HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
New Art Tech

Hello,

New to rc planes and I have just bought the new Wing Tiger I have no idea what I am doing. Also bought RealFlyer simulator so I will learn how to fly no problem.
I just wish that the assembly instructions were more instructive, flying blind here.
If you have any wisdom you could share I would certainly appreciate it.

Also if you would

Answer for a foolish question.

Just received my Thunder AC 6 charger. Yesterday I received my first RC plane, a Art Tech Wing Tiger. Never messed with these systems before. When I charge my 3 cell 1800mah li-poly with the supplied charger I hook it to the balance connector. The AC 6 hooks to the +- terminal and the balance port. The AC6 does not come with a connector to plug the battery terminal to the charger where do I find a connector to do the job?
flipout is offline Find More Posts by flipout
Last edited by flipout; May 16, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Try where you bought the charger they may sell the plug.
Also be sure and flex the rudder and elevator before hooking control rods. They are very stiff with the plastic coating that comes on them. So flex them back and forth several times so they will move easier.
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old May 31, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Hello,

I am looking for a replacement for wing tiger motor. I would like to obtain a little more power. What do you thing about this motor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Any other recommendation?

Thanks you!
promigue is offline Find More Posts by promigue
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
motor replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by promigue View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a replacement for wing tiger motor. I would like to obtain a little more power. What do you thing about this motor?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Any other recommendation?

Thanks you!
take a look at post#150
I used the 3542-1100 version of this motor with 10z4.75 prop...Tons of power!!
moon12 is offline Find More Posts by moon12
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Hello How can I programm stock 20 amp ESC???
andrew199936 is offline Find More Posts by andrew199936
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi andrew199936!

Here are the programming steps for our Blitz/Art-Tech ESCs:

1. Make sure you can have the aircraft held in place just in case the motor kicks and it wants to take off on you.
2. Make sure everything is Powered OFF.
3. Have all trim settings in the middle position except for the vertical left tab, that should be at the lowest position.
4. Have the Throttle stick up at the highest position.
6. Power ON the Transmitter. (Controller)
5. Power ON the aircraft. (Plug in the Battery)
7. Pull the Throttle down then slowly back up.
The unit should start throttling up now, you can stop and throttle back down.
The speed controller should be reset now.

-Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Two "flights" - no luck ... yet

New to RC Plane flying, but wanted to fly one of these since I was a kid. The wife obliged with one heckuva Xmas present. I've practiced on the sim, got a hang of it, putting it all together - followed instructions as tight as I could, but so far though I've had no luck. I've gotten it going fast down concrete, nearly full throttle (it took a while to get it to stop veering left and right on it's own) and it doesn't even look like it's about to lift off.

The two attempts I've had at throwing it upward and outward (like a football or javelin) or letting it take off out of my hand have resulted in it nose diving immediately and breaking the prop. Now a servo(? - thing that controls the front tire and rudder?) doesn't function makes a weird noise, smells and looks to have melted.

I'm going to order replacement servo(?) and props - (I'm leaning toward the 4 propeller one recommended in this thread, but will take suggestions) - but I don't know how much good it'll do?

I've read every post and it seems like noone really has a similar issue to me which makes me think perhaps my tiger is defective. One thing I have noticed is that the elevator at rest is 20-30 degrees below center of the tail wing and when operating it it moves downward quite a bit but barely upward. This would explain my crash problem, but I have no clue how to fix it if that is the issue.

I've taken apart the servo thinking I can move that arm in there closer to the tail allowing it to line up with the rest of the tailwing at rest, but that's done no good either.

Kind of frustrating but any advice will be appreciated. I want to fly this puppy so badly! Thanks in advance.
Bwennen33 is offline Find More Posts by Bwennen33
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Hello Bwennen33
There are a few suggestions i can make that might help. Sounds like you had no up elevator at all for test flight. With out that she will never get off the ground.

1. Before connecting control rods flex elevator,rudder,alirons by hand to loosen movement. The plastic coating makes them very stiff,if it is like mine was.
2. Before connecting servos to control surfaces they need to be centered. You need to hook power to esc and power transmitter to allow servos to center. Make sure contol throws and trims are centered on transmitter. ( Bind TX &RX first)Which you must have already done!!
3. Then adjust contol rods so elevator. alirons, will be level before making final connections to control horns. Rudder should be straight before connection. You have to screw control horn connector in or out before making final connection.
4. After replacing servo make sure front wheel is straight and rudder is straight at same time. This will help it to go straight when taking off
5. Make sure to adjust throttle range on TX and ESC.

Plane should take off with 3/4 throttle with factory prop easily.
Since you have crashed make sure motor shaft is not bent.
Hope this helps
Michael
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks miknce! Quick response, and very appreciated. I'll get to work ordering the parts in and also boning up on my RC Airplane jargon. Some of the jargon is definitely still foreign but I bet thru some googling I can get it figured out fairly quickly. Thanks again for the help.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Mystery Solved! It turns out the Wingtiger came from wherever it came from (xmas gift) with the horn on the elevator installed backwards. Ha. Visited the local Hobby Store, got a new servo for the rudder and tire as well as a couple of new props thinking I could get it all going again this afternoon - but it wasn't the case.

For some reason, the pushrod controlling both the rudder and front tire was misaligned now - if the rudder was straight, the tire was tilted to the right, etc. The tiny silver thing (name if anyone knows? I need to replace it) that attaches the servo arm to the pushrod was sliding slightly as well - not loose, but enough that it could be forced - I thought this might be the issue so I attempted to tighten the little nut on it ... and broke the screw inside the little silver thing that grabs the pushrod off. To get the pushrod out I had to cut it - so I now need a new pushrod and a little silver thing.

It's a long trip to the hobby store, so I figured I'd ask quick if there's anything helpful I can do to get that pushrod in there without breaking anything else? I've struck out googling and youtubing and have no clue currently how to attach it to the front tire horn without disassembling everything involved with the front tire since it's all in that tight white plastic nose-cone style housing - and I'm not sure how to even go about doing that because it seems to involve special tools which I don't think I have.

After spending 6 hrs this afternoon with what I thought would be a simple servo replacement I'm dreading attempting this pushrod install. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. It looks like it might require a tiny hex? I just want to fly!!!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Hate you are having so much trouble. In order to get tire aligned with rudder you have to adjust rod where it hooks to front wheel. there is a set screw in front that allows adjustment. sort of hard to get to. Pull front cover off that covers motor. You can make a new push rod from piano wire. Just make it like the one you cut. LHS usually has the piano wire and the connector like you broke. And yes you do need allan wrench to use on connectors. Metric best i remember.
After installing new wire first connect rudder to servo and adjust throw inside plane at servo connector. Then make connection in front aligning wheel and your done.
Easy to type solution but hard to do in such a tight place. Been there done that.
Didn't cut my push rod though.lol
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Hope to get the pushrod in today - and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be in the air soon.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
I'm really figuring the ins and outs of this things replacing parts like I am - it's actually fun - i can see why people like this hobby so much! Currently waiting on a replacement engine now. I did make it up in the air - and it went straight down 3 seconds after. I think I went up at too steep an angle (not used to having a working elevator) and stalled out. It ended up breaking the ... shaft? that the prop screws on to. The replacement engine is on it's way. And i've been practicing on flight sims in the meantime. Thanks again for the help.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quick question: Got the engine in and soldered the connectors on. It's been a while so I'm not that great and there was some leftover solder on one of the pins that plugs into the female receptacles on the plane. Didn't think this'd be an issue. Plugged the battery in, smelled smoke pretty quick, and unplugged the battery again - didn't see any damage anywhere so I plugged it back in thinking maybe the excess solder burned off ... but now the indicator LED on the ESC is no longer lighting up. I'm assuming I fried it, but I'm afraid to get a new one and plug it in because I'm thinking I'll fry the new one too ... but I see no damage anywhere or anything to fix. Advice when you have a minute? Thanks,
-Bret
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwennen33 View Post
Quick question: Got the engine in and soldered the connectors on. It's been a while so I'm not that great and there was some leftover solder on one of the pins that plugs into the female receptacles on the plane. Didn't think this'd be an issue. Plugged the battery in, smelled smoke pretty quick, and unplugged the battery again - didn't see any damage anywhere so I plugged it back in thinking maybe the excess solder burned off ... but now the indicator LED on the ESC is no longer lighting up. I'm assuming I fried it, but I'm afraid to get a new one and plug it in because I'm thinking I'll fry the new one too ... but I see no damage anywhere or anything to fix. Advice when you have a minute? Thanks,
-Bret
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. I haven't seen a indicator light on a esc. Not to say some brands don't have them,just haven't seen one. Sounds like you may have burned out your tramsmitter receiver. (RX) Make sure you put heat shrink on motor connectors so they can't short out. You may need to bind your transmitter to receiver again. That might be the problem if the light is out on rx.