HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Nice installation! 10 seconds is a long time. That would take some getting used to.
Boomer
My ETNZ takes 6 secs to fully open/close. I think it is a lot. But it makes me really think about the tactics and about how to best manouver the boat around other boats/marks. For me, it has been a very good experience, as I must focus on keeping the speed up, avoiding getting myself into compromise with other boats/skippers. This in turn has made me a less aggresive competitor, and in the end, it is paying off in terms of regatta results.
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
Indonesia, Banten, Tangerang
Joined Jun 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Nice installation! 10 seconds is a long time. That would take some getting used to.
Boomer
actually it's lil' bit messy inside that hull. I paint the servo tray and keel cover in black so it look tidy, but actually it's not
and yes, 10 second is quite a long time, but actually it will open about 80% of full opening in less than 5 second, the and then the servo will be slowing down gradually. I didn't really understand why hobbyking make a servo like this, maybe they looking for a smooth moving servo. if that's the reason, then they've got what they planning beore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro View Post
My ETNZ takes 6 secs to fully open/close. I think it is a lot. But it makes me really think about the tactics and about how to best manouver the boat around other boats/marks. For me, it has been a very good experience, as I must focus on keeping the speed up, avoiding getting myself into compromise with other boats/skippers. This in turn has made me a less aggresive competitor, and in the end, it is paying off in terms of regatta results.
sure it's a lot time, but this kind of servo really teach me how to predict what line I'm gonna take after tacking and how do I arrange my sail. but, for me it isn't a really big matter since in my community, most of the boat is from hobby king, so most of all using similar winch servo

btw, ETNZ is good boat I think, even the copy of that hull is quite good and cheap too (I mean HK phantom)

another good news, one of my friend want to sell his seawind. since it was discontinued by kyosho, so I grab all my saving and pay for his seawind. I'm gonna paint it in peugeot 407 silhouette grey with lion face in it side
yeremia.zenas is offline Find More Posts by yeremia.zenas
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:57 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
Nice looking Fairwind 900 kit "in the box" in the classified section for only $100.00 Check it out if interested.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Ok..... this thread has made me want to sell my two un-built Fairwind 900 kits for a Fairwind III.....

Boomer... if you find a vendor with the Fairwind III let me know please.
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Ok..... this thread has made me want to sell my two un-built Fairwind 900 kits for a Fairwind III.....

Boomer... if you find a vendor with the Fairwind III let me know please.

Will do. I will keep a look out for one! Did you try Steve at Sailrc.com? A while back, Steve had one that he'd had set up with custom sails - more for racing, but he had all the deck goodies, stock sails etc. He may have sold it by now, but not sure - be worth sending him an e-mail.

Suggest contacting the larger hobby shops listed by Kyosho as dealers. Also a call to Kyosho in Lake Forest customer service might produce a lead as which dealers might still have some inventory. That number is: 949 454 8858 if Efrain is still there he might be someone to ask. Super nice guy and has always be helpful to me.

I fully understand why. The purest that race Fairwind's seem to perfer the earlier models thinking they are faster. I can't say, since I haven't run my boat against the earlier models. My sense is that the FW lll handles better due to the improved keel design - from the information he posted they weight about the same so that would not be a factor. I can say, the FW lll is a really beautiful boat!

I don't have a good picture of the keel for the earlier versions, just those I posted. I think you can see a bit of the difference - but it would be nice if you or someone could post a picture of their earlier model in the same position as the FW lll, then we could get a better since of the scope of the changes.

To me, the new design looks great! Good luck in your search!

Boomer

Boomer
Old Aug 17, 2013, 03:38 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Thanks..... I will make the contacts for sure and will post any info as well. I do love the "look" of the FW III and because its recreational for me and I don't race, the better design is a plus! I have my planes, but my late wife Claudia Star was the sailor and gave a close friend her original Nirvana. She was getting me into RC sailing which started with a Pro Boat Endeavor, then the Victor V-32.....
I want the FWIII as my third boat which will be the "C~Star III" in her memory.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
I like it! This is a very good reason for you to have one! So, any forum members that know of a Fairwind lll "simages" can buy, please let him know!

I know there are some overseas, but shipping would be too costly - this is a good cause and deserves some extra effort.

Boomer
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
I like it! This is a very good reason for you to have one! So, any forum members that know of a Fairwind lll "simages" can buy, please let him know! I know there are some overseas, but shipping would be too costly - this is a good cause and deserves some extra effort.Boomer
Aw shucks...... lilleyen thanks for your inspirational thread.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Aug 17, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:00 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Aw shucks...... lilleyen thanks for your inspirational thread.....
Your'e very welcome simages.

With people like boomer and the others who have contributed to it, it has become a very interesting thread.
It was much needed here on RCgroups, as the only other threads I could find were the Yahoo groups which are hard to use, and there was nothing on there about the newer model Fairwind III.

BTW, boomer, I have become aware of the gel coat on my FW3 being very delicate and brittle.
I thought this was supposed to be fairly durable stuff.

The slightest little brush up against the side of the cement pond where I sail frequently, results in scratches and quite often, fairly large chips of blue gel coat coming off, leaving big ugly white spots, which I have to touch up with paint.
I have rubber bumpers stuck all over it but I still keep getting damage.

A gentle nudge of the front of the keel on a rocky shoreline, (elsewhere), resulted in a big chunk of the white gel coat chipping off too.

Acquiring lots of scars.

Is this normal?

Have you noticed this on your boats?
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Pretty quiet on here.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:25 PM
Indonesia, Banten, Tangerang
Joined Jun 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Pretty quiet on here.

just receive a large package about two weeks ago. hey, it's my seawind

well, it's used, dirty, and old. but whatever. because I got it for under $300 and that price already include a sanwa ERG-VX servo that still working good.
yeremia.zenas is offline Find More Posts by yeremia.zenas
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
Here is the latest word on the Future status of the Fairwind from Kyosho:

Email from Kyosho Americas Promotion Manager, regarding the Fairwind production and it's future. Here is the responseRespond to Mr. Moynahan's inquiry from Kyosho in Lake Forest Ca.
Mr. Moynahan,

At this current time the Fairwind line has been officially discontinued. Discontinued is too of a strong word but lets say on hiatus for the time being. As you might have notices the same thing happened to the Seawind series and after a 1 ˝ to 2 year break it was re-lunched in an Ready to Sail form. We are in that gap with the Fairwind, I suspect we should be seeing or hearing some news around this time next year. As far as your AMYA members, they shouldn’t worry. We still have parts coming in every month to help keep the existing fleet going.

Thank you for your interest in our lineup, hope you have a great day.

__._,_.___

Be nice to see these wonderful yachts back in production. Boomer
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
In case you may have missed this thread, it's Fairwind-related:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post27691256
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog