SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2001, 01:19 PM
Stavanger, Norway
Joined May 1999
35 Posts
Which motor for Astro Partenavia ?

Hi all,

I've just got one Astro Partenavia (Twin) and would like any advice on el.setup. Motors, accu, controller and prop.

I have two permax 400's. Would they work on 7-8 cells ? If so, which props.

Thanks.

Svein-Helge
shlea is offline Find More Posts by shlea
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2001, 07:08 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Mine has not flown yet, so this information is not proven. However, I spoke with Bob Boucher of AstroFlight and he believes it will work.

I have 2, AstroFlight 035 sport wind motors on 8 cells using 7x5 props, direct drive. It should fly very well. I will be using a pack of red Sanyo 1250 cells for the first flights because they weigh less than RC2000 or other large cells, and i want the lightest model I can get for the first flights.

I do not believe two 400 size motors will fly the model, even if you build very light. Speed 480 motors can handle more current and may be capable. If money were no problem, then two 05-sized brushless motors would be great - that would allow perhaps 800 watts power. Short flights, but awesome!

Good luck,

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jul 08, 2001, 09:54 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi,
I heard that the stock " long 400" size motors, that HL sells for $27/pr with props) works fine if you keep it light. I asked the same question and a couple of guys who are flying them answered

Terry:
8 cells sounds like a lot for an 035 with a 7-5. I fly several AF 05's with 7 cells and APC 7-4 props. That combo pulls over 25a static, and turns up the props about 14K

The seaplane ( modified Puddlemaster ) with the stock 05 ( one ) weighs 48 oz and will climb out at 30 degrees or so after takeoff!

If you haven't flown AF motors, you are in for a suprise. They are powerhouses! with 2 035's on the Partenavia it will either go ballistic or pull the wings off!!

Don't worry about the battery weight, with that much wing it will be a floater even with the larger batteries. I fly a single, with an AF 15G, 12 1900scr's, and about the same wing area and it lands like a pussycat

You may want to strengthen the wing and stab to handle the power, I doubt if it is strong enough to take 4 -5 times the design power.

Make sure you go to the can before the first flight to avoid accidents! It is really going to go!

Cheers
Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:45 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Hi, Dave,

AstroBob is where I got the suggestion for using the AF035's and cells and props, so if I burn up something - I ship it to him and remind him where I got the thought!

Also, I do over power my models, but use full throttle only on take-off. I have used AF cobalts for years, until about 3 years ago when I went to brushless - except for some small stuff. The AF 40 cobalts I had would handle 40 amps for short periods (never had a problem); I never could get the 60 to pull over 35 or 38 amps - but it never got hot at that. Again, I only once ran the motors full throttle for longer than 30-45 seconds. That one time, I loosened the magnets in my model and broke it too.

Thanks for "experience speaks" though; I appreciate it.

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc