HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2008, 08:23 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Discussion
ITC Mosquito Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV)

http://www.switched.com/category/ces-2008/page/3/ (scrool down till you see it.)

I just copied and pasted this...

Radio-controlled (RC) aviation is no new phenomenon in the world of gadgets and miracles. But this year,Toronto's Interactive Toy Concepts has brought something new to this year's CES in Las Vegas, however, with a toy it's billing as the world's smallest helicopter. The Mosquito Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV) is an indoor flying machine that is only about 2.5 inches tall, 4 inches long, with a rotor diameter of just 3.5 inches!

The Mosquito MAV boasts a dual-rotor design and uses micro motor technology to enable users to fly from roost to roost anywhere within a twenty foot range. The chopper comes with a built-in lithium polymer battery that lasts for a disappointing 7 minutes. The good news, though, is that charging the battery takes only five minutes. This toy helicopter will be available this year at most major retail and electronic stores for an affordable $49.99.

Overall, we like Mosquito MAV for its precise flight control, its novelty and perhaps, most importantly, the doable price... Okay, we don't want to lie -- we really got a kick out of it because the look on electronics industry executives' faces when the helicopter whizzed by at CES Unveiled last night was priceless. But if shocking people with mini-helicopters is not your thing, we recommend you check out other superlative products from Interactive Toys. Perhaps something like the world's smallest radio controlled onrnithopter, a flapping creature labeled the iFLY VAMP, will make you fall in love as you give someone and give their Pacemaker the willies.
AirNerd is offline Find More Posts by AirNerd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:15 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,047 Posts
oooh, nice find. since the tail motor is set horizontally, that must mean they finally
went with a single motor to drive the upper and lower rotor. this is a good thing as
it makes yaw stability/control better.

interesting comment about the "charging the battery only takes 5 minutes" but has a 7
minute flight time. pretty cool though, 3.5" rotors (same size as his 2.5 gram nanoflyer).
glad to see Petter Murens work still being developed.

thanks for the post

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:18 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
AH, darn it, I almost thought it was a 3 channel, that would have been COOL. but still this is pretty small too.
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:19 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jul 2007
416 Posts
Nice find & interesting design. Sort-of a Firefly / Havoc hybrid on first glance.
Direct link to the article - standalone fashion:
http://www.switched.com/2008/01/06/w...s-at-ces-2008/
A close look @ the picture shows a 6 or 7 mm pager motor mounted horizontally at the back (above the tail shaft).
OkFrst'r is offline Find More Posts by OkFrst'r
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:20 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
that is awesome!! For a disappointing 7 mins, that is long, esp. for a 5 min charge.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:26 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkFrst'r
Nice find & interesting design. Sort-of a Firefly / Havoc hybrid on first glance.
Direct link to the article - standalone fashion:
http://www.switched.com/2008/01/06/w...s-at-ces-2008/
A close look @ the picture shows a 6 or 7 mm pager motor mounted horizontally at the back (above the tail shaft).

Thanks
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:01 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
oooh, nice find. since the tail motor is set horizontally, that must mean they finally
went with a single motor to drive the upper and lower rotor. this is a good thing as
it makes yaw stability/control better.

interesting comment about the "charging the battery only takes 5 minutes" but has a 7
minute flight time. pretty cool though, 3.5" rotors (same size as his 2.5 gram nanoflyer).
glad to see Petter Murens work still being developed.

thanks for the post

nick
http://www.proxflyer.com/na_meny.htm
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:16 PM
rotor head
St. Joseph, (NW) Missouri
Joined Dec 2006
423 Posts
Nice link Lee. I took a look at some of the other prototypes on that page and that twin tail mosquito looks awsome, I wish they would put it into production.
EP_Heli is offline Find More Posts by EP_Heli
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:55 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Isn't the name "MAV" already in use by Plantraco for their little tiny flying wing?
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:10 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Its just an abbreviation I beleive.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:20 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Yeah, but its used as a name. It's not a common abbreviation, I had never
heard it before Plantraco used it.
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Jan 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
"raven" didn't fit, heh
southeast Alaska
Joined Nov 2007
934 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_air_vehicle

MAV (the term) is an "evolution" of UAV
grandfather ra is offline Find More Posts by grandfather ra
Old Jan 10, 2008, 04:34 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfather ra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_air_vehicle

MAV (the term) is an "evolution" of UAV
Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
What a piece of junk, I'm so dissapointed with this thing. It's barely flyable. I'm exchanging mine for the MAV DaVinci.

DOn't waste your money on it. It should be selling for $10 max. but instead sells at a whoppin' $49.95
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:03 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
Whats bad about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
What a piece of junk, I'm so dissapointed with this thing. It's barely flyable. I'm exchanging mine for the MAV DaVinci.

DOn't waste your money on it. It should be selling for $10 max. but instead sells at a whoppin' $49.95
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29