SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2015, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by wowser
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Mar 2015
26 Posts
Just wanted to say Lee has provided great customer service in trouble shooting my build. After months i was finally able to get it up in the air thanks to his help!

If you're thinking about buying one of his kits do it!
wowser is offline Find More Posts by wowser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by Warmshed
Essex UK
Joined Nov 2003
120 Posts
I know its sounds pedantic but when you stick the pod into the fuselage, instructions say angle it to the front left of the fuselage, is that a line through the center of the pod or do you put a ruler along the left side of the pod and angle it so the ruler is in line with that corner? Sounds daft but makes fair bit of difference to the angle.

Thanks. Dave.
Warmshed is offline Find More Posts by Warmshed
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:23 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshed View Post
I know its sounds pedantic but when you stick the pod into the fuselage, instructions say angle it to the front left of the fuselage, is that a line through the center of the pod or do you put a ruler along the left side of the pod and angle it so the ruler is in line with that corner? Sounds daft but makes fair bit of difference to the angle. Tanks. Dave.
Dead center on the pod to the left front corner of the fuselage with the motor parallel to the fuselage. This is to counter act the prop torque that is created with the elevated motor and turning of the propeller. The goal is to have the plane fly the same under power and while gliding without a change of trim.

When the motor is on the nose it is pointed down and to the right because the motor is below the center of rotation of the plane.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 27, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:37 PM
Essex UK
Joined Nov 2003
120 Posts
Thanks Lee.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by STEVE150
south fl
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Hi did a maiden flight today with poly wing pod mount albatross.
It keeps dropping the right wing and turning right. I didn't see
Any mention in instructions to angle pod to the left mine is
Pretty square with fuse do I need to shim motor mount to left?
STEVE150 is online now Find More Posts by STEVE150
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:34 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE150 View Post
Hi did a maiden flight today with poly wing pod mount albatross.
It keeps dropping the right wing and turning right. I didn't see
Any mention in instructions to angle pod to the left mine is
Pretty square with fuse do I need to shim motor mount to left?
Either file the pod to get an angle to the left or shim the motor.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:39 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,793 Posts
This is a lot of tape but a great price without shipping charge. These are 50 meter rolls!!! This is about 1/3 the usual price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291478312167...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old Jun 28, 2015, 05:40 PM
Essex UK
Joined Nov 2003
120 Posts
Lee, isn't that 8950 tape just single glass reinforced rather than the bi-directional 8959? I think that ebay item has the wrong picture?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by 7x57
Blissfully Unaware
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2013
105 Posts
I didn't think of angling the pod (which is what I'd do next time) and shimmed my motor. I'm not sure if it's quite angled enough or not (I can't check until the new one goes on), but the throttle didn't change the trim much. IIRC the shim is a piece of flat toothpick between the mount and pod, you might see how that works for you.
7x57 is offline Find More Posts by 7x57
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by 7x57
Blissfully Unaware
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2013
105 Posts
I think I want to reduce the number of rubber bands I use--we've been fairly nice to the plane, but we've had a couple of nasty wingtip strikes that skewed the wing far enough to make the rubber bands tear up the foam a bit. I used more bands to counteract that, but it started bowing the body. Six may be too many and eight is definitely bad, so I want to find a different solution.

I might try the protective goop trick, but is there any reason I should not put strips of leftover foam on the underside of the wing along the fuselage? Seems like that would let me drop to, say, four bands without making the wing too prone to moving around.

The nastier crashes were actually with another pilot at the controls, but it led to him buying an Albatross kit of his own so in the grand scheme of things maybe it was worth it.
7x57 is offline Find More Posts by 7x57
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:01 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmshed View Post
Lee, isn't that 8950 tape just single glass reinforced rather than the bi-directional 8959? I think that ebay item has the wrong picture?
You are correct looking at another source. Take note everyone. The picture is wrong!!!
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by doughpat
Indonesia, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Jakarta
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
I think I want to reduce the number of rubber bands I use--we've been fairly nice to the plane, but we've had a couple of nasty wingtip strikes that skewed the wing far enough to make the rubber bands tear up the foam a bit. I used more bands to counteract that, but it started bowing the body. Six may be too many and eight is definitely bad, so I want to find a different solution.

I might try the protective goop trick, but is there any reason I should not put strips of leftover foam on the underside of the wing along the fuselage? Seems like that would let me drop to, say, four bands without making the wing too prone to moving around.
I only use 4 bands--two straight, and then two crossed. Works great--i've never noticed any shifting/lifting of the wing. Not sure why you'd use 8? even 6 seems overkill.

One time I only had 2 bands and just did a cross--worked fine (but definitely not wise!).
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
I only use 4 bands--two straight, and then two crossed. Works great--i've never noticed any shifting/lifting of the wing. Not sure why you'd use 8? even 6 seems overkill.

One time I only had 2 bands and just did a cross--worked fine (but definitely not wise!).
I always say use one more than you need.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by doughpat
Indonesia, Special Capital Region of Jakarta, Jakarta
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I always say use one more than you need.
And replace them more often than you think you need! I find the durability of rubber bands can be shockingly poor.. Sometimes they just don't last. I'm sure that heat and UV don't help things either. Also, living in a country that is a huge producer of rubber, I can tell you that the quality of rubber can vary dramatically!

Certainly not a part that is fun to see fail....
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by baldy1953
Joined Dec 2011
70 Posts
To keep my wing from shifting, I put 2 small pieces of 200 grit sandpaper on the fuselage and matched them up with 2 pieces on the underside of the wing. It added enough friction that it keeps the wing from shifting unless I hit the ground pretty hard. I usually use 4 rubber bands.
baldy1953 is offline Find More Posts by baldy1953