Nov 17, 2012, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Can you give us a top view, and place something straight, like a carbon tube, or dropper, etc next to your plane, parallel to the boom?
Yep, in fact I'll do about 1000x better than that, give me about 15 minutes!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2012, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Can you give us a top view, and place something straight, like a carbon tube, or dropper, etc next to your plane, parallel to the boom?
Alright, here goes:

So first you asked for carbon rod next to the boom... Here's a 4mm carbon ribbon:

And a shot from the rear:

But then I thought... I can do better than this!

So I shot it with the laser!

First I made sure it was level:

Then I moved the laser until it lined up perfectly with the seams on the front of the fuselage:

This is how the laser looked on the tail, once I got everything lined up at the front:

Also, dihedral on the wings is just about zero... The main wing was super straight, and lined up good:

So there ya go, now tell me what the problem is!!

Haha, thanks for looking guys!
Nov 17, 2012, 03:00 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrhd0024 View Post
Alright, here goes:

So first you asked for carbon rod next to the boom... Here's a 4mm carbon ribbon:

And a shot from the rear:

But then I thought... I can do better than this!

So I shot it with the laser!

First I made sure it was level:

Then I moved the laser until it lined up perfectly with the seams on the front of the fuselage:

This is how the laser looked on the tail, once I got everything lined up at the front:

Also, dihedral on the wings is just about zero... The main wing was super straight, and lined up good:

So there ya go, now tell me what the problem is!!

Haha, thanks for looking guys!

Hows the ballance of the ready to fly plane in the left/right axis ??
Mabye one wing side heaver than the other ??

Just a thought !!!

Cheers
Patrick
Nov 17, 2012, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
Hows the ballance of the ready to fly plane in the left/right axis ??
Mabye one wing side heaver than the other ??

Just a thought !!!

Cheers
Patrick
Boy, I wish it was that easy!

Haha, Its pretty much spot on Patrick! There is nothing mounted on my wings to make them unbalanced, and with the wings removed, they balance perfectly within about 10mm from the center... So they're not far off at all...
Nov 17, 2012, 03:22 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:
Alright, here goes:

Holy smokes your SW is better balanced and more straight than any of ours

Do you have access to another wing set (friend's etc)? Just to go through the process of elimination?
Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 AM
Unbalanced wings won't cause an roll effect that big anyway.
Unless something is causing it to twist in the air at speed, all
you've got left is rudder trim to mess with.

ian
Nov 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
Foam Snow
Looking at this picture again:

Is it me, or is your wing slightly lower on the right than on the left, looking at this angle. Your Horiz Stab agrees, so that will cause a bank.
Nov 17, 2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Holy smokes your SW is better balanced and more straight than any of ours

Do you have access to another wing set (friend's etc)? Just to go through the process of elimination?

Lol!! I really did try and do a nice job building this thing, thats why its so frustrating that it flys like crap now!

I have thought of that actually though... I need to put a "wanted" ad out there, for a friend in NC who would let me fly with his/her skywalker wings!!

Have someone else fly my wings on their skywalker, and I'll fly their wings on mine... See if the problem persists...

I'm ALMOST to the point of ordering a set of 1900 wings to try on the thing...

Edit:
Oh, and with regards to that picture, I took it with my cell phone, so I'm pretty sure thats me leaning slightly to one side, not my skywalker!
Nov 17, 2012, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Unbalanced wings won't cause an roll effect that big anyway.
Unless something is causing it to twist in the air at speed, all
you've got left is rudder trim to mess with.

ian
Yea, I've thought about that as well... I have one of those little "gumstick" cameras. I need to take it and mount it to the wing to see if I can detect any flexing...

If I get a chance to fly tomorrow, I'll leave aileron trim alone and see what I can get with just rudder trim.

Thanks Ian!
Nov 17, 2012, 04:05 AM
Anyone want to buy the special one off, "NASCAR" edition Skywalker?

Makes left handed banked turns with ease, has a pretty paint job, and no crashes!

I'll let it go for 18 bazillion dollars!

Oh, and I accept paypal.

Anyone who meets asking price gets free shipping!

Nov 17, 2012, 05:32 AM
Member #1
I make my SW level by using a dual axis spirit level on the CG on a stand then reset level and pitch on my OSD pro guardian. Works every time, but not all of you would be using the OSD pro I'm guessing.
Nov 17, 2012, 05:56 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:

Edit:
Oh, and with regards to that picture, I took it with my cell phone, so I'm pretty sure thats me leaning slightly to one side, not my skywalker!
No - look again - your fuse is relatively square to the picture, but the wings are slanting to the right, therefore the horiz aswell...

Look at the picture below. from a to 1 and a to 2 is both 700 pixels.

Now,

From b to 1 is 743 pixels, 19.51 degrees angle
From b to 2 is 735 pixels, 18.56 degrees angle

The measurements are all relative, so it does not matter how you held the camera as long as it's relatively head-on.

Some difference, just a theory.
Last edited by heinduplessis; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Nov 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
WHY MY SW 1680 turn left itself ,it's balanced nicely left/right and CoG is right.Tail looks straight too !!!

???
Nov 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hmm second report of SW wanting to turn left by itself. I wonder if there's some factory mistake going on? :P
Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 PM
They must be putting gremlins in them now maybe a exorcism is in order.

Quick Reply