HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:12 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
Yippee!
Amsterdam Tug

Hello
we are in the middle of building the Amsterdam Tug RC. We love the boat and have found a few tricky spots but we are enjoying it very much. We started off by trying to make an exact replica. The kit was a gift from a friend that was missing one crucial parts board, which included the deck to the front of the boat. Needless to say, we have had to build one ourselves. For the most part, it's a GREAt boat. This is the first we've done like this. We own a Super Hawaii, and a 45" Aeromarine Offshore CAT, but never anything as hands on as the Tug. We would gladly take any input and would appreciate the feedback. We'll have pictures available soon
~Thanks~
BigHairRC is offline Find More Posts by BigHairRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:59 PM
Mostly harmless
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
382 Posts
Hi Guys,

Welcome to the forum. Dont forget to complete your profile so we know where you are. (This is so forum members can direct you to help in your local area).

Looking forward to the pics. What scale is the tug? What will you use to power it?

Cheers
Capt_Christo is offline Find More Posts by Capt_Christo
Old Nov 17, 2005, 08:08 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
Thanks

Thanks. We'll update the profile in a few. The Tug is 1:50 scale and we're running a Monster Pro 27 turn with a Futaba ESC, with a water cooled motor. Keep in mind that this boat will be used to retrieve my Off Shore CAT and other speed boats. We have a 3 bladed metal Prop, Octura, not sure of the pitch. As soon as she's ready and weather permitting (we're in Maine) we'll send photos of the retrieving.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:26 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Amsterdam Tug should have come with a 3 blade prop, rather large, plastic. The motor that you have selected is better off in go-fast boats. Tugs like big slow motors that are run thru a reduction to spin the large props. Using that motor in that big of a tug will most likely fry it. I have one of those tugs here needing to be finished.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:35 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. Had a 550 20 turn single motor in there but we added 4.8 pounds and that motor didn't seem to do it. We added a metal prop, noctura 3 blade, slightly smaller than the plastic one. The plastic one was split and didn't seem to work right. Why do you think that the motor we have now will fry? New to electric rc, used to doing nitro, so any info would help. Do you know a particular prop and motor combo that would be suitable for using this tug to retrieve my gas boats when they stall (or just to run for fun) ?
Old Nov 19, 2005, 06:03 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
392 Posts
Where are you in Maine? 'Tis a big state. I agree with green-boat, your motor prop set-up sounds like an offshore set-up, not one for a tug. Prop should be large diameter, with pitch approximately equal to diameter(in other words a "square prop), with a relatively slow turning shaft. Do this by gearing down the motor. Give us some more info on your boat, length, approx finished weight, and then we can give you a better idea of your set-up. A 550 motor is a good starting point, by the way.
Jonathan
Hulls Cove, ME.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Nov 19, 2005, 06:35 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Another way to get extra torque over speed is to use motors nominally rated at a higher voltage. Another way is to go for the 550 type motors with 5 poles.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:03 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
The boat length is 42" long and as for the weight? We added 4.8 pounds in the very bottom of the hull, center line, and we're not quite sure of the exact kit weight but we were planning on weighing it when we're done. We'll keep you posted. We'll be adding a few pictures tomorrow to show you the progress. 550 motor? We had one of those in the tug. The one we had was quite beat on (it was from our Super Hawaii) and it didn't seem to be working right so we added the one we have now. We will have to get a new one. We're taking it out in the morning for a test run so we'll let you know how that goes.
By the way, we live in Lewiston (unfortunately). Not too sure where Hulls cove is.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:05 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
392 Posts
BigHair,
The cove is outside Bar Harbor. Don't 'spose you'll be retrieving any time soon, the dog's dish is freezing every nite. Keep us posted and send pics
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Nov 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
Well we're not doing any retrieving anytime soon, you're right about that. But we are giving her a test run today. The weather is cooperating and it's actually a nice morning. We'll be posting pics when we get back today. (keep in mind, this is our first tug, we've onlt done fiberglass, gas motors and such) and the boat is not completely done. We've alot of details to do but she's coming along great.

:-)
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
186 Posts
Amsterdam Ballast

If it's the same Amsterdam I built, be smarter than me and use REMOVABLE ballast. This genius used lead shot and epoxy, and it takes 3 men and a boy to get her in and out of the water. Boat is between 45 and 50 pounds with enough ballast to match the waterline of the real boat.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:31 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
45 to 50 pounds??? Holy Crap!!!! Is it supposed to be that heavy? Anybody else know how heavy it's supposed to be? What scale is your Tug by the way. Just wanna make sure we have the right weight.
Pics are on hold for a few days. Having problems with software, but borrowing a friend's cam tomorrow. We took our tug out yesterday morning for a test run. The speed was great but we are definately going to need more power. Shot some video and it's looking great. We changed the motor yesterday when we got back and took your advice and put a 550 in her. we'll take her out again this coming weekend and let you know how it went. Anybody know about the MEPS3 motorizing system, 12v high torque motor, 85 turns, made for tugs? We saw an ad for it and was wondering if anybody had any input on it.
~Peace~
Old Nov 22, 2005, 06:28 PM
Maine
Joined Nov 2005
45 Posts
Hey there
Just wanted to add a few pics of the tug in progress. Keep in mind that it is the first of this kind of RC for us and it still needs a lot of work (detail).
we'll have a few more pics to show of the other boats we'll be towing with our Tug. If anybody has any input or advice we'd be glad to hear it.
We just acquired a Dumas 51" USS Crockett RC Model we'll be doing this winter. we'll keep you posted on that also.

Enjoy
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:57 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,493 Posts
A good inexpensive solution to the motor may be a motor out of a 12 volt cordless drill, they usually have a decent size motor in them. Dewalt uses good motors and you can get replacement brushes for them if needed. Another place to try is http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com they have 2 motors that would be good candidates, the #3 and the #15.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Dec 01, 2005, 02:56 PM
Micronaut
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
120 Posts
I have to agree with Cold Duck on the weight. I used BBs in mine, but have not epoxied them in place because of the weight. I'm running a 540 direct drive in my Amsterdam (pretty stock set-up). Due to the hull shape, she really pushes a lot of water in front of her, limiting the speed.

I'm new to the boards, but as soon as I can figure out how its done, I'll try to post the pic I found of the Amsterdam. Before she ran aground, she had a nice black/white/blue paint scheme, although the after deck was a putrid dog-doo brown...
Micronaut is offline Find More Posts by Micronaut