Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:07 AM
"Go Fast & Turn Left".......
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Help!
Re: ESM P-51B Mustang - “Bald Eagle”

Re: ESM P-51B Mustang - “Bald Eagle”

Hi Guys,

Can anyone out there tell me what Retracts they are using? I am leaning towards Robart since I don’t see too much else available. (So Robart Info. would be helpful, but I would be interested in any info. I can get.) I am trying to find out which Retract's fit the best.

I am looking at the Robart 550 – (8 to 18lbs.) & the Robart 630 – (12 to 24lbs.) It appears that with either retract the length of the Strut will need to be cut down so it will fit correctly in the wing. What I am also looking for is the length that the strut ends up to be after being cut down, so I can add the wheel diameter so I can get some sort of measurement for the prop clearance. So that brings up the next question is what engine and what prop diameter. Also what is the ground clearance that you ended up under the prop blade?

Specs I’m looking for:

Retract Model –
Strut length –
Engine size –
Prop size –
Prop Clearance –

Thanks a Bunch

Ed
electriceddie is offline Find More Posts by electriceddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
WRONG RETRACTS - ESM P-51 Mustang - Bald Eagle:

Hi Guys,

Well I had not received any feedback or advice here, so I went and bought the Robart 630's. Well they don't fit. The depth of the retract cutout is not deep enough. It seems that they are 1-3/8th" deep and the retract cutout is about 1" to about 1-1/18th inch deep. I thought I measured it and the clearance was tight but it would have just made it. After looking at so many retract systems I guess I mixed up the numbers, who knows. Anyway back to Tower Hobbies they go.

Also note:
They say the 1/2" Robostrut's fit and I could not get them to slide in. The hole was too tight. I did not want to scratch or mar up the retract trying to jam it in since I am returning them. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to go from here I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Ed
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:48 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,276 Posts
FYI<,
The 1/2" struts do fit the 630 trunnions, I have several sets of those.
When new you might have to loosen the jamb screw completely and get a screwdriver in there to flex it open a little.

good luck
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
They Fit .... But They Are To Long... Please any advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only View Post
FYI<,
The 1/2" struts do fit the 630 trunnions, I have several sets of those.
When new you might have to loosen the jamb screw completely and get a screwdriver in there to flex it open a little.

good luck

Hi Scale _Only,

I actually got them to fit last night. The set screws were screwed out but I found that a drop of oil and a lot of twisting force helped finally get the strut into the hole.

The next issue I found is that the strut is too long. I happened to have a set of struts I have never used yet from an 80" P-51 that got scrapped. I thought I could possibly use them; they are 9-5/8th" long. I thought maybe I could shorten them, but that looks to be possibly an issue now to do.

I need to shorten the strut by about 2 inches or get a new strut that's shorter. In regards to shortening, I opened up the strut and I would need to re-solder the cap back on the end so the spring would have something to push up against. Also I would need to calculate how much of the spring would need to be shortened and then cut it down to size and reassemble. I t would just be easier to get a new strut, but so far all of the 1/2" dia. struts are approx. 9-1/8" to 9-5/8" long. In Regards to the 7/16" dia. struts I did find one that was approx. 7" long which would probably be just what I need. I would need the adapters for the diameter from 1/2" to 7/16" and I am not sure if they would be strong enough for a 15 pound plane. Also I don't know about the scale appearance of the smaller diameter, which is OK if it's close enough.

If you have any advice I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Ed
Last edited by electriceddie; Nov 28, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:10 AM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
2,276 Posts
My advise,,, save yourself the headache,, get the right parts
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
My advise,,, save yourself the headache,, get the right parts

Scale

Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds. I have the ESM P-51 Bald Eagle. I have the Robart 630 retracts. Which Robostruts do I use when they are all 9-1/8th" to 9-5/8th" in length and I need the length to be 7 inches. If I am missing something then, what do you recommend then?

Thanks

Ed
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:32 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,627 Posts
Does this help? There are other ways of retaining the spring such as with a roll pin through the strut.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Cutting Down the Robostrut to Shorter Length:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
Does this help? There are other ways of retaining the spring such as with a roll pin through the strut.

Hi Chad,

That's good you gave me an idea. I could cut it down and put a pin thru the strut then that would hold the spring. My only concern is that on the top of the strut they soldered a small disc the diameter of the strut to the top of the Strut, to hold the spring and give the hollow tube some strength, I would imagine. If the tube is left open am I losing a some of strength or should it be OK? Maybe I could plug the top inch with a hardwood dowel instead?

Thank

Ed
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:49 PM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceddie View Post
Scale

Unfortunately that is not as easy as it sounds. I have the ESM P-51 Bald Eagle. I have the Robart 630 retracts. Which Robostruts do I use when they are all 9-1/8th" to 9-5/8th" in length and I need the length to be 7 inches. If I am missing something then, what do you recommend then?

Thanks

Ed
like Chad posted,, there is much online info on how to cut down struts,,

But you said the 630s didn't fit in the wing? Now they do? what am I missing?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 02:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Here are Some Pics to explain Better:

Quote:
like Chad posted,, there is much online info on how to cut down struts,,

But you said the 630s didn't fit in the wing? Now they do? what am I missing?

Hi Scale,

After a few hours of work, I ground down part of the rib and if I shim up under the retract mounting flanges I can get the retract in. However the retract is now flush with the bottom of the wing. I am not crazy about how it looks and I hope the mounting blocks are strong enough underneath it all. Also the length of the strut that is needed to fit is shorter then the standard 9-5/8th" strut I have from Robart. They make a 7/16" diameter strut which it looks as if up to 3 inches can be cut off of it. I also included a PDF of the Strut for your consideration. So I could cut down the 1/2" strut I have or go with th 7/16" strut and cut that down. The only reason why I bring up the 7/16" strut is because it's the only strut in the Robart catalog that says it can be cut down. You can read this on the top left of the PDF file. Of course it's another $125.00 for the struts and the 7/16" sleeve adapters but if cutting that on is OK and the 1/2" is a problem then I would be better off with the 7/16" strut. This was my thinking behind it. Maybe I am wrong and should just cut down the 1/2". I can't believe that the wheel well opening is not bigger then it is and can not accept the 9-5/8" Robostrut to begin with. It makes me wonder what the height of the stance is going to end up with while swinging an 18", 19" or 20 " prop. I hope there's enough prop clearance.

Here I included some Pics for you to see.

Thanks
Ed
Last edited by electriceddie; Nov 28, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:21 AM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
2,276 Posts
They certainly don't look like they fit correctly, the forward screws have nothing to screw into??

I'd bite the bullet on the shipping costs and exchange them for the correct parts.

good luck
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2013
79 Posts
Quote:
They certainly don't look like they fit correctly, the forward screws have nothing to screw into??

I'd bite the bullet on the shipping costs and exchange them for the correct parts.

good luck

First Off, I need to install a 5/8" X 2-3/4" X 3/16"pylwood plate under each retract flange. There are no retracts that will fit in there that will line up without reinforcing the mount that I could find from Robart. The Pic was just to give you an Idea the way the length of the retract looks and how it needs to be shortened, not the offset of the mounting hole. I can not recall ever having a perfect fit in any plane without some kind of beefing up or modification with any Robart or Spring Air system.

If you know what the right gear is, then by all means let me know. I have spent ours on this and I can not find anything other then ESM saying how "Great their Electric Retracts" are. I don't want electric retracts.

Thanks
Ed
Last edited by electriceddie; Nov 29, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:48 AM
# Scale is a way of life
Joined Apr 2010
2,276 Posts
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...888efdcd1bf902

https://www.centuryjet.com/product_i...oducts_id/1082
Last edited by scale_only; Nov 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:58 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
966 Posts
Would these work for you?
Just the struts
I got them for my TF G P-51 but they are to small
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart