HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about, apparently, your ESC "popping", HoosierGuy. Were you running the lights through the ESC? I've been abusing the heck out of my "Blue Series" 40amp ESC. I've been using it in my new 3D ship and, while I don't use full throttle a whole lot, I'm consistently pulling 30-32 amps with the motor and 4 digital 12 gram, metal gear, servos and not even getting warm.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I'm sorry to hear about, apparently, your ESC "popping", HoosierGuy. Were you running the lights through the ESC? I've been abusing the heck out of my "Blue Series" 40amp ESC. I've been using it in my new 3D ship and, while I don't use full throttle a whole lot, I'm consistently pulling 30-32 amps with the motor and 4 digital 12 gram, metal gear, servos and not even getting warm.

No, my lights were powered by another small 3 cell 800mah lipo. It was not connected to the ESC.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
You know those two air vents on the sides of the nose/fuselage? Well I had those covered with fiberglass. It was flying so well I didn't want to mess anything up so I didn't cut away the fiberglass covering the air cooling vents. Could that have helped fry my ESC? My Phoenix was flying so well with those vents covered I just did not want to change anything that might mess up its nice flying ability.

When I touched the ESC it was hot. I wouldn't say scolding hot but it was definitely hot.

So I have a 60amp ESC coming from Hobbyking. My last order got to me in two weeks flat. Hope to get this before Halloween and get my flying cross/UFO up in the night sky again soon.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Cooling is very important, HoosierGuy. I've added extra cooling scoops and/or vents plus exit holes in all of my electric planes. The small areas affected will not make much if any difference in handling. Here's what I would do.

Cut out the original cooling holes. Then find a low stress area on the bottom of the fuse and drill enough holes to equal twice the area of the intakes. 1-3 5mm holes should be about right. Then cut a couple pie wedges of cardboard just big enough to make a smooth scoop for your intakes. Use a little CA to tack them onto the intake holes and, once they are where you want them, soak the rest of the cardboard with CA. You could also use most any plastic. I used half of a plastic spoon to make one big intake scoop on my ASW 28 and used parts of the handle to make the small intake scoops on my Specter. Plastic bottles work too.

BTW. On my ASW the battery sits on top of the ESC. So? I glued two short pieces of thin, about 2mm, plastic tube on the ESC to allow a little air to pass between them. They come down cool to the touch when it's cold out and barely warmer than the air temp when it's hot.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
I'm still wondering why my ESC burned up. I figured my 40amp ESC would handle the motor and prop. I did have extra long wires connected to my ESC because I was originally going to use this ESC on my Raptor for future FPV use.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I'm still wondering why my ESC burned up. I figured my 40amp ESC would handle the motor and prop. I did have extra long wires connected to my ESC because I was originally going to use this ESC on my Raptor for future FPV use.
Could be overtheating due to both regulator and the integrated BEC ... could be some defect on the ESC..

The CloudsFly stoc ESCs were notoriously prone to fail and most of them were due to lack of quality control and soldering issues and/or the BEC rather than overheating due to the amp load
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Could be overtheating due to both regulator and the integrated BEC ... could be some defect on the ESC..

The CloudsFly stoc ESCs were notoriously prone to fail and most of them were due to lack of quality control and soldering issues and/or the BEC rather than overheating due to the amp load

I did have the ESC and BEC and second battery and LED wires all crammed into the same space. I have the BEC/center wire that runs from the ESC to the receiver pulled out and had it covered with electrical tape. So the only power going to the receiver was from the battery to the BEC to the receiver. I did have my BEC wires soldered to the ESC wires that run to the battery.

Oh well. Another ESC is coming from Hobbyking. This one is 60amp. This will give me a few weeks to put even more LEDS on my Phoenix Evolution!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:55 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,036 Posts
Hey guys,

a simple but complicate question for you: How do you mount GoPro on Phoenix2000?
Only place that I think it could be done is on the wings, but I disassemble it every time I'm going to flight so I can transport it, and don't have idea how to mount there the camera.

Thanks for your answers
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
491 Posts
I can think of a million ways to mount the GoPro onto the plane but it all depends on what view you want. If you want an unobstructed view, somewhere on the wing would be best, otherwise you'll probably have to fabricate a way to strap it onto the canopy or the small fuse space behind the canopy. Might have to screw the GoPro's little base into the plastic fuse.

Another thing to consider is drag and if you mount it on the wing, you have to remember it will act as a spoiler on that wing, so flight characteristics might not be ideal. In my opinion, mounting it somewhere on the fuse on top or bottom might be the way to go.

I did an FPV setup on the P2K where I mounted the FPV camera in the canopy without the hatch. It worked out well and flight characteristics were mostly un-affected.
See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1567

Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
Hey guys,

a simple but complicate question for you: How do you mount GoPro on Phoenix2000?
Only place that I think it could be done is on the wings, but I disassemble it every time I'm going to flight so I can transport it, and don't have idea how to mount there the camera.

Thanks for your answers
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Last edited by eosglider; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,066 Posts
Are you guys using a different method to attatch the main wing? It just seems like those screws are incredibly weak and strip insanely easy. Just curious!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:14 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,036 Posts
I'm aware of flight characteristics so that's why I'm asking, because many of you already mounted it and have spotted the best location.
What I have not mentioned is that I want to mount it in the housing, I'm to aware of a potential drop of gopro to mount it without housing.
The view.. of course if there would be an unobstructed view it will be the best, but for that I think the only place to mount it is under the fuse looking slightly down, however I'm still not the best on "catch landing".

On the wing I also don't think is a good place (only if I don't plan to mount on both wings to maintain the cg )

I do like how you mounted FPV cam.. will take that into account too, cause I know.. FPV for my P2K is not far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
I can think of a million ways to mount the GoPro onto the plane but it all depends on what view you want. If you want an unobstructed view, somewhere on the wing would be best, otherwise you'll probably have to fabricate a way to strap it onto the canopy or the small fuse space behind the canopy. Might have to screw the GoPro's little base into the plastic fuse.

Another thing to consider is drag and if you mount it on the wing, you have to remember it will act as a spoiler on that wing, so flight characteristics might not be ideal. In my opinion, mounting it somewhere on the fuse on top or bottom might be the way to go.

I did an FPV setup on the P2K where I mounted the FPV camera in the canopy without the hatch. It worked out well and flight characteristics were mostly un-affected.
See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1567

Hope it helps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:18 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Are you guys using a different method to attatch the main wing? It just seems like those screws are incredibly weak and strip insanely easy. Just curious!
hm.. weak?! what do you use to screw them?

I don't have any problems with screws at all. The are just strong enough. I don't tighten them too much. So my P2K is still stock. (except clevis and electronics of course.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
hm.. weak?! what do you use to screw them?

I don't have any problems with screws at all. The are just strong enough. I don't tighten them too much. So my P2K is still stock. (except clevis and electronics of course.)
I was using some cheapo screwdriver that I had laying around. Figured out real quick not to use it and didnt have a problem when I switched to something better. I did however get a chance to maiden my bird today.... Flew fantastic but had a moment of idiocy and turned it into a lawn dart The wind was about 15mph and I let it take the plane and it started to roll back and just snapped into a stall and my brain just would not work lol. I didnt do anything to save it but make sure I wasnt going to hit anyone. I honestly dont know what happened my brain litterally just stopped. It was pretty darn embarrassing but the plane will live to see another day. Im insanely impressed with the quality of the fuse. The battery tray is no more and the elevator is a bit smashed but its all fixable. //end novel.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
My brain stops too, Cloudflying. Of course, I had taken some time off from the hobby and it took a good long while to wear most of the rust off. Luckily I had started with a small foam Extra and took care of my vertical dives into the ground with it. I would get myself disoriented and all my brain could do was chop the throttle. Then I got the foam ASW 28 and managed to hit two trees and a light pole with it. Needless to say I'm sold on the durability of foam! I still figure that I'll be ready for something a little higher value come spring if I get any winter flying in at all.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:04 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,036 Posts
This plane is pretty strong, so it is not so easy destructible. The fuse made from plastic is stronger than everything else I tried. Had many "incidents" with it but never turned it in a crash that would cause any damage.
I love so much how the wings are fixed on this plane so much, that I did the same for the Bixler too. And the wings are pretty stiff.
So, fix it and go flying, 'cause it is a dream to fly this glider.
RCG Plus Member