Old Apr 20, 2015, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by erospawn
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Aug 2010
70 Posts
Discussion
Habu2 Recommended EDF -- Originally posted in Power Systems

Hey All,

My goal is to get the great whoosh sound that you get with higher blade counts on these edf units. What I am looking for is a fan unit with 10-14 blades that will work with the Eflite stock motor that will work with the Habu 2. THis is what I've found that I think will work. But, if any of you know or have actual experience, that would be awesome as well.

Does anyone know if this will need to be balanced etc?
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=319
erospawn is offline Find More Posts by erospawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2015, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,841 Posts
You might check out theses threads:

Habu 2 Owners thread.All mods/tips,upgrades info,Vid links- post 1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=habu+2

Parkzone Habu!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=habu+2
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn View Post
Hey All,

My goal is to get the great whoosh sound that you get with higher blade counts on these edf units. What I am looking for is a fan unit with 10-14 blades that will work with the Eflite stock motor that will work with the Habu 2. THis is what I've found that I think will work. But, if any of you know or have actual experience, that would be awesome as well.

Does anyone know if this will need to be balanced etc?
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=319
I changed out the rotor on my modified 6s setup, and ran it on 5s with the Wemo minifan EVO. (9 blades)
You would need the one that takes a 4mm shaft.
These fans come with a balanced rotor, but final dynamic balance after EDF/motor assy is preffered. If you have experience you can do it. Or I can do it for you.
Sounds great and only requires a 7% lower kv motor if you want to keep the amps the same. Most folks run them with the same motor. The stock Habu motor is 3200kv. It will be fine with the EVO EDF unit. on 4s. Not sure what ESC comes with the Habu 2, If it's 60A you should be fine.
For more power on 4s, many folks run the HET 2W-20 (3400kv) with the EVO fan and a 75A ESC.

There's a couple of my Habus in the upgrades thread that cooler posted.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by erospawn
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Aug 2010
70 Posts
Thanks Eflux RC. Ideally I would like to continue using a 4s as I have several 3300 50C's , but I do have some 6s 3500's 35C as well. So it sounds like you have what I am looking for and I will definitely need you to dynamically balance the unit seeing as how I do not have the equipment to do that.

How much flight time would I end up getting if I stuck with the 4s? I'm trying to achieve the same power, flight time roughly, while getting the nice whoosh sound as well.
erospawn is offline Find More Posts by erospawn
Last edited by erospawn; Apr 20, 2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn View Post
Thanks Eflux RC. Ideally I would like to continue using a 4s as I have several 3300 50C's , but I do have some 6s 3500's 35C as well. So it sounds like you have what I am looking for and I will definitely need you to dynamically balance the unit seeing as how I do not have the equipment to do that.

How much flight time would I end up getting if I stuck with the 4s? I'm trying to achieve the same power, flight time roughly, while getting the nice whoosh sound as well.
Your current lipos would get just a little less time than you are currently seeing with your flying style (whatever it may be.) The standard battery for the Habu 2 is 3200 mAh, I believe. the stock Eflite rotor is actually more heavily loaded than say the standard, Wemo mini fan (6 blades). So you won't be to far off.

6s takes lots of mods to make it work. A good middle of the road 4s/5s setup (with the 3300kv, HET 1W-40 motor) is easier to do. and keeps the jet lighter. There's lots of tips regarding how to mod the Habu in the "Habu 2 owners" thread.

Just for kicks, Here's my 6s Habu with the Standard minifan rotor on 6s. Nothing official as far as averaged upwind down wind speed passes. Just messing around with the radar gun. Radar runs start around 5 mins into the video. I was manning the Radar gun , not the camera.
Habu 2 RADAR runs...best pass: 142mph (10 min 52 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Apr 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
370 Posts
The wemo evo fan seems a good bet for the stock motor on 4s.
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer