HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:02 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Help!
Esc wires cut too short

Doing a first build. Not even going to say how it happened but the esc wires - (to the motors) got clipped too short. I mean they are down to the heat shrink on them. Not enough to really get a good splice.

I dug around some on this and from what I gathered, it's not advisable to solder new wires on to the esc? Outside of just getting a new esc, I'm wondering if it's feasible to fix this problem.

Thanks for any advice.
stuartambient is online now Find More Posts by stuartambient
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:39 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined Mar 2013
285 Posts
Cut the heat shrink off and have a look at where the wire is soldered to the esc before getting new ones. You have nothing to lose.
Madhampster is online now Find More Posts by Madhampster
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:59 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartambient View Post
Doing a first build. Not even going to say how it happened but the esc wires - (to the motors) got clipped too short. I mean they are down to the heat shrink on them. Not enough to really get a good splice.

I dug around some on this and from what I gathered, it's not advisable to solder new wires on to the esc? Outside of just getting a new esc, I'm wondering if it's feasible to fix this problem.

Thanks for any advice.
Only issue with soldering new wires on to the ESC would be if you do a bad job of it. Bad joint, short something out, etc. Well, I suppose you could overheat it too. But if you don't do any of those, you'll be fine.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Oct 16, 2014, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
I don't know. My soldering skills leave something to be desired. Not sure how well the pictures show but the joints are between those chips. I'm assuming that are not soldered to the pins themselves. It's a tight squeeze. Hmmm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,609 Posts
The wires are soldered to a pad between the MOSFETs which do connect to all 4 pins of each MOSFET. This would be a pretty easy soldering job but will require a medium size iron.
Here is a good video on soldering ESCs. They are not exactly like yours but still worth watching.
Warpquad ESC Prep (5 min 33 sec)
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
The wires are soldered to a pad between the MOSFETs which do connect to all 4 pins of each MOSFET. This would be a pretty easy soldering job but will require a medium size iron.
Here is a good video on soldering ESCs. They are not exactly like yours but still worth watching.
Good video. Yeah, my iron isn't great. I was able to get the wires off fairly quickly, however a good portion of solder remains. It does look like some of the solder touches some of the pins on the sides of the mofset's. It's a pretty tight space as well Not sure if I should try and either use a solder sucker, or the wick to clean it up, or neither. I'd be tempted to try and reuse the solder that is already on there but that is probably not a great method.

It's a $10 esc, but I'd still like to try and save it. Even if it was a spare for the future.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jan 2014
2,609 Posts
Try the solder wick. Be sure to pull a fresh part the the wick out of the roll and suck off the old soldered. Two reasons to do this:
1- it is probably No-lead solder which is harder to work with and do a good solder joint.
2- you want fresh solder and flux. So after the olde solder is cleaned off place a glob of fresh solder then solder the wires on.
Go for it as that is how you learn.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:20 PM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Sounds right. I'll be picking up some wick in the morning. Thanks for all the help. Will update when complete.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:24 AM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Question - When I put new heat shrink back on the esc, is it safe to use a heat gun?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:13 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jan 2014
2,609 Posts
Quote:
Question - When I put new heat shrink back on the esc, is it safe to use a heat gun?
Yes. I actually use a small torch to shrink to tubing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:02 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it's fine as long as you don't go crazy with the heatgun.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Guess my soldering job was a failure. Wicked the solder off pretty well from the pads, but the soldering part was difficult, mostly to my lack of experience and somewhat to a tight space. I did manage the connect the wires but it won't fire up so I'm thinking most likely I overheated the board or component on the board.

There was no smoke or anything from the esc. Just seems dead. Guess it is fairly easy to kill it with the iron.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:44 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jan 2014
2,609 Posts
Well you did try and that counts.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2014
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
Well you did try and that counts.
Yes, and now I have a dead board to practice on.