HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:58 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Photos from 75" Depron UAV "floater" Av-Ap setup

Even though it was late in the day, flat light and I had my resolution set wrong (at the low end) I still got reasonable/so-so photos on my new set-up.

Let me tell you - using video to SEE what you are ACTAULLY photographing is AWESOME! Also a forward facing camea is the way to go! I have wanted to do for that for a long time!

With both the video system and digital camera the paylode exceeds 19 ounces and so my climb rate was a bit so-so, but managable. I still cannot believe how docile this platform is... as far as A/V-A/P I'm in love with this platform! I may go slightly larger on the motor though...

I am using the 1000mw Black Widow system on the video and I still have bugs to work out on that... I'm getting too much RF interference for a rural area so I must have something going on with my set-up... but still fun!

I'll post more photos a I get anything interesting!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:36 AM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Congrats Cactus, you got realy clear pictures from your new AP platform. Was the motor running when you took them ?
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Dec 22, 2004, 01:47 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Yes...

The motor was running. I can cruise around at about 30% throttle and still gain a little altitude, provided there are no big sink holes around. I can say for sure when I get this thing out when the thermals are popping I'll be able to stay up for a LONG while!

CJS
Old Dec 22, 2004, 08:41 AM
Joined Dec 2004
28 Posts
Amazing shots.

Will you be posting video?

if you are worried about size I can compress it for you using sorenson squeeze and give it back to you to show the world.

Fantastic stuff. Exactly what I had in mind with me AP glider. Congrats on being the Pioneer

chao
GearHead_rc is offline Find More Posts by GearHead_rc
Old Dec 23, 2004, 08:12 AM
Teesside Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
149 Posts
Can i see the plane, is it a home design job?
doctor_prox is offline Find More Posts by doctor_prox
Old Dec 23, 2004, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Depron UAV "floater" Av-Ap setup

CactusJackSlade,

The still are really nice. I may have missed it, but what camera are you flying to get the stills? I like them. Is the video camera the black tube in some of the pics?

Thanks,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Dec 24, 2004, 02:39 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Home made job...

Doctor_prox,

Yes I designed this from scratch, here are the other threads I posted:

Construction:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310930

Maiden flight:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311461

Rogerdoger,

Yes, the "tube" in the upper portion is the video camera, the stick off to the side it the Tx antenna... I'm just now playing with the layout. For "fun shots" I sometimes like a little something in the photo so you can get a feel of being in the plane, but for shots I want to make nice I will be re-arranging things a bit.

Oh, I'm currently using my Olympus D-40 for my still photos... a bit heavy (10 oz!), but good quality.

It's been only 5-10 degrees in the daytime (it's minus 2 right now!) the last 2 days so I have been unable (or willing!) to do any A/P!

Here are a couple more shots from late summer with the same camera...

CJS
Old Dec 24, 2004, 01:52 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Av-Ap Setup

CJS,

That is a nice camera. The weight is up there though.

I like the bottom shot. Where do you live? Any fishing in those ponds or tanks?

Roger
Old Dec 25, 2004, 03:23 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Fish,

Probably but have not tried since I was a kid. Hey, maybe I should get floats for my Slow Stick and do some trolling??!
Old Dec 26, 2004, 08:09 PM
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Some Trolling

CJS,

I think that would be interesting to do. I have thought of scouting fish from the air, but large birds tend to put the fish down for a long time. If you trolled with a long line, you might pick you some bass.

I have a GWS Beaver that will be set up with floats and a camera for fishing trips. I will want to have something to do during the noon time and can look for structure at the same time.

Roger