HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
The only time I don't "like" my 57" (And I still like it, just not as much as my 59") is in the wind....it gets blown around on landings more than the 59" does....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The only time I don't "like" my 57" (And I still like it, just not as much as my 59") is in the wind....it gets blown around on landings more than the 59" does....

SteveT
It can definitely get blown around if you've got the SFG's on (which I do) and are attempting a traditional landing. But when it's windy I just point it into the wind and do a harrier landing. Well... I should correct that. I ALWAYS do a harrier landing so wind doesn't bother me so much on landings and in some ways it actually helps!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
I'm still working on harrier flight and harrier landings, but I never use SFGs, I just don't like the looks of them, and as I transport my planes with the wings off, and stored in the wing bags, I would have to put them on and take them off every time I went to fly...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
I'm still working on harrier flight and harrier landings, but I never use SFGs, I just don't like the looks of them, and as I transport my planes with the wings off, and stored in the wing bags, I would have to put them on and take them off every time I went to fly...

SteveT
I do hate that part of using the SFG's... but I LOVE flying with them so I deal with it. I just don't use the wing bags and carefully transport my wings back and forth with the SFG's always in place.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
When my son and I go to the field, we usually take about six planes. Transporting the wings without the bags is not an option as they would get beat up very quickly....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
SFG are no longer a problem ever since I got a hold of these

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=158
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
actually I might have spoken too soon, I use these on both of my EF planes but don't have any 3dhs planes with SFG yet, how are the sfg attached on the 57" extra, metric bolt of wood screw?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Thanks guys for all the comparisons. I wanted the 59" to have a good wind plane and the precision factor. I'm considering the 51" just because I like the Slicks so dang much and everyone seems to really like the way the 51" and the 71" flys. I have both the 48" and the 68" Velox if I need the wild side, but to me the 68" is pretty precise as well as floaty on e-power. Then there is the 48" Super Viper, just not crazy about the looks of it. 3dhs gives us so many choices......isn't it great! It's going to be the SV for precision, or the 51"Slick so I can see what all the Slickness hype is about, maybe I should just buy both.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Thanks guys for all the comparisons. I wanted the 59" to have a good wind plane and the precision factor. I'm considering the 51" just because I like the Slicks so dang much and everyone seems to really like the way the 51" and the 71" flys. I have both the 48" and the 68" Velox if I need the wild side, but to me the 68" is pretty precise as well as floaty on e-power. Then there is the 48" Super Viper, just not crazy about the looks of it. 3dhs gives us so many choices......isn't it great! It's going to be the SV for precision, or the 51"Slick so I can see what all the Slickness hype is about, maybe I should just buy both.
Yes, you should!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
actually I might have spoken too soon, I use these on both of my EF planes but don't have any 3dhs planes with SFG yet, how are the sfg attached on the 57" extra, metric bolt of wood screw?
Simple wood screw...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
When my son and I go to the field, we usually take about six planes. Transporting the wings without the bags is not an option as they would get beat up very quickly....

SteveT
Makes sense. This is the only plane that I don't use the wing bags for so it's pretty easy for me. I usually only take 3 planes with me but all the others have wing bags (or will fit without the wings coming off).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,504 Posts
48" Super Vyper for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
If precision is your concern, the 48" Super Viper is your bird. From what I've seen the 48" SV and 65" Vyper handle wind well.
All my Slicks also handle turbulence well. If you want stability along with the wild side of 3D, the 51" Slick is for you.

I try to choose my planes with future upgrades in mind. The 48" SV uses three
HS 65MG servos and one HS 85MG servo on a 4S battery. The 51" Slick uses four HS 85 MG servos.

I have lots of HS 65MG and HB servos that I can use for the 48" SV and future 40" airframe projects. This was one factor in going with the 48" SV instead of the 65" Vyper for now. Another factor is the field only one mile from my house where I have flown everything from micro foamies up to my 59" Slick.

From the information available to me, the 65" Vyper will likely give me the precision and 3D performance I seek. So, if you are looking for precision and 3D performance in a mid size electric, take a look at the 65" Vyper. The 65" Vyper is also on sale as a part of the F3A Promotion.

Finally, look at some of the 65" Vyper videos. The performance of the Vyper will likely overcome your objection to the way it looks. I'm eager to see what my yellow 48" SV can do!

"Excellence is the minimum. Perfection is the standard."
Trill is online now Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 19, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
I like the 59 a little more than the 57. The 57 rotates a little better but the slick just seems smoother all around and hover soooooooo much better. Like stated above it handles wind better too. Both a great harrier machines and an edge goes to the 57 for ke flight.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I like the 59 a little more than the 57. The 57 rotates a little better but the slick just seems smoother all around and hover soooooooo much better. Like stated above it handles wind better too. Both a great harrier machines and an edge goes to the 57 for ke flight.
Dammit Losi! I was happy with my 57 before you said this!

I'll probably still skip the 59 for now and just stick with my 42, 51, and 70 Slicks.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
You get that 70 setup yet? Just put hitec 7954 servos in mine and on 8 volts wow they are fast and strong.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic