New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by notime_3001
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Question
P-51 Landing Gear Dimensional Location

On this Bud Nosen P-51 Mustang which dates back to 1977 that I've started to build the plans were drawn to use only fixed landing gear. Comparing scale drawings of a P-51 Mustang to that of the Nosen drawings. It appears the Nosen drawings have the main landing gear to far out from the C/L of the fuselage. Maybe the landing gear was positioned further out from the C/L of the fuselage to provide a wider wheelbase. I don't know but it looks wrong. Also it appears the inner part of the wing leading edge angle and length don't correspond to that of actual scale drawings. Does anybody know what the full scale dimensional properties of the wing leading edge angles and lengths are as well as the location of where the main landing gear strut is position as say referenced to the C/L of the fuselage? Also what are the dimensional positions of the machine gun openings? The Nosen drawings don't even show the machine guns.
notime_3001 is offline Find More Posts by notime_3001
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2014, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,598 Posts
Try to Google P-51 Blueprints and select images.

I did that and got this

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...ml%3B550%3B400
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 09, 2014, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by LesUyeda
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,034 Posts
That should be almost enough:-))))))))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Nov 10, 2014, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,598 Posts
Yep

Do what I do and go buy a plastic model 1/72 kit and you can get all the specs you need.
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by notime_3001
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Using small scale drawings or models induces to many errors in the measurements. Now if drawings had actual dimensions and angles shown then that would be different. But I've yet to find drawings like that. Not even the Bud Nosen drawings have dimensions and angles and those drawings are very large at 1" = 2.75".
notime_3001 is offline Find More Posts by notime_3001
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:39 AM
Find More Posts by mligosh
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
377 Posts
notime,

The wing section from fuselage to where the break occurs (angle change) is about 34" It is difficult to get a firm dimension as there is a large radius fairing at the fuselage to wing. The angle as close as I can measure is 7*. The dimension from wing/fuselage center line to landing gear strut is 70.25". The gun bay is just outboard of the gear. The C model below doesn't have the gun ports and our other D model wing is out in another shop right now so I don't have it to measure, but you should be able to see from a top view drawing.

I work on the full scale, so any other questions/measurements/pictures, let me know.

Mike
mligosh is offline Find More Posts by mligosh
Last edited by mligosh; Nov 12, 2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: add photo