HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
I have an old SNS 48 inch wing lying around. If I were to use the aluminum fuse, how long should I make it since its a 48 inch wing.? Going with a .40LA power plant with an 11x5 prop.
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:01 AM
Sho Nuff Combat Pilot
United States, TX, Greenville
Joined Mar 2008
74 Posts
I think a 24" would do fine. The beauty of the alum fuse, is that you can slide it fore or aft to achieve proper CG.
Just move servos and equipment around and you should be fine.

Plz post pics after you finish
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
Well I got mine together and got it up in the air. But the engine cut out for some reason, but I got to thinking.

How the heck am I suppose to land this thing? When the engine cut it fell like a rock.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Is your COG correct? How did it "fall"? With flat wings you are basically flying on the prop so giving yourself some speed and altitude is critical on approached. With my SNS I usually cut the throttle on final, dive to build speed, then float about 5 feet above the ground while starting to slowly pull back to burn off speed. Usually I have a nice gently landing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
OEF 10-11
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
It's alittle heavy on the nose but again I was climbing and didn't have much speed.

Basically what happened, I launched it and was in a gentle climb and not much speed and them the engine just shut of and it fell out of the sky. Since you said that I think since I didn't have any speed once the engine cut is the reason it do what it did.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
The engine might be running a bit lean. Try starting it and while running have someone hold the plane straight up and go full throttle. If it starts to stall its running lean.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
OEF 10-11
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
That's what I figured, I told my wife if it was running rich it would bog down and stuff. But I'm getting a new prop here in a bit. I'm goin to balance it and go.

Now my car has 3 needles. One is for the opening(back side of the carb and when adjusted it determinds how far the card will open and close)

one is for the mixture setting(as normal).

Now there is one in front of the card. What the heck does that do? I'm running an OS max FP .20
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
On the 20FP I believe there are three screws. The large on stick out the side of the carb is your main needle. The one sticking out the top of your carb is the throttle stop screw for setting the travel of the barrel (only used for making adjustments with the servos). Finally the small one sticking out the other side is your air bleed screw. A good standard adjustment of this would be to have the tip of the screw blocking about half of that hole.

An easy way to adjust is to take a sewing needle stick it in the hole then turn the screw in until it hits the tip of the needle. For your main needle I would start with it turned three turns out. Get the engine started then slowing turn the needle back in. You should hear the motor pitch up as its leaned, keep doing this until you hear the rpm's stop increasing, then richen it a half turn. That should get you in the ballpark. A good tool to have is an rpm gauge so you can find peak RPM, then richen the mixture to 300-400 rpm's off peak. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
OEF 10-11
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
It does. Today hasn't went great either. Broke 2 props and a motor mount. I adjusted it out 2-1/2 turns. I held it straight up and she sounded good no cut out or anything.

Got home fixed a couple other minor things and went back out. Started it up everything seemed fine.

So I have it 1/2-3/4 throttle. Threw it she flew straight as an arrow, then before I could do anything else the engine cut out again and that's when I seem I broke another prop and now the motor mount.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,147 Posts
I usually hand launch at full throttle until I get to a safe height, and throttle back fairly soon. Cutting out sucks. Another person helping for the first couple of launces always is a good idea, especially if they are a good flyer and set the trims etc. for you. If it hit the ground kind of hard, sometimes the clunk in the tank gets pushed forward and it will cut out like that.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
It sounds like you are getting air in the line. Check to make sure the clunk line isn't cut from the crash. Also, run it on a bench and see if the fuel is foaming due to vibrations. If so, add some foam padding between the tank and its contact point. Try starting it and have someone move the plane up and down to see if you can replicate the problem.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
OEF 10-11
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
See that's the thing I have benched it and no problems, I have it wrapped in foam at the moment to avoid the foaming issue. The clunker and line are in good shape.