Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2014, 03:03 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
A well balanced APC prop will be perfectly happy at WOT on 3s. I also find they break less when flying over grass (enough to make them more economical than the cheap plastic ones). A nail file is an excellent tool for balancing APCs. You can even sand them down if they get chipped.

Here's how I fixed my spar:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23775708
That's pretty much how I repaired the broken spars (2 on the CP, 1 on the CY), except that I glued a much, much shorter piece of CF on each side of the spar.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:41 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Thanks! Any merit to the idea of running a 3x0.5mm carbon flat along the bottom of the wood spar, so I can let just the foam tear during learning exercises, or is that a waste of time?
I would repair each time you notice damage. Use CA if you need to fly immediately. Use Welder and the dry/tack up method if you have some downtime. That being said, a little extra bracing doesn't hurt anything except wing loading. If you can afford it and you still like the feel of the plane afterwards, it's a win-win. If you don't like the feel, tear it off and at least you tried...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3dhs fly low in east
Old Jun 27, 2014, 07:49 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
I would repair each time you notice damage. Use CA if you need to fly immediately. Use Welder and the dry/tack up method if you have some downtime. That being said, a little extra bracing doesn't hurt anything except wing loading. If you can afford it and you still like the feel of the plane afterwards, it's a win-win. If you don't like the feel, tear it off and at least you tried...
I never fly broken, I do the walk of shame back to my house (I fly these in a really big retention pond field about 6 houses down from mine because they're so slow and work great in a close area).

Plus, I'm never really in a hurry, I have a crap-ton of UMX birds that I can throw out there and enjoy some flights with. I would just use either Welder's or most likely Foam-Tac as FT will set up and get me in the air in about 10 minutes. I'm going on vacation tomorrow so when I get back I'll make a trip to the local hobby shop and pick up some appropriate carbon flat to make half-length spars for the top & bottom wings, and install them centered and sandwiched up to the wood spar.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick