HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined May 2011
72 Posts
That is good info, I will try that. Thanks.
Krzysiek is offline Find More Posts by Krzysiek
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
I also made sure that the magnetometer was placed up high away from all electromagnetic interference. Sometimes the motors and wiring can cause the magnetic field to deviate slightly when the wires have current running through them. You can check for this error by observing the OSD. Observe the heading on the OSD with the motors off. Then observe it while the motors are running. If it changes heading when you activate the motors you have an EMI problem. All multirotors can potentially have this EMI interference with the magnetometer. Magnetometer deviation and poor alignment will lead to the toilet bowl effect or worse.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:55 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
The EMI problem can be countered by having a small Grounded Faraday shield under the area your trying to protect.
vector57 is offline Find More Posts by vector57
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
616 Posts
Carbon fiber/birch core sheet http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=3# will also shield the mag from emf and is a bit lighter than copper sheet. Cuts with heavy duty shears. I use it along with plastic fasteners and can mount the mag directly to the top plate with no extension.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Mar 2005
10 Posts
Would something like this solve or deminish EMI problem?
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1-...2-p-49790.html
panin is offline Find More Posts by panin
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panin View Post
Would something like this solve or deminish EMI problem?
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1-...2-p-49790.html
Yes it would as long as it's grounded. But I was thinking. It might be a little tough to ground, but Aluminum tape might also work. The tape I'm talking about is what AC people join hard ac ducts with.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2005
10 Posts
Ground it how? By soldering one of the black wires from the pow distr board to it?
panin is offline Find More Posts by panin
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
Joined Jun 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panin View Post
Ground it how? By soldering one of the black wires from the pow distr board to it?
I don't know how you would ground anything Aluminum, but ground it to the Battery ground.

As for carbon fiber, I know Carbon is conductive, but I didn't know carbon fiber sheet was a barrier to EMF.

If carbon fiber will block a magnetic field, then it might work. The best thing I have found is the fine mesh copper screen, and you can solder that. But whatever you use, needs to be grounded to the battery ground.