas but looks like I'm going with the Savox digitals + Titanium Gears. They have tremendous torques too.
Savox servos are awesome, I run them too. They do use a lot more juice than the average HV servo. I run a 2100mah 2s lipo on them with good success.
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log