SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Several years ago our club winches were getting long in the tooth and we decided to have a club project to refurb the winches. I designed a new frame and we had a club build day at one of the members auto shop. There we cut the iron, welded and drilled everything and cleaned and sanded the new frames. We then sent them out to be powder coated. They came out very nice and it was a good club project.

I am attaching a zip of the article and some pictures. I prolly have the plans around somewhere if anyone is interested...
Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
Jim, that is fantastic! thanks for sharing. Could you talk about the geometry of the belt brake? I noticed the arm rests at a little higher angle than a lot of winches. Also, what kind of belt is it and where or how did you manufacturer the ends where the belt secures to the arm and the opposite end. thanks

Randy
burke757 is offline Find More Posts by burke757
Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Those were fresh off the assembly line and not adjusted so the belt is holding the arm a lot higher than normal - good eye..

All of the parts were fabricated with common hand tools except one. The vertical plate that we bolt the motor to has a U shape cut into it. That plate is too thick for normal tools so we had them made at a local machine shop. All the metal parts were cut with circular saws with a metal cutting blade. One of the club members had a welder so he welded everything together.

The belt attachment was easy. On the back side an L shaped piece was welded to the vertical plate and the end of the belt was simply drilled and a screw put thru it to attach to the L shaped bracket. On the arm a simple aluminum rod was cut the right length. We drilled a hole cross section that the belt can fit thru. We then drilled and tapped a cross hole into the hole for the belt. We put a set screw in that hole and tightened it to hold and adjust the belt. The rod was attached to the arm simply by drilling and tapping a hole for a bolt. The bolt then went thru the arm into the end of the rod and was tightened.

Jim
jimsoars is offline Find More Posts by jimsoars
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Thanks for that, Jim... I'm building the rest of my winch (brake arm is all that's left) this weekend... and that's the info I needed to finish. Great description, by the way...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
I tried to build a wood winch but the spool came apart on me a few times so I went with the Comet kit.

Alan
I'm sure wood is fine if you design it right! End plates probably need to be at LEAST 3 times as thick as aluminum. Might make sense to put in a lot of taper, and glass over, heavily, to make up for the grain direction.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member