HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:02 PM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
Build Log
A junior Just Junior 60

This is not a full build log. I started on this build last Sunday afternoon.
I decided to build the Just Junior scaled by 60%, it just happens to work in my self imposed 40" span max builds at this time.
I used 1/8" square for the build instead of 3/16 square. The Outerzone plan for the Junior 60 has the rib templates messed up. They plan calls for 16 of the center ribs and 3 of the wing ribs.
So this is where I am at today.
Patzpaint is offline Find More Posts by Patzpaint
Last edited by Patzpaint; Jan 24, 2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Wrong plan listed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:27 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,305 Posts
Very nice!! I also enjoy smaller planes. Let me tell you that the main structure of the original Junior 60 is made with 6mm square strips, not 5mm
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:50 PM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
This is actually a 60% Just Junior, not a Jnr 60. Sorry about the mistake. The Just Jnr is a scaled down Jnr 60!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:44 PM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
The parts going together

I should have posted these first I guess.
The fuselage went together in about 3 hours. The wing panels were about 4 hrs each, the tail feathers maybe 4 hrs including sanding them. The wings used about 1 hour sanding time. The covering was a 5 hour job.
Now, I intend to use a "Electrify Rimfire 250 28-13-1750 kva" motor, with an 8x6 prop, and a 3S E-flite 11.1 1000mah battery. I have a new 18A ESC that I was going to use, I also have an 8A, but I thought it may be too light.
Any thoughts on this setup is greatly appreciated. I am new to electric flight power. I started out in the late 50's last century with those noisy, unmuffled screamers in control line flying.
I have always wanted to build one of these "old style" airplanes, so this is me getting my feet wet with an oldy.
BTW, I started flying RC back in 1964, with a single channel escapement in an AeroFlite Invader with a .09 Enya.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:48 PM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
This is the posting that got me looking at this design.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295863
Old Jan 25, 2015, 01:37 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzpaint View Post
This is the posting that got me looking at this design.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2295863
Well done Patz, and I'm glad that my J48 has prompted this build. Really nice construction, and im sure it will be a great flier.

Had my J48 out Saturday and suddenly the model twitched into a 45 degree bank... My first thought was a radio glitch, but then I realised that I'd touched on a thermal so did a rapid turn back into it. It was real fun to circle in and out of the thermal and shoot up in altitude., which was rather unexpected in temperatures hovering around the zero Mark.

This is a delightful model, and the reduced scale version that I built is undoubtedly better than the full sized version I have, so good luck and watching with interest !

Chris
Chris Jenkins is online now Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:42 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Quote:
...The Outerzone plan for the Junior 60 has the rib templates messed up. They plan calls for 16 of the center ribs and 3 of the wing ribs...
The Just Junior plan on Outerzone is (...was) a very good scan of the original plan showing all the detail exactly as it was printed by Aeromodeller. That is how it appeared in the magazine. Complete with typos.

I have always been reluctant to start editing mistakes on these old plans, I think that is frankly not my job. But for you, in this case, I have just made an exception. Have edited the text on this plan to correct it.

Good luck with your build.

Steve
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:07 PM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
Thanks Steve, I just thought it was an odd mistake for them to make. The plane is finished, weighs 10.5 ozs ready to fly. I now have 5 planes with 48" wingspan or less to take to a field.
The balance is exactly where the plan says. I am looking forward to the maiden flight maybe later this week, it is supposed to be sunny and warm....10+c
Old Jan 26, 2015, 03:14 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
Nice. What did the wingspan come out as?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 04:35 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Nice. What did the wingspan come out as?
Steve, I think you're hinting at another error...
In addition to the wing ribs mix-up, IIRC, the article states 42" or something like that (another error). The span should be given as 48" and that's what measuring the plan gives.
I kept the plan for years, thinking "Shame it's a bit too small, 48" would be better".
Then one day, (years ago) I thought the plan looked bigger than 42" so I measured it and, sure enough, it is 48" span!
I also saw the original fly at Old Warden, and there's no doubt about the 48" span.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:40 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,289 Posts
No, to be honest, I just like the look of it, and was wondering what the wing loading works out at. I'm a little bit obsessed with trying to get slower flying models through lighter wing loading.

Yes, The plan is 48in wingspan as printed, though.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:02 AM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
I owe you all an apology for my 60% Just Junior. I originally printed out a 60% Jnr 60, then saw the 48" Just Junior and I figured I wanted it 36" span which is what I printed out. So it is a 75% Just Junior����
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:07 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
915 Posts
I see that you laser cut the parts for this one Pat. Did you do this and the CAD yourself ?

Looks nice, and good luck with the maiden !
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:27 AM
Patzpaint
Canada, BC, White Rock
Joined Sep 2014
54 Posts
Chris, I just printed the plan at 75%, and a trusty x-acto blade(or 2), a plywood rib template, and went at it.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
915 Posts
Quote:
Chris, I just printed the plan at 75%, and a trusty x-acto blade(or 2), a plywood rib template, and went at it.
My mistake, thought I could see burn marks but it must just be camera shadow.