HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
JR, I think you can use any switch setting you want, but the elevator compensation should be entered in negative numbers. as in -10% or -15%
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
JR, I think you can use any switch setting you want, but the elevator compensation should be entered in negative numbers. as in -10% or -15%
Shouldn't the elevator go down with flaps? Mine was going up with negative compensation.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Yes, the elevator should go down with flaps. That's really odd.
The point is the switch setting makes no difference.
Try using positive numbers if negative doesn't work.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:26 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
I did see your pics Easter of the 6-pin connector, I'll have to take a look at it again.

& I thought you had servo covers on her since back in the day after those morgan mill covers were posted up here? I believe it was Sonny who posted that link? Didn't know 'til your vid where your landing in the brush broke your AIL servo arm as well as your vid showing your LED's. You plan on any covers?

Just curious 'cause you & a few other pilots here are McGiver'ish when it comes to making stuff for your planes & I'm always looking forward to checking out the ideas posted here! I'm not sure if there is a big enough plastic spoon for the RP servo covers...... (Easter put serov covers on his Eflite UMX AS3X micro MiG 15 EDF, made from 2 plastic spoons! It came out really nice and aerodynamic on the MiG)
Nope , i never did get servo covers for her. haha hmm Big spoons lol
there working great one the Mig!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Now that I have the flap elevator compensation correct, I set up crow tonight. I noticed that with Mix1 I could also get reflex on just ailerons if I set rate D to +32 on the Flap switch. Any idea if this is a good idea or will work?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:54 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Now that I have the flap elevator compensation correct, I set up crow tonight. I noticed that with Mix1 I could also get reflex on just ailerons if I set rate D to +32 on the Flap switch. Any idea if this is a good idea or will work?
Sorry if i missed it, but which radio you using? I used to do that when i used my DX6i.

If you make that integer a -32 your Ail's well(should) go down for camber Also! On that Mix1 page,at the bottom left you'll see a SW this is where you can asign any of the switchs to that paticular mix. If you are using a DX6i!!?

I used to have my Elev D/r switch selected, seeing its next to the flap i could just hit the elev d/r switch for simi camber(just ail down) or simi relfex(just the AIL up) But if i wanted crow, set it to AIL up and flip both switchs at the same time.
Less is more!! the thickness of the trailing edge down/up is a good stating point for camber/reflex.

Also on the D.R combi page i set my high and low rates to the AIl D/R switch so all main switches were on the front of the TX

I like it so much i assigned it the same way on my 7s.

It is effective, remember less is more. My last few flights I've been really working refining the camber and relfex! Reflex makes her want to lose Alt so i mixed in 15% up Elev, which was way to much. So i toned it down to 10%.
Was getting to dark to see her so ill test it today!

2 weeks vacation starts now
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:02 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
LOL, I did fail to mention to "take it off the heat"!! Although the wings on my micro Stryker came out PERFECT (they got bent from the shipping from the Classifieds section here) since I didn't remove the boilong pot of water from the heat the flame warped BOTH rudders & vertical fins into a candy cane shape

So I now had to do use the steam method to get both RUDD & vertical fin straight. It worked!!
When i fixed the my freinds IconA5.(he reglued the tail back on with White GG but didn't make sure the tail was true.so it had a big left warp. ended up getting the Alligator effect on the strn of the haul .

I think with the bigger planes, the parts over the edges of the pot, which is all heat from the burner.I think that what i over looked as it was the first time doing it
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Sorry if i missed it, but which radio you using? I used to do that when i used my DX6i
I do have the DX6i. Thanks for the tips, I will play with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Spoiler-cam video

Over the past few days, there has been a lot of talk on the Radian thread about cameras and videos. I haven't done any of that since winter, so yesterday I attached the camera to the RP and did a short summer video. The camera is heavy and big, so the plane is slow to go up and quick to come down. It took almost 2 minutes to drag it up there, but I chopped that part off.

Smithers - view from radio-controlled airplane (2 min 13 sec)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:07 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
Finished my tail mods (hinges for elevator and rudder, plus carbon strengthens, and the declanage change to +3degrees). I didn't add any weight to the tail since I guess my mods added enough weight (with a 1800mah batt it was like 43oz airplane/2200mah 46oz) and it seemed to balance:
For my first flight I used a 3s 2200mah batt crammed in, which gave a cg at like 3 1/2", but once airborne I needed massive down trim to control. I readjust the center position of the tail and took her back up.

On the second flight I moved the cg forward by sliding the battery forward, and the third flight more forward still. The plane flew very flat and controllable, but doing the dive test in all configurations, the plane would diverge rapidly and increase airspeed (a bit unnerving).

In a normal plane, this would signal too tail heavy but with the declanage at +3, are the result backwards from normal (meaning I am actually too nose heavy)? I can't see with a 2200mah batt slide forward the plane would still be tail heavy but I am not sure.

Any thoughts?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:30 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2004
58 Posts
I just picked up a used BNF RP last friday and I'm loving it.

I've probably flown it 15-20 times so far and it's easily achieved 1 hour flights on the stock battery. I haven't found too many things in this hobby that are as rewarding as specking out a glider...
KLRico is offline Find More Posts by KLRico
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Over the past few days, there has been a lot of talk on the Radian thread about cameras and videos. I haven't done any of that since winter, so yesterday I attached the camera to the RP and did a short summer video. The camera is heavy and big, so the plane is slow to go up and quick to come down. It took almost 2 minutes to drag it up there, but I chopped that part off.

http://youtu.be/xv6q9zkvSVY
cool view, what cam you use again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
cool view, what cam you use again?
It's an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. It's supposed to be able to take a drop from 1.5m onto a hard surface, and waterproof to 5 meters. Here is a picture with an average sized banana for scale. The camera weighs 180 grams with 2 AA batteries, which is only 10 grams less than the banana. It's just a typical pocket sized still camera that I use for everyday photography.

With the extra weight and drag, it takes 15 grams of weight on the tail and a bunch of elevator up-trim to get the plane to fly hands free. Needless to say, it doesn't take long to come down from a specked out height.
Last edited by Jovanx; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:18 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,776 Posts
Nice video with that camera!! At a 180grams I bet it took a bit to get her up to altitude!! Your flying site looks nice with & without snow on the ground!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Nice video with that camera!! At a 180grams I bet it took a bit to get her up to altitude!! Your flying site looks nice with & without snow on the ground!!
Yes it takes about 2 minutes to get up to a decent height and if I try to go too steep it quickly falls out of the climb. As far as the gliding goes, I think the drag is killing it more than the weight. If I put 200 grams of ballast into the wing tube for wind, it goes up a little better and comes down a lot better (flatter glide angle).