HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2015, 12:36 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
Question
Turnig 9xr to 9x buddy box?

Howdy Folks,

I have a Turnigy 9x that I've used for 2 years now with stock V2 software and no mods at all. Works great and I love it.

Wouldn't mind getting my 5 and 8 year olds into flying soon. Thinking of getting a second radio and setting up as a buddy box system with my 9x.

I'm thinking a Turnigy 9xr (or 9xr pro) would be a great second radio. I have searched the web, rc groups, and this forum, but haven't seen any clear answers on if these 2 radios would buddy box well.

I'm sure the anwers are on this forum, but each thread contains dozens or hundreds of pages, makes info a little hard to find. The Rc groups search engine didn't help me out a lot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or give me a link to the answer?

Thanks a lot.
Nwtlakes is offline Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:01 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,253 Posts
All three of those radios will buddy box well, as they all have the JR type trainer port. The only issue you will have is with the Turnigy 9x, as the trainer port on the 9x will only function with the module removed from the module bay.

There is a fix though. The resistor mod is shown in the video below.

KC

Hobby King Turnigy 9X Trainer Function and Simulator Modification Fix Resolution DIY (10 min 21 sec)
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:02 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
Great, thanks for that video link.

I would like to be able to use both radios, with their modules. I was hoping they could be connected and used together for training. And then disconnected and used to fly 2 different models at the same time. If I modified the 9x with the mentioned resistor, does the module still have to be removed every time I want to use it as a buddy box?

And have you seen any videos of anyone connecting a 9xr pro to a 9x buddy boxing successfully? I've seen various posts that say is SHOULD work, but haven't seen anybody who has done it. I'm not an electronics tinkering hobbyist, so trouble shooting and figuring how to mod something to get it to work isn't my forte. I could follow the above video as that seems pretty straight forward, but beyond that my soldering skills are pretty lacking..

Guess I'm wondering if I would then have to crack open the 9xr pro and start soldering that too, to get them to work...
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:24 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,224 Posts
Tried it with 9x and OrangeRX module as Master, running ER9x firmware.

Trainer screen set up in normal way.

Slaves were:

1. 9x with FrSky module running OpenTX firmware. Had to set protocol to PPMSIM to get results.

2. 9XR with no module running ER9x. No problem.

3. 9XR Pro with no module running Ersky9x. No problem.

I hope this gives you what you need. Feel free to ask more questions.

I don't have a 9x running stock firmware to test but would expect good results. I can say for sure that the 9XR and 9XR Pro work well in the buddy box role and are very good all round transmitters. Having worked on the Pro beta team, helping to prepare the manuals I can particularly recommend it. I have two of them and they have been my main sport flying and training transmitters (often with a 9XR as the buddy box) for the past year .

UPDATE
I realized that I did have a 9x sitting unused in the basement (from the days when they were on special for $39.95 including module!).

So I fired it up with FlySky module and after a bit of hassle figuring out how to set up trainer in the stock firmware, got it working. Yes, the 9XR Pro does work fine as buddy box.

What I had forgotten was that the stock transmitter/firmware combo has the trainer switch wired backwards. You hold it for the Master to have control and release it to give control to the student. Not a viable arrangement! But the 9XR Pro was not the issue.

If I had a 9x with stock firmware and bought a 9XR Pro, I would use the Pro as the Master, do the resistor fix on the 9x and use it as the slave (student) Tx.

Or I would upgrade the 9x to ER9x firmware and use it as master. The snag with the latter is that you need a programmer, but the result is an excellent transmitter. I would install a programming board from SmartieParts and screen backlight from HobbyKing.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 02, 2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:50 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,253 Posts
D66, Nwtlakes is running stock software. The opensource firmware (ER9X, OpenTx) have a work around and don't need the resistor mod for the trainer port to work. (You probably know this already).

Nwtlakes, only the 9x needs the resistor mod and the trainer port will work with the module left in place. Thats the reason for the mod, so the module can be left in place.

The 9xr and the 9xr pro do not need to be modded. The trainer port woks in stock form.

The 9xr and the 9xr pro are the progressive improved versions of the 9x. There is no reason why they souldn't be able to buddy box successively.

I haven't searched for an anecdotal confirmation, but I'll give it a go and see what's out there.

KC
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:05 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,224 Posts
Thanks for the extra info. See my additional test above using the stock firmware. What do you know about the reversed trainer switch on the 9x?
Old Jan 02, 2015, 02:55 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,253 Posts
First time I'm hearing of it. I've never used the 9x in stock form. I modded it to run ER9x as soon as I got it, but as I was reading up on the 9x before modding, I don't recall anyone mentioning reversed behavior from the trainer switch. That's a very odd behavior for a trainer switch.

Edit: @ Nwtlakes. Daedalus66 has confirmed the 9x works with the 9xr pro. The link below has confirmation that the 9x works with the 9xr as a buddy box.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...ll=1#post96005 Post #3.
Last edited by KC; Jan 02, 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 04:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,224 Posts
Here's more info that should help set up the 9x. But it's hard to find material specifically related to the stock firmware.
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.p...ructor/Student

It's only with the stock firmware that the reversed trainer switch is an issue.

Here's one discussion:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f....asp?TID=15513
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 02, 2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 04:40 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,253 Posts
I suppose the two wires could be swapped on the trainer switch to correct the reverse behavior. But than would that have any adverse side effects?
Old Jan 02, 2015, 06:42 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,224 Posts
I think that's all there is to it. The switch is wired backwards. It's a matter of moving the outer wire from one end to the other, so pressing the lever turns it on instead of off.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:55 PM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
Wow, looks like I asked the right group of guys! Thanks so much for the quick responses with great information.

Thoughts:

The 9x is funny to me. I bought it 2 years ago, have used it pretty much daily with stock firmware, and I think it's a fantastic radio. All my models are simple 4 channel homebuilt designs. But everywhere I've looked for info on it all that turns up is the ways to mod it, make it better, change it etc...... And of course the constant line, "Stock firmware? I've never used the stock firmware! The radio is 10x better when you upgrade it!....." Hahahaha. It's good enough for me the way it is. But finding any documents on using it can be challenge when, in my humble opinion, it seems like only 2% of 9x sold are still using stock firmware. Sigh....

So I love my 9x and don't need a new radio. But if I want to buddy box with my boys I need two transmitters. So then I think the cheapest solution is to buy another 9x for $50, but once Ive paid the shipping, perhaps it would make more sense to just get a 9xr pro and then have 2 fantastic radios. (as far as I can tell the it's 9xr pro $99, lipo $15, module that works with my 9x receivers $20, for a total of $135.) And you guys have basically answered my questions that this is a great plan that will work well.

However, I have read what I could find about the 9x. And the 9x with the reversed trainer switch is NOT a good solution. I don't want to use the 9x as a master and have to hold the trainer switch on, while flying to maintain control. That's really dumb. So as you guys have mentioned, if I can use the 9xr pro as the master, and it's switch is correctly installed that should be perfect. (hold switch on to give control to student, release switch to gain control back.)

I'm totally lost on all the features of the 9xr pro. Sounds like with a few mods it's probably capable of controlling a mission to mars and back. So I just wanted to confirm before I bought it that it's capable of controlling a 10oz plane with rudder and elevator, and sharing that control with a high strung 8 year old holding my 9x. hehe. Thanks so much for your advice, and links.

Questions:

So that little diode, or resistor I need to solder in the 9x, can I buy it at hobby king? Where do I buy a part like that, and what is it called?

I would like to use the new 9xr pro to fly all the models I've already built. I am using the stock 9x 8 channel receivers, and the 3 and 6 channel hobby king receivers that bind with the 9x too. So when I buy the 9xr pro is this the module I want that will bind with those receivers?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...guration_.html

Cheers
Last edited by Nwtlakes; Jan 03, 2015 at 12:03 AM. Reason: I added more questions....
Old Jan 03, 2015, 01:23 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
4,253 Posts
The mod requires a 1K resistor. Radio Shack/The Source has them.
http://www.radioshack.com/1k-ohm-1-2...sistor&start=1

As to the module you linked, that is a very new product released not to long ago and there seems to be quite a lot of confusion as to what it is actually compatible with. Some of the reports suggest that it's the stock 9x module in a new package that is able to utilize the internal antenna of the 9xr, 9xr pro. I haven't a clue.

I would like to mention one thing about the 9xr pro. The stock firmware is very different from that of the 9x and it will take some research to learn how to navigate through it. For simple 4ch models, the setup is quite easy, but the firmware is capable of much much more and it will take time to learn how it all works to use them. Here is the thread on the 9xr pro, in case you haven,t found it yet.

Turnigy 9XR Pro, new open source radio

KC
Last edited by KC; Jan 03, 2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 03:03 AM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
KC

Thanks for the link and description on the resistor.

Regarding the operating system on the 9xr pro, I imagine I could learn it fairly decently. The only things I really use on the 9x are 4 controls, dual rates and exponential, sometimes elevon mixing or v-tail, and flaperons. All fairly basic. I found the 9x interface fairly simple / poorly implemented. But usable. Wasn't much harder to learn than a bunch of the cell phones I used to have.

As for the new software on 9xr pro, I would hope the above mentioned functions are relatively easy to program. And the complicated stuff I'll leave alone. It will just be nice to have all the added capability of the radio in the future if I need it.

Been reading various reviews and opinions online regarding the 9xr pro. Seems a little more polarized than the opinion of the 9x was. When I was reading about the 9x 2 years ago everyone seemed to love it, and all their mods of it. Now a lot of reviews are comparing the 9xr pro to the taranis and the 9xr pro doesn't seem to be coming out a clear cut winner. However, from what I can glean, it's a huge improvement over the 9x and for 135$ way cheaper than the taranis. ( if that module I listed would work with my receivers).

It actually surprises me how opinionated people are over the supposed differences between the 9x, 9xr, 9xr pro, and taranis. Come on guys, they are all amazing radios for under $200! They all have their strengths and weaknesses! We have so many cool, affordable options available now a days that weren't around when I started rc flying 20 years ago. A computer radio with all kinds of mixes for $50? My dad and I built a two channel glider cause we couldn't afford the $25 each for 2 more ailerons servos. Haha

Times sometimes change for the better I guess.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:48 PM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
Just received my new 9xr pro tonight. Very excited! Feels as good as all the reviews said. Popped in the module I mentioned above and it bound instantly with my 3 channel 9x receiver. So I've got a maiden to do tomorrow with a new plane AND a new transmitter!

Only downside is the left stick in throttle direction falls back from max throttle. Push it to full, it slowly creapy back to center. It will only stay at about 75%. kinda weird no? I am wondering if I have to open it up and check that there aren't some wires catching it inside and causing this. Any thoughts?

I'll also try to set up the buddy box with 9x tonight and see how far I get. I bought the resistor, but haven't soldered it in yet. If it will work with no module in 9x, I could probably pull out module so pins arent touching, but leaving it hanging off with antena still attached to get started on matching them to each other right?

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:01 PM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
102 Posts
That didn't last long. Looks like something is very wrong with my new radio. I got a model setup, dial in some expo, dual rates etc… and was working my way through setting up different features when the screen started malfunctioning.

First, a long press left to the radio setup page rendered the page 1 blank but all other pages readable. So I couldn't make any changes on page one. Then slowly it started to affect all the other pages. So now some pages look decent but most are unreadable. I think a loose wire wrapped around the throttle stick must have been pulled the stick movement and has now screwed things up inside. That's my initial guess… Im just uploading a video to vimeo to post here and see if you guys might be able to help me get this thing working.

9xrpro not working (2 min 7 sec)

Here are some close ups of what it looks like inside. I didn't see anything obvious that looked broken or out of order. Thought I would post these in case any of you have an intimate knowledge of the 9xr pro and can observe anything that looks out of place with my particular model….
Last edited by Nwtlakes; Jan 20, 2015 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added video