Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 02, 2014, 12:37 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
I first leaned of Wapato Lake when I lived in Puyallup about ten years ago. It reminded me ot the lake we ran on in Denver and one we ran on near San Jose.

Maybe I will be able to try it sometime this summer.

My interest is in scale stuff. Fishing boats, tugs, Chris Craft, etc.

Bob Macklin
Kent, Wa
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 12:47 AM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
I've always wanted to build an old fishing schooner
fa18skypilot is offline Find More Posts by fa18skypilot
Old May 02, 2014, 09:41 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Here's one I built in 1970. It is a Billing kit.

Bob Macklin
Kent, Wa
Old May 02, 2014, 09:48 AM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
In the 1960's I had a Sterling Chris Craft and a Bunker Boat. (look up bunker boat).

I have a Dumas Chris Craft Commander to build. Last week i got a copy of the plan I built my bunker boat from.

Right now I am working on a Billing Nordkap. I hope to have it pretty much done this summer.

I have a Lindberg PT-109 at a point it is runable. I may take it to Wapato Lake soon.

Bob Macklin
Kent, Wa
Old May 02, 2014, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
The Blue Nose is a kit id like to get my hands on. I got the lakes name backwards. The one i ran at is lake waughop in fort steilacoom. I just went to lake wapato today seems nice. im doing research on any rules about running boats.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa18skypilot View Post
I just read that sign and it has specified Boat running times i just ran my pt boat on China lake over by Cheney stadium. Or i got to lake Wapato im probably going to hit lake wapato in the morning again. China lake is filled with a water lily bloom so my prop was getting tangled like crazy sent my boat off into a shrub and took out the radar mast.
We were battling at Swan Creek, last time I saw the sign, there were no running hours, just an outright prohibition. Haven't been by in a few months though. We generally don't battle anywhere that gets much foot traffic, animal traffic, or non-combat watercraft.

A lot of the ponds/lakes that aren't stream fed seem to suffer from the lily bloom. We can't play in that stuff either. Hard to find a good pond - especially considering the need to retrieve a sunken boat, makes depth a very important consideration to us.
xanin is offline Find More Posts by xanin
Old May 05, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanin View Post
We were battling at Swan Creek, last time I saw the sign, there were no running hours, just an outright prohibition. Haven't been by in a few months though. We generally don't battle anywhere that gets much foot traffic, animal traffic, or non-combat watercraft.

A lot of the ponds/lakes that aren't stream fed seem to suffer from the lily bloom. We can't play in that stuff either. Hard to find a good pond - especially considering the need to retrieve a sunken boat, makes depth a very important consideration to us.
Yeah lily blooms are a pain. Took my fletcher out to a lake this weekend ended up trolling a ton of them behind me all snagged on the rudder. Mason lake near the boat launch is normally very un occupied with foot traffic and is super shallow maybe 2FT deep for about 150 to 200 ft out.
Old May 06, 2014, 10:14 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
580 Posts
Back when I lived in Federal Way (many years ago), the NW RC Ship Modelers had a "south end group" that would get together at Steele Lake Park....

I'd ask the NWRCSM if they still do that....
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater