New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Discussion
Fancy Foam Vantage Build Thread

A couple people asked me to put up a build thread on the Vantage to show how it goes together.

I'll try to keep this brief, while not missing anything. Please excuse the pictures, these are the pictures shot for the manual that did not make it in. The airplane in the pics is a production cut kit, but the graphics were airbrushed on by myself since we did not have printed kits at that point.

The construction of the Vantage is not anything new, but it works.

Construction starts with hinging the ailerons and the horizontal. The kit includes Blenderm tape to hinge with. It helps to put a small strip under each end of the hinge as a retainer. Do not cut the ailerons or elevator loose from their surfaces. Leave them attached!

All assembly work is done on a flat surface to support the airframe. Everything starts upside down.

Next up is gluing on the nose shocky, fuse shocky and the horizontal stab.

Use foam safe CA for all gluing tasks. If you like a different glue use it, just make sure its foamsafe!
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Last edited by matchlessaero; Feb 23, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Once you've glued the flat assembly together, its time to cut the fuse apart. Cut the tabs with the hole in them with your knife. Always use a new blade for cutting foam.

You'll also need to cut the bottom half of the fuse away from the hingeline of the rudder. Leave the top half of the fuse attached to the rudder.

Next up, fit the bottom half of the fuse to the flat assembly. Slide the tabs into their notches and square everything up with something square. For my build, I used steel blocks and CDRom magnets to hold the foam against the blocks. Quick and easy!

Only once everything is square, glue the bottom in place with thin foam-safe.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Brian Chitty
sponsored by labor
United States, OK, Broken Arrow
Joined Jan 2006
338 Posts
Brandon said this thing "flys" together...whats taking so long? haha jk
Thanks for doing this build, I know there are a lot of people including myself that are just getting these awesome kits into their hands. Great job on the design. Looks killer. Can't wait to fly it!
Brian Chitty is offline Find More Posts by Brian Chitty
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Now its time to add some reinforcements and some carbon.

The reinforcements are small depron circles. The kit includes red ones for the fuse where the stripe hits. Glue two round circles on the fuse in the location shown, and two on the wings in the location shown.

Using one of the .040 carbon rods in the kit, cut a piece to cross from the wing to the fuse and one to the other side. This makes an X. Make sure the carbon will have enough length to stick at least 5-7mm into the depron.

A note on carbon bracing (and not just for this kit) When you install it, always make sure the carbon is inserted into the depron and not just lightly poking the outside. Also make sure that the carbon is not binding, or too tight- Doing so just binds the airplane up and builds in a failure point or something to make the airframe crooked.

Finish up the bracing by adding the reinforcing post to each wing. Put a circle directly under the crossing point of the wing carbon. Stick a small carbon scrap into the circle and glue it to the crossing point of the carbon. Finish this off by wrapping some thread around this crossing point to bind it all together and soak with a drop of thin CA.

BTW, I use scissors to cut the carbon and wear safety glasses when I do. Another helpful trick is to cut the carbon slightly on an angle. This helps when inserting the carbon into the depron - twisting the carbon a little as you insert it helps as well.

Once you have the wing carbon in place, glue each end with a little thin CA.

Next up is the fuse. Cut the carbon in the same fashion and attach it to the shocky and the fuse in the same way you did the wings. No depron reinforcements are used here, so you will only need to insert the carbon 3mm. After all the carbon is in place, CA it with thin CA. Don't forget to Carbon the horizontal stab.

Once you've finished one side, turn the airplane 180 degrees and do the other side as a mirror image.
Last edited by matchlessaero; Feb 23, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:37 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Whats takin so long? : )

My Tigers are playin that worthless Orange team! LOL
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Landing gear is next.

First put a couple of the depron reinforcing circles on the nose shocky in the position shown.

Next up cut two 3mm carbon legs. I like my landing gear legs to run about 8" long.

Insert those legs in the fuse and cross them to the reinforcing circles. Glue in that whole assembly once you are sure everything is square.

The legs are structural and do as much to keep the fuse/wing square as they do to support on landings.

BTW, its not at all necessary, but if you are particularly hard on landings, then cut 2 small 1/2" circles of plastic from a servo package or other package. Cut a small hole through it and feed it over the legs on both sides of the fuse to reinforce it.

Now you can stand the bird up on its legs!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:52 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Time to glue the fuselage top on.

Slide everything into place and pull it tight onto the assembly. Use the square in the kit to square it up and glue the top in place with thin CA. Don't glue anything up until you're sure the whole assembly is right!

Put a little hinge tape on the rudder and hinge the rudder to the bottom half of the fuse.

The motor mount is very slick (a Mike thing) It slides on the front of the fuse and ties the whole nose together nicely. Yet again a job for thin foamsafe CA.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:56 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Final basic assembly item is to add the drag aids.... Thin CA for everything.

The wing tip aids should have their milled sides facing in. They should match the angle of the milling and the forward edges of the leading edge extension.

The aids on the rudder and the wingtips go either way.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Looking good Jeremy!!

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
For smooth surfaces, you can simply glue the pants on the legs and let the airplane slide on the pants.

For rougher surfaces, use the enclosed wire to bend an axle and slide the wheel on. Heatshrink tubing is enclosed in the kit to secure the axle to the leg. A long 'loop' on the leg end of the axle will stabilize it on the leg. I use kevlar thread on my own legs.

Bend an L shape on the other end of the axle to glue the wheelpant to.

BTW, don't leave the wheelpants off. They are there for a reason (not just to be pretty) and you will have some roll coupling with out them.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Finally, its time to prep the hardware and get ready to install gear.

Start with prepping the cool little pushrod guides. Cut them into sections.

Cut the supplied music wire into 1.5" sections and put a z-bend on them.

I like to harden the holes in the control horns with CA to make them longer wearing... (Yes, I have 2 yr old F3P foamies which are still flying that have slop from worn out control horns ).

Its also time to select locations for the gear.

The aileron servo should go very far forward. The further forward, the less bias you'll get in your ailerons. Rudder and elevator servos should go as far back as possible considering the length of the leads.

I like to have the tail servos exit out the top of the airplane to keep the pushrod ends accessable and the aileron servo to point down so to not interfere with the battery location.

Mark your locations for the control horns and cut tight slots for each. Glue them in place with thin CA. Make sure the holes are directly over the hingelines to avoid creating any control bias.

Attach the z-bends to the .040 carbon pushrods with the supplied heatshrink. Fit everything up and don't forget pushrod guides on the long pushrods (I like 3 per tail surface pushrod).
Last edited by matchlessaero; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:17 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Finally, the CG is 3" back from the leading edge of the wing at the root for best 3D handling. .

I like to put the battery on top of the wing, on the opposite side from the reciever and aileron servo. I use small strips of velcro to retain my battery. Don't overdo it on the velcro. It serves little purpose beyond holding the batt in place!

Design thoughts? I designed this to fly like a pattern plane. It is not designed to fly Knife Edge with no rudder deflection. Its designed to behave the same always in every attitude and to respond progressively to control inputs without surprises.

What gear do I like in mine?

I run:

3 D4.7 servos (available at Fancy Foam)
2DogRC Chrome Chaos Motor (with the front plate removed)
GWS 8x4.3 propeller
Berg 4L reciever with Azarr Antenna
Castle TB6 ESC with Deans Connectors.
Dualsky 2s 300mah pack
Last edited by matchlessaero; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:33 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone has a question about building theirs. : )
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Sweet.. thanks for posting.

So how long did it take you to go from package to RTF?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:49 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Quote:
So how long did it take you to go from package to RTF?
BoneDoc, at the E-fest, I went from box to ready to gear up in 50 mins flat. This was without my regular tools and building surface.

I can gear one up in about 45 mins as well.....