Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2010
205 Posts
Question
Hyperion and Li ion help

I just picked up a plane that has duralite Li ion batteries RX and engine. I have a Hyperion Eos606i . I thought I am supposed to charge the batteries using the Lipo settings. The Li ion batts dont have a balance plug. When I connect the batteries to charge I keep getting a Low voltage message and it will not charge. I dont mean to sound like a newbie but I just done have any experience with Li Ion batteries. Is there another way to charge them? Do I need a different charger? THe instructions for my charger state Lipo/ Li Ion . Two out of thee three batteries have an extra JR type lead which I read from the duralite web site that are for balancing?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
zeus3313 is offline Find More Posts by zeus3313
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Do you have a link to your specific battery that you're attempting to charge? Many if not most Li ion packs have nominal voltage of 3.6V and termination voltage of 4.1V. LiFePO4 is even lower (3.3V nominal, 3.6V termination).

What is the voltage of your pack as measured at the output connector?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:13 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
If the batt. is to low, the charger will refuse to charge it. Set the charger to NIMH setting and charge till the cells are over 3 volts per cell, but no more, then set the charger back to lipo setting.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,607 Posts
Copied directly from the Hyperion 606i User's Manual:
=========================================
Note: The EOS0606i does not support charging of legacy 3.6v Lithium Ion cell types.
Never attempt to charge these cells, under any circumstances, using this charger.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut