HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:29 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
Help!
How Do I Repair This Air Cobra

This has been hanging in my garage for several years now waiting to be repaired. It is to big for my regular vacuum bag and I do not think C clamps will work.
Dan Sampson was kind enough to mold me a new nose so that can be spliced onto the fuse.

A little history: This plane was beautifully built by Brian McLean for owner #1. I bought it at the 2008 Soar Utah slope fest. It is a great flying medium weight slope machine, so it is worth fixing.

maybe I have to cut the will free of the fuse for repair? Hate to ruin those beautiful fillets

What can be done
TomFlyer is online now Find More Posts by TomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:30 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
post a photo thats what can be done first
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
post a photo thats what can be done first
here ya go
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:11 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Don't remove the wing. Glue it all back together on a flat surface. Once that's done, route 2 or 3 slots into the bottom of the wing across the break. Make sure they go right up to the to skin. Now drop in some basswood spars. Sand the basswood flush with the bottom skin. Once that's done apply some glass over the break.

Cut the fuse off in a straight line, and cut that nose area to match. Then glass them together. USE LOTS OF GLASS! inside and outside,

That's actually a fairly easy fix.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Tom the first thing I'd do it get the wing stable as inject laminating epoxy in every where and block it down , once its cured you could then go about cutting in some false spars across the broken wing then fill sand paint the rest is easy for a man with your skill
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
ohhhhh see great mind s think alike lol good onya Brian
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
Brian: I like that as I am not messing with the top side of the wing or the wing to fuse fillet. There is not spar now or if there is, it is broken, so that is really needed.

Thanks for the ideas and direction to go.

Tom F.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:19 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
I am getting some consensus. That is great!
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
I have MGS epoxy, so it will go into all the cracks.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:36 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,060 Posts
Tom, I actually have the same fuse repair I need to do to a crashed TFLG built Vortech FW-190 I picked up at Soar Utah back in 2008. I ordered the front fuse section from Jeff but have never got started on the repair.

Brian, do you have additional hints or suggestions on how you would join the new section? What weight glass do you like to use and how many wraps? Do you tend to get a fairly smooth joint with some filler?
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:02 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
Vic: I have a friend with a band saw so we could get a straight cut across the entire fuse nose. I was thinking on the fuse outside to use a 4 inch wide strip of 2 oz. glass followed by a 2 inch strip followed by a 1" wide strip all 3 centered on the joint. This will give a taper to the out side patch. Inside, 2" wide 6 oz. and then a 1" wide 6 oz. I have S glass I can give you for your repair.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:13 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Inside the fuse I would probably use at least 3 layers of 6oz cloth. On the outside one or two which would be sanded and feathered into the fuse.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 05, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
I thought that I had a friend that had a band saw. Turns out that he only has a portable band saw. I have a table saw, put not the right blade and not big enough to cut the fuse in one pass. So I think I will put masking tape on the fuse and draw the cut line around the perimeter and then use my hacksaw. To square things up use my disk sander or a full sheet of sand paper on a board. So by cutting 1/8" long I will be able to sand back to where there should be a nice fit for the new nose cone.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 12:43 PM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
659 Posts
Why not use a partial vacuum?
Bernd Brunner is online now Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner View Post
Why not use a partial vacuum?
I have thought of trying to use a vacuum bag on the wing up to the fuse and sealing off the bag with the vacuum bag tape that is sort of like a strip of clay that seals the bag to the surface. BUT there will be air coming into the wing though the wire hole and the brakes in the wing that are under the fuse but out of the bag.

So how would I do a "partial vacuum"?