HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Contest
End Of Season ESL Contest Report

I left Thursday afternoon after work, and drove to Chambersburg to get some rest before going to the field on Friday.

I arrived just after 11:00 am., and was surprised the gate wasn't opened yet.....so I walked inside, and threw my Falken up for a few flights before re-charging the battery.
As I was re-charging the battery, Curtis (from the Pegasus Club), showed up, let me in, and flew his helis for a while.

After a while, It became clear that the weather might not hold out all weekend, so all the pilots there (after much discussion), decided to start the contest a day earlier.

Five rounds were flown:
1. 5,2s
2. 1,2,3,4
3. 3-3s
4. Poker
5. Last 2 flights

Since the pilot list was low, it was further decided (after much more discussion), that each pilot would fly and time for themselves.
This was to ensure that a full contest would be held before the rain started falling.

It's hard to watch other pilots when you're flying....so I will just comment on my own flights:

Round 1. 5,2s.
I managed only 1:18 for three flights, and a 1:28 and a 1:30 for the other 2.....Still, after normalization, I won the round with a thousand.

Round 2. 1,2,3,4
I managed a 2:02 on flight one, then a :58, a 1:31, a :39, and a 2:58.....Not great, but still, I managed to win the round and the 1000 points that went with it.

Round 3. 3,3s.
With my best three scores being a 1:42, a 1:30, and a 1:29, I was a bit worried that this might be my throw out round.....but hey!, I still managed to best everyone else there, and got another thousand.

Rouind 4. Poker
I decided to be cautious, and nominated 1:20 for my first flight, which I made easily. Then I nominated 1:30 for the rest of the round, and scored two of them.....Being cautious paid off, as I easily won that round and anolther 1000 points.

Round 5. Last 2 Flights
By now, I had figured out the Pegasus field.....From the pavillion looking straight out....the line of trees out there, produced lots of lift that took me back toward the quarry. (The line of trees in back also produced lots of lift, but I was interested in a bit more of a challenge that particular day.)

I made 3:45 on my first throw, and a 2:38 on my second.....I was sure that I had won that round.
I had, and after droping a 1000, I ended up with a perfect score of 4000 for the day!

Not bad.

Flying was finished by 4:00 pm. It was a good thing, because it started raining just after that.

I packed up and went back to my Hotel for a good nights sleep, and to get ready for another contest day on Saturday.

End of Friday.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:39 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Saturday arrived, and hey, it was a bit rainy.

I arrived at the field at 8:30 am. and was surprised to find the gate locked again!
Where was everybody?
Hmmm....I'm usually a little late, but this....this was not looking good.

You guessed it!...I was starting to catch on.

A quick call to a very patient Phil Barnes (The only ESL CD I had on my Phone), confirmed my worst fears......The contest was called before I got the memo.

I salvaged the day by heading South....away from the rain.
I ended up in Front Royal before I saw bird sign, and threw my Falken up near the Apple House in Linden.

After that I, yada yada yada...Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Park, yada yada yada...Luray Caverns......yada yada yada.....drove home.

End of Saturday.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:45 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
All in all, I had a great time, and the Pegasus field is one heck of a nice flying site.....I'm glad I managed to stay away from the corn fields.

Curtis (the only menber I met there), was very cool, and gave me a nice lesson on negative pitch and looping a helicopter.

There was even a spectator on Friday (someone in a silver station wagon),that decided to watch for a while, but never got out of their car.

As I've always said before, It's all about the journey, not the result.

This weekend, I had quite the journey.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:10 AM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
700 Posts
Well now I AM sorry I didn't come down. I would have finished second! Ken, you have got a great attitude. Looking forward to seeing you next season.

Take it easy,

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:17 AM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Kenny, I didn't get your phone #, or I would have called. I assumed it was going to be a long haul for you and that you were already on the road. Sorry I didn't warn you. Sounds like you made the best of your trip. I look forward to next season, but from what I hear your moving up in the world. Guess I will have to find a new person to set my sights on.

Take care, Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Ken, nobody can ever say you don't make lemonaide out of lemons.... You the man! Nice write up, thanks for sharing, and good flying!

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Ken,

Too bad you didn't call me or send an e-mail. I arrived Thursday night in Hagerstown. I woke up around 2am and could not go back to sleep, so I turned on the computer.

I happened into the DLG forums only to read that the contest had been cancelled Thursday Night. If I had known you were at the field I would have joined you. Friday was not too bad, as I recall. At least I recall hitting very little rain on the way home. I left around Noon.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Thanks Eric, Brian, Ryan, and Ed!....believe it or not, it was a hoot.

We all really need to keep a few phone numbers on hand.....my bad.

And yes, Friday looked pretty good, considering the outlook.....I thought there might just be a chance of holding the contest as scheduled (that's why there was SO much heated discussion regarding moving the contest up a day).
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:15 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Also, On my way back through Hagerstown on Saturday afternoon, it was still raining.

It dried up as soon as I hit Conn. and Mass., but it started getting bad early this morning.

Now it is snowing.....just look at the Patriots game!

Looks like the proper call was made regarding the cancellation....still, I had to be there to protect my lead....just in case.

One of my winning techniques:

SHOW UP!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2003
399 Posts
Kenny
Great write up on contest. Congratulations on your win!

Sorry for all you guys that the weather was bad for the other days.
Todd
ifome is online now Find More Posts by ifome
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:06 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifome
Kenny
Great write up on contest. Congratulations on your win!

Sorry for all you guys that the weather was bad for the other days.
Todd
Well, If Ed were there (or anybody else for that matter), then there would have been two of us competing. ....But hey, at least I got to know the field a little bit.
A few times, it was totally silent, and all I could hear was the rustle of corn stalks as he wind moved by.
Another time, a small flock of birds tried to scare my Falken away while flying over the cut stalks....they very quickly gave up and moved on.

I know, like you, I feel bad for everyone across the board, who missed out on plans for this weekend.....Over the radio, I heard of lots and lots of cancellations.

In a way, it was bittersweet for me.
The overall scores for the year will stand as is, without the need to defend my position.
I came prepared for battle, but left with an olive branch....It could have been much worse for me.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 01:01 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Ken,

Too bad you didn't call me or send an e-mail. I arrived Thursday night in Hagerstown. I woke up around 2am and could not go back to sleep, so I turned on the computer.

I happened into the DLG forums only to read that the contest had been cancelled Thursday Night. If I had known you were at the field I would have joined you. Friday was not too bad, as I recall. At least I recall hitting very little rain on the way home. I left around Noon.
I should have gotten your number lol