HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:09 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes View Post
If the airliner can dump the toilet holding tank in flight, how hard would dropping an EPIRB really be?
What model airliners - exactly?

EJ
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:22 AM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
687 Posts
I have read newspaper articles in the past, that state that the crew can dump the sewage holding tank in flight. According to an article in Wikipedia, Blue Ice is actually leakage from the aircraft sewage system, and can't be dumped in flight by the crew.

I don't know which is correct, the last commercial pilot I knew, moved away 40 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_(aircraft)

I doesn't really matter, it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture a device that could drop an EPIRB from the tail of an airliner.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Mar 26, 2014, 06:17 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Misinformation always matters. That's the only thing that's going on with the (supposed) "reporting" of the missing Malaysian B-777. In reality, it's all being done in the name of selling spaghetti sauce.

No, there is no way to dump lavatory holding tanks on modern airliners. The "blue ice" phenomena was just another slow news day, flash-in-the-pan media feeding frenzy.

As far as deploying an EPIRB in flight, why do it when there is at least one on one the the life rafts? Also, when is the optimum time to deploy it?

Arguing from a woulda-coulda-shoulda position does more harm than good. From the little that is known about the Malaysian B-777, there were specific actions taken by someone (pilots or otherwise) to make it disappear. That is the only thing that is know for now. There may never be more information to come to a fully-informed conclusion, and that's just the way it is.

EJ
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:38 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
As far as deploying an EPIRB in flight, why do it when there is at least one on one the the life rafts? Also, when is the optimum time to deploy it?
EJ
Having an EPIRB in the life rafts is good. As long as someone survives the crash to deploy the life raft, and activate the EPIRB. What about when they don't survive?

As for the optimum time to deploy it. I don't know, I am not an expert.

We are assuming that the flight crew is able to deploy the EPIRB. What about if the flight crew is incapacitated?

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:01 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
If the entire crew is incapacitated, presumably so are many others. Would anyone else know how to deploy a raft or even know what an EPIRB is? They are water activated, BTW.

I'd say that the best time to deploy an EPIRB is just before impacting the water. That would cut-down on the search area for the rescuers. You would agree that the best place for the EPIRB is in a life raft - where the survivors are.

Here's a link of the U.S. Federal Air Regulations pertaining to Extended Overwater Operations. U.S. airlines operate under Part 121, so take a look those regulations:

http://www.winslowliferaft.com/fars.html#121

Here's an interesting article on aircraft crash survival. Now imagine just 10%-20% of 200-300 people on an airliner going bonkers when fecal matter comes in very close tolerance of the oscillating device:

http://www.onebag.com/popups/plane-crashes.pdf

EJ
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:11 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,315 Posts
I was an airline mechanic. The waste dump is a pull cable under the exterior service panel. The actual dump has a rubber biscuit for a seal, under a sealed door. The newer planes have a gate valve instead of the biscuit.
On the older planes, the person servicing it opens the sealed door carefully, incase of leakage. Connects the dump hose, it has a handle that you push in to connect with the biscuit seal, give it a turn to release the seal, pull the handle outward, to pull back the seal. Then pull the dump cable. No way to operate it in flight. They leak when the seal is not put back properly, sometimes gets debris under the seal, or just needs a new one.
The EPIRB's we installed where in the stow bin by an exit. On most of the airplanes they did not have a life raft, they just use the emergency slide.

Waste hose connector. T handle is for the biscuit seal.

Here is a newer plane

How airplanes toilets are cleaned (3 min 17 sec)
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:15 AM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,648 Posts
And I'm here to tell y'all.....
It's a combined effort between the aliens & the CIA!
Both parties needed fresh test subjects and the aliens needed some scrap metal for maintenance/repairs!
The whole thing was "beamed aboard" the CIA's mothership, thus no debris to be had...
"Just the facts" Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski