HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:40 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
Help!
Lathe work needed. Please help

Hi , besides being a RC pilot, I collect old fly reels. Many have bad wooden knobs.Is there anyone out there that can make me some? They are a very simple design.I could send you one of each design (4) and you could copy them. I have many reels that need the new knobs. They could be made on one piece of wood and then cut off to the individual knobs. Pm me or email me at Bailareno@gmail.com . Thanks Rich
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:45 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
You can turn wood with a drill held on a vice if needs be..its really easy. Just need somewhere steady to hold a sharp chisel or gouge...still if someone has the lathe...good luck!
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:59 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
lathe work

I tried that and the results were marginal. On a lathe someone could make 5 or 6 at a time. I though maybe someone who is retired would like a job like this. Thanks Rich
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,920 Posts
Get in touch with your local high school shop classes.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:44 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
slopemeno

Thats a good Idea. I will try that. But I would like to find someone else so I can get more made without going back to the school.Thanks Rich
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:26 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,224 Posts
If you're doing enough of this why not look into buying a small wood lathe and a set of simple tools of your own? It's actually great fun and the small ones are quite inexpensive. Not to mention that you would not be dependent on some other person's time.

Beyond that look into woodturning clubs in your area. A good contact point is often the local wood tool. shop that caters to the turning crowd
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
617 Posts
I can help you with your lathe work. How many knobs do you need, also what kind of wood do you prefer?
Rad Racer is offline Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:06 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,008 Posts
Rad Racer

I'm going to check with our high school and see if they can help me out . If not I will be back in touch. Thanks Rich
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:52 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Dont forget about your community college, while I attended machine tool classes we actually got alot of 'government work' that actually counted towards points.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:47 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Hi Rich,

I'm a professional woodworker/woodturner. I'd love to help you out.

I will say that if your fishing equipment isn't something you value much, then by all means try a high school student.

On the other hand, if you want quality work done by a professional, do yourself a favor and contact one.

I can email you pictures of my work and provide references.

Will
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Last edited by ukktor; Mar 23, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:04 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
dragon2-I replied to your PM.

Thanks,
Will
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Mar 29, 2006, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2005
244 Posts
squack Sod all that ,.. What you need is to think, ' Fly-Fishing '. a well tempered mannar of disapline deeply required as so is the 'RC group' onlooker. You may have over looked what you need, is to attend your upper-most deepest feeling and attention to how you must not use common trickery to over welm your suspective riverfish, and use cunning invention from your self to master your ways of infloencing the the fishy to the 'fly' of your own Invention. (should you have bought it in a shop , forget reading this.) So it will come to your attention, ...

The reel 'Handel' is the gap between your total commnication to the last second of a dought with the fishy , your sole art and design too the last thought after hunger or greed of the fish ,(better fed than dead) . The fish will taste your self made art (the fly) and would not intend to be put off by note of your contact to the device you are handeling,..the Handel ..of the reel.
So be it , you need to make a perfect design of handel of your own design, not one from south Asia.
What it is I would propose , is that any machined Handel from the cold metal clutches of a 'Lathe' will hinder your modeling art . You need to make a all wooden organic lathe beneath your ideal fishing spot under a near by tree.
That I say becuase the way too do it is too ;........................................

Firstly , Choose a suitable springy thick heavy duty most powerful branch of the tree, the one that moves relucktently no more than your leg is able to rise and push down .(this is what you'll be doing to power the Lathe)

Secondly , Tie a good strong half inch thick Rope to it above the spot you intend to follow through with your Organic Lathe work .

Third thing , Make up a whole assembly to hold your chosen shaft/length of wood (wood for handel) to rotate freely horisonatly so that you may turn the rope over it so the branch may not pull the whole assembly up into the air ,and you may pull the rope down and in turn rotate the length of wood in the process .

Forth ideal of said idea , Make a foot pedel on the ground to attach the other end of the rope too . you will need this to push with your leg that will as roughly discribed in the above paragraph, pull the rope and branch down and rotate the shaft your working on ,while you make one cut ,and let the branch take the rope back up, while you take the presure off your foot, and so repeat the process. Each push down , make a cut on the rotating shaft of your chosen wood .

It will allways take time to master a organic Lathe , bu tit will be worth it as you have an awaiting lightning strike of luck on your hands better than any other handle making method ( or prop spinners or what ever you need to apply your luck with).

I hope i'm not misunderstood by a #thousand students .

spankedchrome is offline Find More Posts by spankedchrome
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:04 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Rich,

There are many manufacturers that sell replacement/upgrade reel handles. I suggest you check with a fly shop either in your area or on-line.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara