SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2007, 03:07 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Apr 2004
482 Posts
Discussion
Which T-rex 600 should i get?

Hi,

I am looking at getting a T-rex 600 electric end of his month.
I would like to know, what should i get so that i do not need to upgrade parts afterwards.

1. Carbon fibre or aluminium T-rex, i assume carbon fiber version is better?

2. Is the kit motor/speedcontroller/bec, rx battery reliable enough?

3. I want to go with a Futaba GY401 gyro, is that fine?

4 Carbon or wooden blades?

5. What is a good battery for the T-rex flightpower 6s 3-5000 mah? What is the perfect "weight to endurance" battery.

6 I see there are to kits available, the standard kit and the pro kit, what's the difference?

Upgrading from my 450 to a 600 will be just what i want to do.

Thanks

Pete
pete2194 is offline Find More Posts by pete2194
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2007, 03:46 AM
electric head
Randburg
Joined Jul 2005
587 Posts
Pete,

1. Not much of a difference between the kits, it cheaper to purchase carbon as a kit than to upgrade later.

2. The stock ESC and motor are fine, the upgraded XL motor has quite a lot more grunt but will reduce your flying time.

3. Nothing wrong with a 401, except that to my knowledge it doesn't support the 333fps (somebody correct me) needed to get best performance from a descent tail servo like a JR8900G. Consider a GY611 or a CSM 630. If it was my money I would go with the 630.

4. Carbons, you can pick up cheapie GCT's for R600 that will work fine.

5. Flight power 6s 5000mAh is the king of Trex 600 packs but is the most expensive. The apache and align packs available locally cost half the price. For the stock setup you needs a 6 pack between 4400 and 5000mah rated at 20C, you can expect 8 to 10 min flying times on a 5000 mah pack. More powerful set-ups will reduce your flying time. Personally I fly FP packs.

6. The standard and pro kits refer to the trex nitro. The pro include the torque tube upgrade.

Want to see some Trex 600's in action, visit NERF on a Saturday afternoon.

Regards,
Brett
khaoz is offline Find More Posts by khaoz
Last edited by khaoz; Sep 15, 2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:47 AM
Johannesburg
Joined Apr 2004
482 Posts
Brett thanks for the throrough reply, i am thinking about a GY611. a CSM 630 i have not seen, obviously that must be a step up from the 611.

Difference in price from the 401 to a 611 to CSM 630, i think they might get pretty steep?

Madmodels is offering a T-rex 600 carbon fiber for R5500 and a ally version for R 4465, i've heard about a new shop in Northcliff area called G3 models, maybe i should give them a try. Then there's aerial concepts. Do you have any suggestions?

The madmodels kit includes only the motor/speedcontroller/bec/rx battery/wooden blades.

The JR servo your'e talking about sounds good, is digital servos neccesary on this heli? That though will push up the price even further, some tough decisions for me to make here Maybe i should make this a long term project.

Thanks

Pete
Last edited by pete2194; Sep 15, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
electric head
Randburg
Joined Jul 2005
587 Posts
Hi Pete,

The CSM 630 should be priced between the other two. It has specific software optimizing it for electric helicopters. I'm guessing that it is in the R800 - 900 range , AC are suppliers.

Before you purchase a heli I would check to see how well your supplier supports the heli. Do they carry a full range of spares? Will they help you set it up and learn how to fly (if required) as part of the purchase price? For that reason I purchase all my align gear from Aerial concepts (they're an official agent) and battery packs from Mad Models. I haven't had any dealing with G3.

You can get away with analogues on the cyclic but there are budget digital servos available these days which will help you minimize problems with CCPM interactions for not much more money.

In my opinion you should not skimp on your tail servo / gyro combo. This WILL save you money in the long run.

Those prices seem in line with what you should expect. Both of the standard kits include the heli, esc, motor and receiver battery. If budget is a constraint then go for the ali frame kit. Carbon is mostly desirable for bling factor.

In addition you will need:

3 x cyclic servos (Analogue or Digital)
1 x Tail servo (Good digital servo here: JR 8900G rocks)
1 x HH Gyro. ( GY401 or CSM630)
1 x receiver.
1 x blades, I would not put woodies on a Trex 600 this is a really powefull helicopter. carbon or even glass rather.
- x flights packs, two sets are nice if you can afford them. That way you can fly while you are recharging.

I know that the costs add up but you will LOVE your Trex 600 if you buy right.

Best of luck,
Brett
khaoz is offline Find More Posts by khaoz
Last edited by khaoz; Sep 15, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
Johannesburg
Joined Apr 2004
482 Posts
I just know i will not be disappointed in a bigger electric heli, thanks Brett.

From building and flying my t-rex 450, i realized that digital servos is a must for that precision you don't get with analogue, i have analogue's on that heli. Cheaper digitals, that sounds good, i think i might look/shop around for those. R8-900 for the Gyro sounds good, hope aerial concepts have them in stock, I'll go with the carbon frame, if i have to save a month,two or three i'll do so, to get the right setup, i'm going to go with the tail servo you suggested thanks.

Only one other thing now, this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...18#post8181331

I might go with an Raptor 60, e conversion, much more expensive at the end of the day, though if i make this more of a long term project i can buy bits and pieces over time and put a 60 sized E-machine together.

Thanks

Pete