HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:43 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Discussion
Calling all Pilots in Bergen County (Northern NJ)

Where are u flying? I just got kicked out of my favorite spot today so I'm looking for other flying fields. If anyone knows any spots close to Fort Lee, paramus, Edgewater, Ridgefield, etc please let me know!! Thanks
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:56 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
just wonder what was the reason for being kicked off?

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:24 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Honestly no reason at all. The sign just says no pets and a permit required if using the field with 10 or more persons. The guy was doing some work and once he saw me walk on the filed with my heli he said 'you cant fly that here". When I asked why I couldn't fly there the guy who seemd to be the super care taker of the park told me they "dumped a lot of money this year into the field" and didnt want pets or anything else that would damage the field or something like that. It really didnt make much sense. There was no one on the field. They play soccer games there but I dont fly there now when the games are being played. I always go late when no one is there. I sort of bargained with him and promised not to fly there if anyone was around and he kind of said ok but do it at your own risk. He said if the cops come they will kick me out. And said "I never saw you here." Its a town park i find it hard to believe they can do this.

Shame cause this is one of the nicest spots..very secluded and wide open. Guess I will continue to go there until the cops say something. I got the number to call for questions so maybe I iwill try talking with someone at the office but I dont think i will get to far with that.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
Orion V,
your story sounds exactly like mine. I live around the corner from a community park with 3 soccer fields, baseball fields etc. The only time they use the fields are for soccer. I was flying there, no one on either of the three fields. The few people that were walking around the fields doing exercise did not even bat an eyelid.
After I was done, I noticed a sign saying permit required (like yours) and no golfing.
I thought I would do the right thing and called them to find out if it were ok, and they just told me NO.
It seems like a real shame that we cannot use these facilities. Maybe if they just listened it would encourage kids in the area to get involved instead of getting up to nonsense in the neighborhood etc.
ivorz is offline Find More Posts by ivorz
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Strange world. I fly mostly in a church lot. Started years ago doing control line. The preacher came out and we talked and arrived at the normal "as long as there isn't a problem" understanding. I've been flying helis there since I started back. The grounds keepers think it's neat. I have chatted with them. I met the only one I hadn't talked to, today after flying. Turned out he drove dive bombers in Korea :-) We got on pretty well. I still tread carefully because one complaint and we "ain't normal" folks are banished.

The bulk of us fly responsibly and ground our helis when folks walk through the field, leaving no possible perception of "buzzing". I don't think you can get permission from anyone if you ask.

fortunatly I live in a city where if a complaint was called in and you didn't violate a line item on a sign, you'd likely be told to move on, after the prerequsite Qs "how high, how far, how much". In an adjacent city they'd probably confiscate your whole rig.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:20 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorz
After I was done, I noticed a sign saying permit required (like yours) and no golfing.
I thought I would do the right thing and called them to find out if it were ok, and they just told me NO.
It seems like a real shame that we cannot use these facilities. ....
Strange! We just use the air, don't we? We dont' use the ground...
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:28 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
thats right i forgot to add the sign said no golfing either..lol

Yeah I hear you guys. It kind of seems like the luck of the draw when it comes to where you can fly. I BET if that care taker was interested in my heli or if he was in the hobby he would have never said a word to me. I'm HOPING the cop that does finally see me there is interested in helis or RC because I can bet a million bucks he probably wont tell me to go as long as their is no one on the field. Longshot I know but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Winter season is coming anyway so I wont be flying much perhaps I will have more time to scout other fields for next season.

Oh I drove to a local RC club after I left the park to check out the field and the guys there were not friendly at all. Asked a few questions a got very short responses from them. Specially when they learned I was flying electric helis..lol You just cant win
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:36 PM
Nebraska
Joined Feb 2005
179 Posts
If it is a city park and there are no city statutes prohibiting a remotely controled vehicle I would not think there is any room for anyone to ask you to leave. This is of course as long as the vehicle is not operated in a careless or negligent manner (I am sure this is not the case). I would bet that flying something on the order of a large stunt kite would not be given a second thought because of general acceptance and familiarity. However, in NE if the party owning or in control of a property requests someone to leave and they refuse, that party can be arrested for trespassing. I do not know if that is the case where you live. Any way, sounds like a very lame escuse for asking you not to fly. I imagine the decision was based on ignorance.
copflyer is offline Find More Posts by copflyer
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:56 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Actually the park is in a suburb in NJ. Which is where I spend my weekends and do my flying. I think one of the main reasons for the trouble with this park is that it recently has been majorly restored. It does seem like they spent a lot of cash because the place looks beautiful compared to how it looked last summer. Naturally the care takers are going to be extra anal about anything. Maybe the guy is under a lot of pressure to keep the place perfect and is very paranoid that someone like me bringing a heli will damage something in some way or fashion. But cmon...its not like I was bringing a giant scale heli to fly. I had my itty bitty Trex which practically looks like a toy. Good thing I didnt have my BT Corona with me..lol...Your right unless there is some kind of sign or rule that specifically states you cant fly electric powered models I dont see how he or even a cop could have the right to tell me to leave. It is a public "town" park after all.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:00 PM
Nebraska
Joined Feb 2005
179 Posts
Exactly.
copflyer is offline Find More Posts by copflyer
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
Maybe we should look into this further and find out what the ordinance says. If it's just a case of them being concerned about the grass, then what about the damage they do playing soccer. Noice is a non issue. A soccer team makes more noise.
The only other thing is liability. Not sure if our AMA would cover that.
ivorz is offline Find More Posts by ivorz