HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2003, 10:57 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
Mommy.. is there something wrong with me ?

Is it just me or does everyone here go through a gazillion covering scheme's before they settle on something they are happy with ? (TFLG you're excused from answering this cause you're too good)

I have only ever built 1 plane that i was happy with the original covering colour scheme that i did...

I should have shares in Solar-whatever-the-tekky stuff : (

Latest scheme for my "Scalpel" scratch build.. in keeping with the name, i changed it from wot looked like a whale snotted on it, to a clean and clinical colour scheme.. much better and saves people asking me "Hey mate... what is it?"

The "80" is for you US people who can only talk inches ; )

...so.... am i the only one who does this ???

ps.. for those that contributed to a previous thread about this plane wanting to nose dive, i ended up messing around with the CoG as well as aileron settings and she fly much better now, turns like it has been shot from a canon... awsome.. thanks all.

Regs,
Beefa.
beefa is offline Find More Posts by beefa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:06 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
That looks cool! Very nice

Like you, I go through a lot of schemes - however, I haven't changed the schemes on a plane yet - I can't afford to!

I draw up a line version of the plane in my favourite graphics program, and do my scheme there first. Then I print it out and stick it on the garage wall while I build. If I find myself hating it, I change it! I'm about to start playing with my next scheme.... Although the plans for my F86 arrived today, and all I want to build is that!!!!!

M
Mafu is offline Find More Posts by Mafu
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:24 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
hmmmm sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.... the F86 is this one right ??

That would make a damn fine sloper !!!

Ben
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:29 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Yes - thats the one!

Although I'll do the Australian version (the CA-27).

And I don't have to decide on a scheme - thats it for sure!

M
Last edited by Mafu; Dec 01, 2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Lately my schemes are all about maximum visibility in all conditions while trying to maintain some artistry.

White on top has greatest visibility against ground when glider is below eye level. I've landed the 48" Moth 900 feet below and a total of 2600 feet away as the crow flies, about 4 times now.
Black on bottom has greatest visibility at speck altitudes against blue sky or white clouds. I've specked out virtually every glider I have. The only one I've ever lost, was the one which had the least amount of black on the bottom of the wing (XP-3 DLG.. ouch)
Black trim on top is visible at high bank angles when the white fades against the hazy horizion or when flying over snow. Same with black trim on the tail surfaces.
Flourescent red trim on top, bottom and tail shows up best when the sun is very low, or completely down. It's the only thing that shows up at all when it's actually snowing.
The red is often also the only thing visible when the glider ends up down in the grass/bushes/trees somewhere.

As for the actual patterns, I usually sketch out the pattern in pencil, then like Mafu I put it into my favorite paint program and try a whole bunch of different variations, until I find something I like. To save some money on covering material, I then I'll hand draw it on card stock or construction paper, cut it out, flip it over to make a mirror image, and lay it out and tape it on on the wing to get an idea of what it'll look like. Trim, and then use those as a template to draw on and ultimately cut the covering material.
I use Monokote trim solvent to clean the wing and activate the glue, which helps prevent my thin curved patterns for getting all warped and askew if I had just tried to iron them down.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:44 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
ooohhh very nice... and much better keeping it aussie : )
Does the kit include the missiles ?
Good for shooting down those pest zagi's
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:53 PM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Daemon - thats some good colour scheme advice.... I'm just working out what my M60 will have! I like your scheme.... Might have to think of a variant....

Beefa - no kit - just the plan! I'll have to build this one from scratch :-) Lots of fun - but 4th - no 5th in the que - have to finish the Plouf, the ridgerunner, the 60"raider and the M60 first!

I was looking for a project for next winter - and found the F86 - I really like jets, and its cool its one of the first swept wings. I still wasn't sure, but then found Australia used and made them under license, and that was it - my first PSS decided on :-)

M
Old Dec 02, 2003, 02:55 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Beefa, that scheme looks a million dollars on the other one, no offense intended but it did look like itd come through a paint ball attack or similar.

Mafu, thatll be one sweeet PSS, like you, I love the fact that Aussies flew them, a big decider for me IF I was going to build a true PSS plane.
As far as colour schemes go, as long as its easy Ill do it. Id love to paint the tips of my First Plus, but Im not convinced of my spray can use skills to do what I want, neatly and professional looking. (yet) And as far as using a graphics program to trial schemes, well Im usless at them, so I gotta just imagine it then do it.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Dec 02, 2003, 03:52 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
lol thanks mate, no offense taken... it was actually supposed to look like you said, so i suppose thats a plus..

As for painting the tips... just tape newspaper over the rest of the wing, make sure you line the tape up where you want the edge (top and bottom) and spray away, not too close.. nice even strokes... try it a test on something that wont mind... scrap balsa, ironing board, neighbours dog ; )

Regs,
Ben
Old Dec 02, 2003, 04:17 AM
Do anything for a Mach 1
Haiku, Hawaii
Joined Mar 2003
1,289 Posts
Mafu

If you don't feel like scratch building, check out this F-86 from MMGlider Tech. My buddy had one that was pretty old and beat-up by the time I flew it. But it was a great flyer, fantastic in good lift. They even have the opponent the MIG 15.
jonoknight is offline Find More Posts by jonoknight
Old Dec 02, 2003, 05:45 AM
Gravity always wins!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
681 Posts
Jono,

Yeah - I saw that one - but I'm specifically after a scratch build project :-) Theres something cool about building stuff.

M
Old Dec 02, 2003, 06:54 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
Quote:
Theres something cool about building stuff
As long as you don't neglect your family Mafu

Hey beefa, that plane is looking better and better each time I see it.

"whale snot" LOL. It wasn't that bad!!

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Dec 02, 2003, 07:16 AM
Do anything for a Mach 1
Haiku, Hawaii
Joined Mar 2003
1,289 Posts
Sounds like a good challenge. You're way braver than I. Let us know how you get on.
jonoknight is offline Find More Posts by jonoknight
Old Dec 02, 2003, 03:09 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Oct 2002
313 Posts
That MMGlidertech F-86 looks kinda nice. !!
I like the F-80 with the "droppable" wing tanks... that just gets the mind going.. : )
Old Dec 02, 2003, 04:04 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,035 Posts
Here's another kit from Magnum Models: http://www.magnum-models.com/index.html that looks pretty good.
Droydx
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos