Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Help!
School Project - Wing Design

Hi All,

As part of a university project, me and 4 others are designing an RC airplane. I was wondering if anyone had any resources for wing and tailplane design and sizing. We have some airfoils and a simulator, however I am looking to find information for choosing wing sizing, finding stall speeds, wing loading, etc.

If anyone can help me out with this it would me much appreciated.

Thanks
Cpt. Yesterday is offline Find More Posts by Cpt. Yesterday
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:02 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,893 Posts
Personally I would suggest looking at many of the different types of model, (there are loads of different model type forums here on RCGroups), just to decide what type, size, and power system you are considering. Even the building material that you will use can have a factor, as 'designing an RC airplane' can cover so many different ideas in peoples minds.

Once you have a clearer set of design requirements, then start searching for information related to that design.

One of the usual recommended sites to look at for 'first timer' model builders and designers is - http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Will it eventually be free flight, radio controlled, a UAV with autonomous control, simple trainer, aerobatic, futuristic..........? As you can see there are so many types of 'model aircraft', it becomes difficult to recommend sizes, expected weights, etc without a clearer defined objective, (is it part of a weight lifting competition ?).

The Search facility here on RCGroups is pretty good, so much of the information on things like stall speed can be found by searching the thread titles.

And welcome to RCGroups
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray