HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,429 Posts
Discussion
Spray gun sizes

I have a 5 oz hvlp I paint my planes with. I use a paasche H single action for smaller parts and a little detail work. Is there something in between for doing smaller jobs like a cowl? My 5 oz cup uses lots of paint for a small 8" diameter cowl. Or is there a tip I can get for my paasche to give a bigger pattern, something like a 3" pattern. My searches havent found anything for the paasche.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
How about a touch up gun?
http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-u...gun-66871.html

Maybe not this particular one, I have a devilbis that's real nice.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,429 Posts
I have a hvlp 5oz cup from harbor freight. It does ok for now, but it uses a lot of paint for the quick passes I do on a small piece.
Edwin
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Mines not hvlp, it seems pretty reasonable on paint, but I have a feeling mine might be a little more adjustable that the harbor freight one. I have the hf gravity feed as well, it uses more paint than my siphon one for some reason. Great for primer though.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,429 Posts
Yeah, I use my hvlp for primer and base colors. Its the small pieces I'm looking for a gun for. I'm currently using my paasche for that. Its about 1/8 oz per coat. It takes at least 1/2oz just to fill enough in the hvlp to start spraying. It became an issue when I started running low on paint and had to switch guns to make it last, just barely made it.
Edwin
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
I have, and use, an air brush, touch up gun, and a production HVLP gun.

I find it best to purchase an excess of paint, and mix plenty for spraying. In my mind, at least, this eliminates the worry of material supply problems. I know that I have enough material in my gun to complete the project.

It may not be the most economical solution, but it does calm the nerves while painting my latest project.

Unless catalyzed, I pour the left over mixed paint back into it's original container. Catalyzed paint goes into a jar, which is placed into my shop's refrigerator for long term storage.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:55 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Tom thats a good trick putting catalized mix in frig. I suppose the cold prevents it from activating, how long have you kept it and when you take it out and use it does the activation time change.

I'm doing some stuff now, clear coat 3 part and I hate to throw it out if I'm doing more the next day. Never would have thought of that, neat idea, might just give it a shot, thanks. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Leroy; I'vce kept activated paint for over a year for a year. Your experience may vary.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
989 Posts
I have the HF HVLP touch up gun and just bought a Sharpe Finex 1000 with a 1.0 tip. I was amazed at the difference!! The single biggest difference was the atomization. I could get nice small particles without having to crank the pressure up. The controls on the Sharpe work so nicely. You turn a knob a little, and it changes the pattern...a little. My HF has lousy pattern control and will make for a nice primer gun.
That being said, the HF gun shoots latex stunningly!!
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
I have the HF HVLP touch up gun and just bought a Sharpe Finex 1000 with a 1.0 tip. I was amazed at the difference!! The single biggest difference was the atomization. I could get nice small particles without having to crank the pressure up. The controls on the Sharpe work so nicely. You turn a knob a little, and it changes the pattern...a little. My HF has lousy pattern control and will make for a nice primer gun.
That being said, the HF gun shoots latex stunningly!!
What size compressor is required for this gun?
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
989 Posts
I have a 30 gallon upright, which plenty, but I don't know the specs of the gun right off hand for the minimum needed.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Thanks
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t