Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:21 AM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
333 Posts
Question
So which radio?

I have an old Futaba Attack 75MHz AM Tx right now but I am looking towards the future. I have checked the usual sources (Futaba, Hitec, JR, et al.) and all I have seen are sets comparable to the one I have: 2ch low end radios. I have a Multiplex Evo9 I use for sailplanes but it's on 72MHz. The only way I could use it would be to get a 2.4GHz module for it (rumor has it XPS makes one). Are there any other choices besides going to a pistol grip?

Brian
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
Futaba 3VC Super

I use a Futaba 3VCS 3 ch with 2.4 Faast Modules, It works very well for yachts, cant find a ratchett for the winch side, so I have just removed the spring. rc mushroom has them for $285 plus you'll need the faast modules at another $189? from Tower or RC Mush.

Not a cheap setup, but I have only had the 39.95 types of radios for years and suffered from problems at times, always the worst time, like leading races in world champs! So now on am a convert to having the best rc gear, and have not had one problem with this system in over a year.
isobaryachts is offline Find More Posts by isobaryachts
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:58 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Brian

i'm a big supporter of spektrum radios. the best thing is there is no more air ground frequencies to deal with. i can race my nitro cars, nitro heli, or my sail boats with them. i bought the dx7 because the dx6 was out of stock at my lhs. i spent $100 more for the dx7, but i gained 10 more model memory doing it. i know there are other features that will come in handy for my plains as well. a dx6 has a shorter range, and was designed basically for park fliers. my dx7 is a full range transmitter. futaba has a nice 2.4 ghz radio, but it only has 6 model memory witch i would fill very quickly.

there is nothing wrong with the low end futaba radios at all. i just got tired of having to change crystals when i raced my nitro cars. my first car was on a stick radio. wasn't a problem at all.

do you fly plains/helis? if so, and cash flow permits i recommend getting a s.4 ghz radio. you won't regret it.

just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:41 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hi Brian...

Well doomracing will disagree but you don't really need a killer radio for r/c yachting. Me, I'm getting by on an old pistol grip Sanwa SevenAce AM radio (something so old it doesn't even show up if you google it) with the spring on the trigger removed and it's working juuuuuust fine.

Sure...... there is better out there and yes they all have useful improvements- but the fact will always remain that your finishes depend more on you than on your radio.

In your shoes I'd stick to the ole Futaba Attack as you start up. Upgrade later when you KNOW the radio is the limitation. Me..... I know it doesn't make a difference if I use that SevenAce or something better.... so the SevenAce will soldier on for now.

Cheers

Darth
DarthDude is offline Find More Posts by DarthDude
Old Oct 29, 2007, 08:03 AM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Darth

i'm not saying to go buy a spektrum. if he's into other rc stuff it's money well spent. god yes it's over kill for a sailboat, but if you get with others either racing, or just day sailing not having to worry about channels rocks. never having to worry about what channel others are on is what i like best.

i used to have every car on it's own radio just so someone else could race with me. now i have a bunch of friends to sail with. having no conflicts is a big plus to me. i could get 6 attacks for the price of my dx7, but i also fly plains, and helis. it's great for my situation.

bkopke is looking for down the road. maybe plains are in his future, or present is all. having all my boats on 1 radio helps eliminate clutter, and not worrying if i grab the right radio to go sailing. a spektrum rx is only $50 locally. the futaba spektrum rx is $80.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hiya doom.....

Yeah I get what you're saying. I guess it makes some kinda sense but me, I had this old Sanwa SevenAce lying around. It was the radio I got with my car when I first started out. Been idle since I replaced it with a Sanwa 3PS (another golden oldie) computer radio with digital adjustable everything so when I bought the Fairwind, I threw in this ole AM radio in it and it worked just fine. Ditto Seawind... I'm real happy with that ole SevenAce- if nothing else it's a darned sight lighter which helps on those multiple-hour long sorties you get when sailing.

Oh well... each to his own. For SAILING, there's no need for anything more than a basic 2 channel AM radio. Even if you want to have more than 1 yacht, I'd still recommend the basic 2 channel AMs- you can get a complete Tx and Rx set off ebay for less than what a 2.4GHz Rx would cost and having 1 Tx and 1Rx for each yacht you have can only be a good thing- drop your Tx in the pond and hehey... there's another one waiting to go!!!

So anyway... MY recommendation to bkopke is to stick with that Futaba Attack for now. It's FINE and will keep you happy so long as you're just sailing. Even with multiple yachts, I'd suggest multiple el-cheapo 27MHz AM radios. It's only when you want the same radio to handle yachts, EP boats, GP boats, EP cars and GP cars then yeah... you'll need something a lil more flexible.

Cheers

Darth
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
333 Posts
I checked out the Xtreme Power Systems 2.4G module for my Evo9 and it's not too pricey at $139. Here's the rub: the receivers are $100 a pop. And as far as I know you cannot use another brand. I could buy a separate radio for each boat for that kind of money. Although from the answers I have so far reliability of the AM (75 or 27MHz) sets might be an issue. I am assuming that the trouble everyone experienced was interference, which the SS stuff is supposed to address. Sounds like that may be the way to go when the time comes.

Hopefully the old Attack will hold up a few more years. I cracked the case open today and re-soldered some bad solder joints and replaced a couple of electrolytic capacitors that can go bad over time. This set was gold stickered 1994 so it's pretty much an antique as far as electronics go.

Thanks for the answers, some good pro and con discussion is what I hoped for. Keep it coming.

Brian
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
Landlubber
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Welp.... I tellya- the only time I have glitching is when someone is standing too close to me with a REALLY nasty Tx- most dramatically when my AM Rx was fried by one of those NQD RTR boat Txs. If the next guy has a real hobby grade Tx you'll be fine.

Apart from that, route the antenna thoughtfully and you shouldn't have any problems- just remember that AM radios like their antennas vertical so a little hole and antenna tube up thru the deck just forward of the mast (or run up one of the stays like what I do) is probably called for. Also, they're a lil vulnerable to electronic interference- so keeping the antenna away from servos and servo wires also helps.

Having said that, I ran the Fairwind for MONTHS with an AM radio with the antenna run horizontally inside the hull and never had any troubles either.

Hmmmmm

Darth
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:48 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,050 Posts
For racing or with a bunch of boats on the water - the 2.4Ghz makes a lot of sense. Even for being able to fire up the radio and boat for a static land check before your race heat. If you plan on doing anything in the racing vein, the 2.4 Ghz makes a lot of sense, and at the higher cost, consider it as an "investment".

While an AM radio "system" is a lot less expensive, be sure to add in a bunch of crystals when comparing price. They add up, and you need two for every channel you "hope" to use. Nothing worse than walking up to a radio board and seeing the every crystal you have in your inventory, is being used by someone else already. I will admit that replacing an AM receiver at $20-$25 is a lot less than the 2.4 Ghz ones, but this is my first failure since 1987 - 1989. If the Spektrum kinds last that long, it is sort of a moot point.

It is easy to show up, turn on the radio, and go sailing - instead of trying to see who is using what, and then pulling and replacing crystals so you are "different" from all others. On the other hand, if it's you and a buddy or two, agreeing on crystal/channel selection for some local pond fun can keep price down considerably using a 27mHz or 75mHz system.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
333 Posts
That may be the plan, if (or really, when) I get into competition I'll get the 2.4G rig for my Evo9. Until then ATTACK!

Thanks again for the comments.

Brian
Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
we are here to help. have fun, and ask any questions that come up.

Jerry
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
I use a Spektrum DX6 for my sailboats and tugboat. I love it, I will never buy
crystals again.
Spektrum DX6 $164.99

Spektrum Rx $40.00
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
I use a Spektrum DX6 for my sailboats and tugboat. I love it, I will never buy
crystals again.
Spektrum DX6 $164.99

Spektrum Rx $40.00
where ya getting rx's for $40? link please.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 01:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
My RC Supply had them on sale, not anymore.

Best price now is Toods Models.

$42.99-http://www.toddsmodels.com/ShoppingCart.asp?ProductCode=SPM6000
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:02 AM
Jakarta Indonesia
Joined Jun 2006
227 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 1995 model Sanwa Dash AM radio that I was planning to use in my Voyager. Itís seen practically no use and has been well stored.
My question is how compatible are these older AM radioís with later servos? Especially when the plan is to use some of the larger digital Servos for the sail control.

I plugged two of the servoís from my JR Racing XS3 pistol Grip FM radio into the AM RX. nothing happened, swapped them with the original Sanwa servos and everything worked OK.

Whatís the Rule of Thumb regarding compatibility with these cheaper AM/FM sets?
Also are there range issues?

Regards,
James
james carey is offline Find More Posts by james carey