Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:32 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
What are the feet on those quads?

Right now the epoxy is setting on my wood h quad.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
After looking through this thread to say I feel like I'm in over my head is an understatement. I would like to try my hand at building a simple quad. Are the esc's the same as the ones on my planes? From what I'm reading there are 4 parts. The motors, ESC's, Rx, controll board. Of course the battery and Tx but those are a given. Is there a simple setup I can try out? Thanks all.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
609 Posts
Tom, the esc are the same but require 4 of the same for each motor. The popular one are those reflashed with Simon K firmware which is optimsed for multi rotors.

Motor wise will be lower Kv type compared w aircraft. Similar to the heli one.

The brain that flies them is the FC or flight controller. Many brands out there from few tens of bucks to grand..
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
After looking through this thread to say I feel like I'm in over my head is an understatement. I would like to try my hand at building a simple quad. Are the esc's the same as the ones on my planes? From what I'm reading there are 4 parts. The motors, ESC's, Rx, controll board. Of course the battery and Tx but those are a given. Is there a simple setup I can try out? Thanks all.

Tom
That's about it, except for the frame you build from whatever you like. In the end it'll be exactly the same variety of components you might have had on a prebuilt quad, except for the frame of course. And you have to set up the flight controller and get all the various wires in the right place, but that's not really hard to do and you're going to learn it sooner or later.

Plus you have the folks on this forum to help you along. We were all beginners once.

Here's a good mix of components that I think works well:

4- DT750 motors
4- 10x4.5 slowfly props of the proper rotations (CW & CCW- two of each, but buy a bunch because you'll break some learning to fly)
4- 30 amp ESCs (RCTimer house brand or HobbyKing F-20)
1- HK v2.1 board (cheap, easy to setup) or the HK KK 2.0 boards (still cheap but more features and maybe not as easy to setup, but not hard, very popular right now)
1- 2200mah 30C 3s battery (you can start with one, but you'll probably want more- maybe you already have some)
Your homemade frame
Your RX and Tx

Those are the major components, but there are all sorts of nuts, bolts, wires, connectors and what not to complete it, but nothing difficult.

Here's a nice step by step tutorial on how to build a quad:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tutori

Don't even think about the FPV stuff- save it for later after you've learned to fly

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:10 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Had the first test flight of my tricopter tonight (at last ). Just enough to confirm it flies in a small dark back yard.

A bit more info here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22949556

For starting I found hallstudio's videos very helpful. This was a major inspiration
Cheap easy tricopter build hobbyking rctimer hobbypartz (6 min 18 sec)
(as it has been for many others based on comments I've seen ).

I bought a little v929 quad that served me well to get trained up (just back into RC after flying gliders in the past ... but not since '99). I got it a couple of weeks ago.

I'll try to get some better pictures in daylight.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Tom, it's harder than it sounds.

Take 2 is progressing quickly, this time with a faster frame and more though put into routing and battery mechanics. I should have it fight worth tomorrow, lets hope it lasts more than one flight this time.

I have taken the basic wooden h quad and made some small alterations that should be pretty obvious in the pics. Unfortunately it's only allowing one pic at this time. This one shows it mostly assembled waiting for the battery plate on top. What you can't see is the power wiring under the KK board.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll go watch the tutorials and read some more. It looks like a fun build. I started out like everyone else flying CX helis and then went to 4ch then to 6 ch CP. now I'm flying 3D planes but I've never built my own helicopter. The quads look fairly simple to fly. I say that now. LOL. Well thanks again. I'm off to read some more.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:18 AM
France, RA, Grigny
Joined May 2011
10 Posts
Some of mine...

ponyofs is offline Find More Posts by ponyofs
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:30 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,422 Posts
I'd really like to build one like the black one with the 4 turnigy motors and the camera on the bottom. Did you get the parts from a US seller? Also what parts would I need? I found the v2.1 and the KK2 boards at HK but still don't know what motors and esc's to get. It just needs to pick up a pair of cameras. Gopros maybe. Well back to the build videos. Those videos are really good. Thanks all.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
ponyofs,

Do you have a CNC? Those parts look too clean for my fabrication ability and have no access to a CNC.

Anyone know when it's appropriate to move to 3 blade props, most calculators I see show little benefit?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:40 AM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
785 Posts
Flying Time Machine from the movie "Back to the Future" (2 min 11 sec)

wonder if anyone remembers this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Nice. I am going to make another attempt at breaking 3:00 at LA in March, It is proving elusive :-)

About the CD case...I love the geeky home made look of that round case. But do you have some examples of quads with car bodies?
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
What are the feet on those quads?

Right now the epoxy is setting on my wood h quad.
On my quads I have a metal bracket that slides inside the home depot pipe insulation tubes. I secure it by simply pushing a small stick (bamboo skewer) through the foam and bracket.

It is super light and has a bit of spring as well as being easy to remove.I need the height for antennas.

phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I have taken the basic wooden h quad and made some small alterations that should be pretty obvious in the pics. Unfortunately it's only allowing one pic at this time. This one shows it mostly assembled waiting for the battery plate on top. What you can't see is the power wiring under the KK board.
I love these wooden QuadH.
You can add it in this topic http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727528
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
On my quads I have a metal bracket that slides inside the home depot pipe insulation tubes.
Do they sell it without a seam, or did you glue it together yourself?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
Retired Flyer
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Nov 2011
112 Posts
Here's my latest H-Quad Build

I have this quad on the build forum.

Details: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748325
floridabiker is offline Find More Posts by floridabiker