HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 01:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Discussion
Sidewheeler Josie Olsen plans

I was look at model boat plans on EBay and ran across a neat little sidewheeler called the Josie Olsen. Looks like it was copied from an article in a magazine. I went ahead an bought it. It says you get a CD with the article and plans. Anyone know of this or build one. I read some of the article and the author sounds like a character.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 02:13 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Josie Olsen Article

It was published in an Air Trails American Modeler Annual. The paddle drive is through a worm gear arrangement, but was designed but before slot cars really hit the market, so a slot car or R/C car rear drive gear set could be easily adapted. The boat is not a particular actual ship, but captures the essence of the New England island steamers, such as the Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I The superstructure could be modified to develop a very scale-like model of one of these boats.

I bought the CD and followed the instructions for printing. I got a nice set of full sized tiled sheets that taped up into a full sized plan. No build yet, but I am quite pleased with the plan set.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 04, 2013, 02:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Thanks Pete, I'm planning on taking the CD to my favorite printers(great people) and having them copied & enlarged 150%. I believe that gives me an approx 46" long model.As for the drivetrain, I have an idea for that involving a gearbox out on a 1/16th scale RC tank.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut