New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2015, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by glmccready
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,881 Posts
Pretty cool Eric! I need to make me one of these.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2015, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Pretty cool Eric! I need to make me one of these.

The Speeder and rider are only $25 or less at Target. No StarWars gouging there.....Amen

E.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
Old Jun 07, 2015, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by pfenig
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Started over with a new model in the Tx, a new Rx and a new Vario. Yes, the vario tones do appear when I assign a switch to ALTIME. Don't know why the old one won't work. I'll have to keep messing with it. I've probably changed some setting that is interfering with it. At least it is reassuring that the tones are in the radio and the vario does what I hoped when I bought the transmitter.
pfenig is offline Find More Posts by pfenig
Old Jun 09, 2015, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
....strip the outside insulation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I did them before with a nice set of wire strippers that I have. Small pliers type that go from 20 - 32 ga. One of the sizes fit just right to get the shield without hitting the center conductor's insulation.
Hit the outer insulation with the 22ga slot and slide it off, then the shielding comes off with the 24ga slot.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 09, 2015, 08:48 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,299 Posts
Quote:
....31.25mm....
Doesn't that seem a tad long? My Graupner manual says 30mm, same as I measured one of the stock ones.

Manual says 2.4 - 2.4835 GHZ.

31.25mm comes out to 2.283 GHZ

http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/antencal.html
Old Jun 09, 2015, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by TheBum
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Doesn't that seem a tad long? My Graupner manual says 30mm, same as I measured one of the stock ones.

Manual says 2.4 - 2.4835 GHZ.

31.25mm comes out to 2.283 GHZ

http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/antencal.html
I used the following calculation:

λ = c / f
c = 3 x 10^8 m/s (c in atmosphere is negligibly slower than c in a vacuum)
f = 2.4 x 10^9 Hz

which makes

λ = 0.125m

and

1/4 x λ = 0.03125m = 31.25mm

If you use the internationally accepted exact speed of light (299,792,458 m/s), the quarter wavelength value changes very little (31.23 mm).
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Last edited by TheBum; Jun 09, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2015, 10:40 AM
Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
United States, OR, Cornelius
Joined Mar 2011
285 Posts
Is that rocket science
FlyawayClyde is offline Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
Old Jun 09, 2015, 12:10 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,299 Posts
Mmmmm, I guess I wil stick with stock length and every antenna I make from VHF through microwave has worked well.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by born2fly77
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
MZ 18 battery

I was wondering if I can use a 2S LiFe pack to power my transmitter?

I used one while I was setting up a new model. The pack voltage displayed on the home screen was 6.6 volts. Will this pack damage the circuitry? The transmitter appeared to operate normally.

The supplied Graupner 4.8 volt pack is inadequate. It depletes far too quickly during programming where it is necessary to have the RF on.

Also, for NiMh and LiFe packs, what voltage should the alarm be set at to warn for low TX voltage?

Thanks in advance!
born2fly77 is offline Find More Posts by born2fly77
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:49 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,898 Posts
Revisiting the helicopter flight controller topic, is there any way that the GR-18 or GR-24 Pro could support a proactive governor? One of the outputs would have to be used as an RPM sensor input and I don't know if the hardware is designed to accommodate that.

There are a couple of other features that might be possible with the existing hardware, assuming there's enough flash memory for the firmware.
  • Rescue mode. I'm not talking just self-leveling; I'm also talking about making the helicopter climb after rotating upright in case the mode was engaged at very low altitude.
  • Hard deck. Since the receivers have Vario sensors in them, it might be possible to set a minimum altitude so that if a maneuver goes horribly wrong, the helicopter will right itself when it reaches the minimum altitude. The concern there would be whether the air pressure changes during a maneuver might prematurely activate the hard deck.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:52 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly77 View Post
I was wondering if I can use a 2S LiFe pack to power my transmitter?

I used one while I was setting up a new model. The pack voltage displayed on the home screen was 6.6 volts. Will this pack damage the circuitry? The transmitter appeared to operate normally.

The supplied Graupner 4.8 volt pack is inadequate. It depletes far too quickly during programming where it is necessary to have the RF on.

Also, for NiMh and LiFe packs, what voltage should the alarm be set at to warn for low TX voltage?

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't advise it. The transmitter is designed to use a 1S lipo, which maxes out at 4.2V.

I know the MZ-24 can use the Graupner 1S 6000mAh pack but I don't know if it would physically fit in the MZ-18; it barely fits in the MZ-24. You'd get about 50% more run time with that.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
United States, OR, Cornelius
Joined Mar 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Revisiting the helicopter flight controller topic, is there any way that the GR-18 or GR-24 Pro could support a proactive governor? One of the outputs would have to be used as an RPM sensor input[/list]
WOW Alan,
I am so glad that you brought this idea to the table, I have wondered this ever since I was told I could not use one for my Synergy N5C. I so wanted to fly that model with this system. But now I wont ever get to do that since I had to sell it 2 weeks ago. And the reason I sold it was because I couldn't integrate ,my GR-18 on it the way I would have liked, so it went on my E5 instead. I have never been a huge fan of electric heli's anyway. But so I installed it. Not really happy with the heli, the FBL system seems to work as good as the CGY750 I had on it, but it's not nitro......
FlyawayClyde is offline Find More Posts by FlyawayClyde
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:23 AM
PxC
Find More Posts by PxC
PxC
Taipei Shek, Taiwan
Joined Apr 2002
27 Posts
Fail to Bind (Sorry for that , please disregard this post , no problem now )
I fail to re-Bind my MZ-24 to both GR-12L+3xG as well GR-24L now --
With Receiver LED flash , I push the BIND ON/OFF from OFF to CHK ( under RX1 ) , it always come to OFF without success on Bind ..

I reselect some other MODEL , still same situation ..

Could Anyone help ?

One thing I notice RX1 are in while color character , not same as RX2 ( in my BASE/TX ctl screen ) now .

GR-12L+3xG LED RED always ON once power on , No matter SET push or not .
GR-24L LED RED flash after SET & power on
However , Both of them could not be bind with my MZ-24

I guess I was confused by the BIND procedure after firmware update , NOW I have no problem about the BIND ...
PxC is offline Find More Posts by PxC
Last edited by PxC; Jun 28, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
460 Posts
Make sure your transmitter isn't to close to the reciever. I find it binds better if I just hold the button down on the rx and then bind the tax.
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr