HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
Discussion
forgive the stupid question

Sorry to ask this. How does one enter into the DS loop? Do you start on the windward side like a normal slope flight, gain altitude, then walk to the leeward side while also flying over to the leeward side?

How much altitude (typically) above the ridge is needed in order get over the other side safely?

Or do I not even have the right idea about DS? I've only seen a few videos of insanely fast loops (when will the sound barrier be broken? JK)

Again, forgive the question please.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,245 Posts
Yes, start on the windward side, and dive into the leeward side.
If it's a good DS ridge, you typically don't walk more than a few paces.
If you can step back from the front of the ridge and feel the wind stop
where you're standing, then it's probably a workable DS groove.
If you can't find a place to stand out of the wind, then probably not.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
Right on.
I'm imagining perhaps flying leeward a bit, roll inverted, then looping back towards the slope and up and over?
And what would you consider a safe "entry" altitude for a first attempt?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
As a beginning DS'er, I would start out on the front with decent speed at around 200 feet above the ridge. Dive in at a 45 degree angle and make sure to wait until the plane is below the rigeline before pulling out. Do a few "dips" in the back to figure out where the clean air is then try to string together some laps.

As you improve, you will be able to enter the ds circuit at nearly stall speed and then accelerate to top speed fairly quick while never coming back over the front of the hill.

We have DS'ing birds in our area that are fun to watch. They may have learned to DS from watching pilots. If a bird brain can do it, anyone can!
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
Sweet, thanks.
I may never even try it out of fear, but I am curious nonetheless. Just to see if it'll work.
IF I do, it'd prolly be with the disposable Speedo rather than my brand new Spider 60 with only about 45 minutes of flight time so far.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Combat wings are great for starting out in DS.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
Why?
Less drag and more disposable?

I have a more difficult time with flying wing visual orientation... however, that's only after one flight on a friend's Alula.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,492 Posts
DS for beginners

You dont have to set new world record to have fun.

DS for beginners. (1 min 50 sec)

Or
Sloping and dsing the Alula. (2 min 43 sec)

Or
Wiesel light, dune flying. (2 min 20 sec)

Or
DS combat, With Wiesel (2 min 3 sec)

Or
Alula DS. (Do not try this at home) (2 min 33 sec)

Or
Tree line DS, Dynamic soaring. (1 min 43 sec)

Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
I've seen a couple of those, but that first one helped as I was having a hard time visualizing the actual entry ffrom fron to back side, and most vids were while already in the loop.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Sweet, thanks.
I may never even try it out of fear, but I am curious nonetheless. Just to see if it'll work.
IF I do, it'd prolly be with the disposable Speedo rather than my brand new Spider 60 with only about 45 minutes of flight time so far.
The problem with the Speedo is that it is crunchy...and it tends to come apart at about 100 mph. A foamy is the way to go when learning so that the inevitable inadvertent meeting with the dirt doesn't end your day. That's why the combat wing recommendation.

If you're having problems visualizing the combat wings, some other foamy would be next best. You'll want it light so you can learn in light conditions. For several years I've tried to learn with a heavy foamy in strong conditions, which is why I'm not a very good DSer. My one day trying it in light conditions with the Dominator has been by far my most successful DS day.

It was good meeting you at Fermin a couple weeks ago!
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
Thanks for being gentle with the noob!

I'd doubtfully take it to 100mph. In fact, my 4s warbird prolly only goes 80mph as a totally wild guess and that's plenty fast for me!!
I'd guess I've had the Speedo up to about 50mph in a hard pullout and noted wing flex. So yeah, I won't be pushing the airframe to much for quite awhile.

Good info folks, thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,245 Posts
The DS groove doesn't care how fast you've flown before. If you fly the circuit, the plane
is going to continue to accelerate and the Speedo gets up to 100mph in the groove pretty quick.
I understand the desire to do it your own way, based on expectations, but unless you
really want to go home with a pile of rubble, you're still better off starting with a foamie.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,663 Posts
hehehe, some planes I have wanted to take it home in a pile of rubble, but not this one. Thank you.

I'll do a search for a cheapie combat wing.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:34 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
but unless you
really want to go home with a pile of rubble, you're still better off starting with a foamie.

ian
I would agree with this, did my first DS circuits a few weeks ago.

A few pointers are
1) drop in, half a circuit and drop straight back out again. Until you are very comfortable dont progress to 2
2) Do a single circuit, one and a half circuits and again drop back out. Until you are very comfortable dont progress to 3
3) Try and do more than one circuit. Plane will quickly hit vmax and youll find out if you plane is tough enough (i found out mine wasnt!)

Its great fun. Just take it slow and get used to correcting as you ride through the shear, my gulp required a lot as the whole plane wobbled and waggled.

Good luck.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,634 Posts
Just get a Weasel, build it bone-stock and have fun in 12-15mph wind. Make sure you turn your rates way down.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance