HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:06 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Cuban baseball team banned from MLB's World Baseball Classic

Quote:
MIAMI (Reuters) - The United States has denied Major League Baseball a license that would allow Cuba to play in the inaugural World Baseball Classic next March, The Miami Herald reported on Wednesday.

The decision came after Cuban-American members of Congress urged the U.S. Treasury Department to veto the license application and asked Major League Baseball to drop the Cuban team, the Herald said in a story posted on its Web site.

"There's always the option of an appeal. Major League Baseball's official position is: we want Cuba to play," Ronaldo Peralta of the MLB office in the Dominican Republic told the newspaper.

The tournament starts in Tokyo and ends in San Diego and many of the games will be played in the United States, which has been a magnet for the defection of a host of Cuba's best players seeking multimillion-dollar big-league contracts.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...archived=False
I think this is ridiculous, besides, I was hoping for the Braves to pick up a defecting closer, and maybe some more bullpen help. The good ones always end up on the Yankee$.

Maybe the truth is the government is afraid of the real possibility that the Cubans would win it all. A very real possiblility. Might be embarrassing.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Dec 16, 2005 at 06:16 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:25 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,813 Posts
Cuba's going to fall apart eventually, anyway, so why not let those Cubans come to the US and play? They'll have a chance to see what the US is like and, so long as they don't get shot as tourists in Florida, they'll be able to go back home and spread the "infections" of capitalism and US-style freedom. Provided, of course, that Castro doesn't have them shot, the way Stalin had returning Russian vets of the Spanish Civil War shot to prevent their telling others of the good things they saw in the West.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
What's the deal with the relations between U.S. and Cuba anyways, what's the reason for the embargo ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 17, 2005, 12:07 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
596 Posts
Why is the great big USA so scared of a little island like Cuba that it wont let its citizens visit it. Could it be they are scared that the truth about conditions there may be revealed to the American public, not just the propaganda from the anti Cuba establishment?
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Dec 17, 2005, 01:16 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Yeah thatís it!!! We are afraid that once we realize what a utopian paradise it is we will be making rafts out of VW Microbuses and trying to paddle 90 miles to live under a communist dictator.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Dec 17, 2005, 01:18 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
What's the deal with the relations between U.S. and Cuba anyways, what's the reason for the embargo ?.
Goes back a long while. It was mainly owing to Fidel's government nationalising some US owned assets without "due" compensation. Oh, and Fidel himself is a heathen commie so-and-so, who hates all things American, except baseball
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Dec 17, 2005, 02:19 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Jeepers, now baseball has become subversive!!! Even after growing up in Miami, I would have hoped that the US (and the Cuban refugee community that supports this position) could be bigger people than this. Castro even offered medical support to Hurricane Katrina victims (which we should have swallowed our pride and accepted if we are to one of the community of nations). We don't always have to agree with our fellow nation states to get along. Nor should they be required to be carbon copies of the good ol' USA. Cuba is collapsing under its own weight. Why not agree to a sense of detente like we did with the USSR and end this stupid hostility fest that serves no good purpose at all. This doesn't mean that I support the past bad acts of Castro one wit. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Bay of Pigs and the thugs that he sent over here during the Mariel boat lift. But enough is enough. I would think that we as a country can afford to be better than this. This boycott is childish and immature, just as our boycott of the 1980s Olympics was. Sometimes our country's government seems bent on acting like a willfull two year old. I love my country, but this kind of stuff makes me feel terribly sad and a bit ashamed to be an American.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Last edited by ClipperBill; Dec 17, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
It is all tied together with the politics and elections in Bolivia, Hugo Chavez' popularity and his thumbing his nose at Bush, as well as his dealings with Castro, the political aspect of voter support of Cuban expatriates in the big electoral vote state of Florida and the importance of that state to national elections and the failure to enact the free trade agreement with the southern hemisphere.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 17, 2005, 04:56 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Ya Cuba is such a wonderful place. Flush with his sugar daddy Chavez's cash, Castro has been increasing the repression lately, so much so that people are fleeing in numbers not seen since the Castro-sanctioned exodus of 1994.

From the NYT:

Coast Guard data show that as of Friday, 2,683 Cubans had been intercepted at sea this year, nearly double the amount for all of 2004. And while the high season for migrant crossings, when the sailing tends to be smoothest, is already past, scores have kept trying the journey despite the perils.

Why do people flee guaranteed jobs and health care anyway?
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Last edited by Fishnut; Dec 17, 2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 05:19 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
Mostly it's to appease people who left or were thrown out of Cuba by Castro. They largely live in Florida, they are a very strong, valuable voting block and they work very hard to make sure that the US does not lift the Embargo. At the same time they send money to Cuba thus going around the Embargo.

Castro seems to want to keep the Embargo going. Every time there is progress to getting it removed he does something to torpedo it. I think he wants it. It helps keep him in power. If people could cross back and forth, his reign would be over in months.

The embargo is just a left over relic of the Cold war, like Cuba itself.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:34 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Why is the great big USA so scared of a little island like Cuba that it wont let its citizens visit it. Could it be they are scared that the truth about conditions there may be revealed to the American public, not just the propaganda from the anti Cuba establishment?

americans aren't allowed to visit cuba??? no one told me that when i was there...

dave
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT