HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:01 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
Another great week. Went out twice this week during lunch break at work. I'm getting much more confortable with this plane and am coming in on shorter approaches. I'm also doing aileron rolls at lower altitudes and playing around with stalls. This is a great flying plane... and will be even greater once I install the three gyros I ordered for it
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
Gyros!

I finally got the gyros installed (Pic 34). They are so cool. I can't wait to take this thing up in the air and see how the gyros do. This will be my first airplane with gyros.

I have to wait though. One of my motors went out in flight. I landed safely. I've already ordered two new motors but just have to wait for them to arrive in the mail. Painful.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
The new motors shipped today. In the meantime, I added lights inside the cowl, behind the screen (see pic 32) I'll post pics once the new motors arrive.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:51 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
New motors

Pic 35: My new Turnigy 2213 motors and 3-blade 8x6 props.

Pic 36: Lights!

Pic 37: Bench testing results. My RPM's are not matched as well as before. I may need to put the ESC's on separate channels and mix them thru the radio. Pitch speed is now 46 MPH, and I'm getting 400 watts, which is too much for the motor. I'll have to stay away from full throttle.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:18 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
I got the ESCs on separate channels now and the RPMs are almost exactly matched. I put the right motor on Ch 7, controlled by the trainer switch. This way, I can pull the trainer switch and cut off the right motor to practice a motor-out scenario so I'll be ready for it when the time comes (again).

The new motors and props added a little weight to the nose. I counter-balanced this with new 3.25" wheels on the mains (pic 36). It looks so much better than before (see pic 34).

The new all-up weight is 4.5 lb.

It's loaded in my car ready for a flight tomorrow during lunch break (hopefully).

Just to recap all the changes, the next flight will be the first flight with new motors, new props, new wheels, new gyros, new all-up weight, new lights and new internal wiring. I get to maiden this plane all over again!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
Success!

The flight during lunch break today was a great success! I had a blast flying this plane and getting the gyro gains tuned properly. I had to land and redjust the gains about 4-5 times before the plane was flying the way I wanted it to.

At first, the gain was too low and the model would tend to drift. I then cranked up the gains and the plane started rocking left to right very fast (aileron gain was too high). On the next flight, the plane was very sluggish and did not want to turn when it was banked (elevator gain too high and was resisting motion). I eventually got it just right, and was playing around in the air switching the gyros on and off to see/feel the differences. What a diference it makes! I was actually getting annoyed when the winds died down. When they picked up again and the air got all turbulent, I was really enjoying myself, lol. You could see the plane reacting immediately to the disturbances and the plane stayed straight and level.

I also found it interesting how I could bank the plane at 45 degrees, and then stay hands off and watch it hold itself at that bank angle (as if there were no dihedral to correct it) while turning. It didn't want to dive because the elevator gyro was keeping it level though the turn.

Only on the last landing of the day did I bring it all the way down to the ground with the gyros on. Landing on the new wheels is also great. They absorb the landing loads much better and also roll much better on our dirt & pebbles field.

It was a crowd pleaser for the few that were there to witness it today
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:23 PM
zup
United States, PA, Oakdale
Joined Jan 2008
811 Posts
you mentioned turning the gyros off landing? i would think they would help it stay straight in a crosswind. i may get one and try it on the rudder. seems everytime i try using rudder landing i bump the throttle up or down. i would also think it would help keep the plane straight on takeoffs.
zup
zup is offline Find More Posts by zup
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:55 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
Yeah, for the first few flights I turned the gyros off when close to the ground until I learned their capabilities. I would recommend you do the same as the ground is your biggest enemy.

You can't fly straight in a crosswind. The plane will always drift with the wind, gyros or no gyros. Gyros will help fight the turbulence or sudden gusts. You'll still have to fly the plane slightly sideways in a crosswind approach and kick it straight with the rudder right as you flare.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 03:13 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
I've been waiting for a day like today ever since I got the gyros. It was very windy and gusty with various thermals all over the place. The plane flew like a champ. You could really see those gyros working hard to keep the plane straight. Very pleased with the gyros.

This plane has been getting about 30-40 minutes in the air and about 10-20 landings each week. I've never flown a single plane this often. It's extremely low maintenance (almost none), so you really get a lot of enjoyment from it. A coworker of mine is getting most of the flight time on the buddy box. He had his first takeoff 2 weeks ago and I hardly ever have to recover the plane from him anymore. I just get to spend a few seconds each week landing the plane... except today it was all me flying for 30 minutes practicing spot landings. I'm getting pretty good
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:21 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
R.I.P. Twin Otter

There was a spectacular mid-air collision at the field this morning, unfortunately I was part of it.

I was flying the upwind leg of the pattern after several touch and goes when suddenly a little EDF jet came screaming downwind. The jet cut right thru my left wingtip like butter. The Otter immediately began to roll hard to the left. I quickly acted by applying full right aileron, noticed no difference so I added full right rudder, and when I still noticed no difference I cut the throttle and just watched the scene unfold.

The Otter was in a rolling dive straight towards the pit area where several expensive gliders were sitting next to each other on the ground. Several people yelled "watch out!", one guy looked up just in time to see an Otter coming right at him and he jumped out of the way. The Otter smashed into the ground and created quite a nice debris field. Somehow, it didn't smash directly into any of the gliders, but something did hit a leading edge of one of the gliders and caused minor damage. Both the EDF jet and the Otter were total losses, as they were both balsa models. The EDF jet ended up in an empty spot on the other end of the field. The left wingtip was still in tact with damage only near the inboard end of it where the EDF cut thru. It was about 6 inches in span.

Several servos were stripped, and all the rest of the electronics look okay visually. The LiPo was beat up a bit, but is still holding its charge with the cells in balance.

Another one bites the dust...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:09 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
So the edf was flying against the pattern?
If so, any apology from the perp?

Nice descriptive play-by-play
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:51 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
Yes, EDF was out of pattern. I tried to tell him that, but he just said it was a one in a million shot. At 13, I learned to fly at a club where they always enforced the pattern. At the field I currently fly at, there is no such thing as pattern. A few people know what it is, but most people are clueless. It's a shame.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Man what a moron even I know about flying the pattern at the field and I mostly fly sailplanes. When I do fly a power planes I fly the pattern its second nature.
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Dec 05, 2009, 06:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer View Post
I finally got the gyros installed (Pic 34). They are so cool. I can't wait to take this thing up in the air and see how the gyros do. This will be my first airplane with gyros.

I have to wait though. One of my motors went out in flight. I landed safely. I've already ordered two new motors but just have to wait for them to arrive in the mail. Painful.

Hello i'm french, I do the same plane than you, TO Vmar with 3 gyros turnigy 380, all same.
And where are you connect orange cable which is only to go out of gyro?
breizhtom is offline Find More Posts by breizhtom
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:34 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,438 Posts
I connected it to a spare channel on my receiver. With that, you will be able to turn the gyro on/off in flight with a switch on your transmitter.